Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 23, 2018, 06:34:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

56 Guests, 1 User

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: STAR WARS: EPISODE VIII - THE LAST JEDI  (Read 4722 times)

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
Re: STAR WARS: EPISODE VIII - THE LAST JEDI
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2017, 07:06:11 AM »

I agree with CJ inasmuch as I'm sure they are crunching the numbers and trying to figure out why the audience reaction is what it is. I'm wondering, though, how many of us would have left ESB in 1980 completely satisfied? I remember being pissed off that it was left hanging like that.

If Rotten Tomatoes existed back then, would the greatest movie ever made have fared much better in the first week after its release? I honestly believe we are only able to appreciate ESB for what it is because of the unbelievably tidy way everything was resolved 3 years later by ROJ.

jjreason......when I first read your comment my first reaction was yea that's right, great insight jj.  

Then I started thinking about it - this can't be right I am agreeing with jj :).   I don't remember being pissed when I left ESB.  In fact I remember that I was really excited for the next movie and wow I never saw that coming, Darth Vader is Luke's Father.  It also made me go and look at the rotten tomatoes rating for Empire Stikes Back and over 1 million people have given it 97%.  Now I get that this rating is all in retrospect ie people having the ability to see all 3 movies together.  But even considering that, currently for TLJ to get a 97% rating it means the next 1,750,000 people to rate this movie would have to all say they like it.  Time will tell.... how this movie will be ultimately viewed.   We all have different taste in movies...my wife and I both like Kevin Costner's Water World - so what do I know ?
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

ambasah

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2017, 09:20:00 AM »

great discussion guys...and I will go see it again.

I doubt my feelings about Luke will change, but you never know : )

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2017, 10:12:38 AM »

I doubt my feelings about Luke will change, but you never know : )

Search your feelings, you know it will be more enjoyable on a second viewing :)

The more I think about it, the more I like how the climax was set up. Luke had to be a Force projection; the audience wanted a Luke vs Kylo confrontation, but the only problem is that despite Kylo's obvious skill and power, I think Luke would easily outmatch and kill Kylo in any physical duel. And storywise, it isn't Luke's job any more to be the main hero who defeats Kylo, it is Rey's. 

So by making Luke a projection who can't really lay a hand on Kylo, we can still see a confrontation of sorts, but Luke can't really defeat Kylo directly (yet he can still heroically hold him off in order to save his friends and bow out of the saga with nobility and grace).

Edit: Rian seems to be confirming that Kylo was not lying to Rey about her parents, it was genuinely what he believes too:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/reys-big-revelation-in-the-last-jedi-wasnt-a-fake-out-1821383962

“They were filthy junk traders,” Kylo Ren told her. “Sold you off for drinking money. They’re dead in a pauper’s grave in the Jakku desert. You come from nothing. You’re nothing, but not to me.”

This revelation sent some Star Wars fans reeling (though I personally loved it), and others insist it’s not actually true, that Kylo Ren was tricking her in order to secure her support. Surely, there’s something else he knows, right, something he’s keeping hidden from her so she doesn’t learn the truth about who she really is? According to The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson, nope.

“For me, in that moment, Kylo believes it’s the truth,” Johnson told Entertainment Weekly. “I don’t think he’s purely playing chess. I think that’s what he saw when they touched fingers and that’s what he believes. And when he tells her that in that moment, she believes it.”
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 10:51:35 AM by napseeker »
Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

66jedikiller66

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2017, 11:38:26 AM »

So here is my opinion, I really did not like TFA there were certain aspects I liked and it was great seeing my childhood heroes in the roles that made them all famous again but I left the theater feeling empty inside, the same way I felt after the prequels, ROTS came close but not quite.
I don't judge acting skills too much in Star Wars movies because, let's be honest here, the acting is bad in every movie from
ANH -TLJ (the best acting I've seen in TFA and TLJ is by the actors who play Chewbacca)
The only reason the original cast's, Hamill Fisher and Ford's, acting seemed decent is because of the chemistry the 3 had together. I also think the addition of Billy Dee Williams character to the fold only enhanced it even more.
The truth to this whole situation, for me at least, has been to feel the same way I felt when I was 8 years old and saw ANH for the first time on the big screen, I remember sitting there in awe and wonderment at what I had just seen and was kind of in a trance until my Mom and sister made me leave.
Well, TLJ has finally finally made me feel that way again.
In the new trilogy I also find that the chemistry between Boyega, Ridley and Isaac electrifying as well very close to the same level as the originals.
I really love Rian Johnson's directing because there always seems to be a sense of urgency to his action scenes, even during the lagging second act I was still happy with what was going on.
Yes the Resistance fleet's never ending escape dragged on a little apparently even Poe thought so because he tried to spice it up during it.
I was genuinely excited during the battle scenes and near the end I seriously thought Fin was going to die when he tried his suicide run against the big laser battering ram.
I think the chemistry between Boyega and Tran is amazing, they had to fit love into this movie no matter what but many fans don't like the interracial aspect of Fin and Rey.
I find it very amusing that I haven't heard anyone complain about the kiss that happened between Fin and Rose and that she told him she loved him, well not exactly but you know where she was coming from.
It's pretty obvious that Disney is drifting further away from the possibility of Fin and Rey hooking up i was sad when they didn't kiss after being away from each other all we got was an unusually long hug.
The closed mindedness of many fans is incredibly sad especially when we all think we are so modern and high tech now, time to move on people we need more diversity in our times.
The funniest part about some people's opinion is that no matter how much they didn't like it they'll probably see it again and for all of you who have said they will never go see it because they are purists and they have heard bad reviews...
You should go because you can't form an opinion of your own based upon someone else's point of view.
I forgot about the most awkward part of the movie the milking of the Thala-Siren I understand why that was put in. It wasn't just to show Luke's daily schedule it was to create more talk and hype about the movie, remember even bad publicity is still good publicity.
I also would really like to see Hasbro try and market something like that in a figure could you imagine that 2 pack?
Thala-Siren with milk squirting action.
That would be so awesome.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 11:40:46 AM by 66jedikiller66 »

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2017, 12:48:09 PM »

Sadly, I'd pay right up front. I love the creatures & try to get everyone they create in the 3.75" format.  :speechless-smiley-004:

A very interesting thing happening here is that the Force ghosts now DO be able to touch things in the real world. Rember, Yoda bonks Luke with his cane & sets fire to the tree with real-life lightning. I wonder if Luke will play a role in the final duel with Kylo from beyond the grave.

IanToronto

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2017, 02:16:29 PM »

Haven't read anything here or anywhere else....I had surgery this past Thursday and won't be able to see the movie until after December 20th.  It's been difficult....let me tell you.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 07:38:50 PM by IanToronto »

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2017, 06:09:06 PM »

Hope you're feeling as well as can be, Ian. The movie will be there for you as soon as you're well enough to get there!

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2017, 08:53:52 PM »

Haven't read anything here or anywhere else....I had surgery this past Thursday and won't be able to see the movie until after December 20th.  It's been difficult....let me tell you.
Hope your recovery goes well. Looking forward to your comments about the movie when you see it.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2017, 08:58:59 PM »

I agree with CJ inasmuch as I'm sure they are crunching the numbers and trying to figure out why the audience reaction is what it is. I'm wondering, though, how many of us would have left ESB in 1980 completely satisfied? I remember being pissed off that it was left hanging like that.

If Rotten Tomatoes existed back then, would the greatest movie ever made have fared much better in the first week after its release? I honestly believe we are only able to appreciate ESB for what it is because of the unbelievably tidy way everything was resolved 3 years later by ROJ.

jjreason......when I first read your comment my first reaction was yea that's right, great insight jj.  

Then I started thinking about it - this can't be right I am agreeing with jj :).   I don't remember being pissed when I left ESB.  In fact I remember that I was really excited for the next movie and wow I never saw that coming, Darth Vader is Luke's Father.  It also made me go and look at the rotten tomatoes rating for Empire Stikes Back and over 1 million people have given it 97%.  Now I get that this rating is all in retrospect ie people having the ability to see all 3 movies together.  But even considering that, currently for TLJ to get a 97% rating it means the next 1,750,000 people to rate this movie would have to all say they like it.  Time will tell.... how this movie will be ultimately viewed.   We all have different taste in movies...my wife and I both like Kevin Costner's Water World - so what do I know ?
I think this is apples and oranges. Since Rotten Tomatoes didn't exist for over 30 years after ESB, everyone is rating it in retrospect. So, to compare, you would have to eliminate ALL TLJ reviews for the next 30 years, and only count those that start coming in after that :scared0008:
I agree with JJ here. None of us can likely say with complete certainty what we thought after the first viewing of ESB. I can say for sure that it was not my favourite for many years, likely (if only subconsciously) due to the fact that the rebels get their butts handed to them all movie. However, because it is so well done, but also because ROTJ ties up all the loose threads that were left hanging and bothered us about ESB, we can look back at it as the all-time classic it is.
Now, I am not saying we will be able to do the same with TLJ, but only that we should give it a chance, and hold out until episode 9 for a final verdict.

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2017, 09:12:23 PM »

Ian:

Can not be easy being a super fan and you can't see the movie.  Hope you get well soon.   Then you can join the rest of gang and tell us what you think of the movie.   :artoo:

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 19, 2017, 10:56:46 PM »

Has anybody read the negative reviews on rotten tomatoes?   Man, am I ever glad to have Snowtroopers to discuss the movie.   The reason it is getting 55% is there are a lot of very mad people  :mad0177:, giving it 1/2 to 1 star.  They are out right angry.   >:( .   And they really do not like Rose.  Hopefully Ron Howard will be able to get the haters back on side with Solo.   

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2017, 12:03:25 AM »

They can hate all they want, I loved Luke's story and that's more than enough for me to enjoy this movie. They let the dry & witty Mark shine through.

jmac

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2017, 09:48:06 AM »

At my first viewing, I was disappointed, after my second viewing I liked it a lot better. I really don't get why people would be angry about the movie though. Yes, there were some odd things in there, but it is just a fantasy movie. No injustice was done to any real people, apart from maybe spending a little money on a movie that they didn't like. I think a big part of the problem is many people live a life of relative ease and have a feeling of entitlement. When things are not going perfectly their way, even in areas that affect their real life in no way whatsoever, they get angry and look for someone to blame. Anyway, I'm glad that the reviews are a lot more level headed at Snowtroopers, and by the way, I thought Rose was one of the best parts of the movie!

ambasah

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 20, 2017, 09:49:23 AM »

did you guys watch the Jimmy Kimmel star wars special he had recently? I saw it on repeat yesterday. Loved how he called out the director for not including Billy Dee.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2017, 01:41:15 PM »

At my first viewing, I was disappointed, after my second viewing I liked it a lot better. I really don't get why people would be angry about the movie though. Yes, there were some odd things in there, but it is just a fantasy movie. No injustice was done to any real people, apart from maybe spending a little money on a movie that they didn't like. I think a big part of the problem is many people live a life of relative ease and have a feeling of entitlement. When things are not going perfectly their way, even in areas that affect their real life in no way whatsoever, they get angry and look for someone to blame. Anyway, I'm glad that the reviews are a lot more level headed at Snowtroopers, and by the way, I thought Rose was one of the best parts of the movie!

Yeah, I remember on my first viewing, even though I was disappointed (not anymore!!!) that I wasn't going to go on and on about it. It was just a movie. Maybe not for me but still just a movie. The OT and my growing up with it is one era, one experience, one thing that is a part of me. Why does everything SW, especially everything coming out years later and made by everyone but George Lucas, need to be perfect or throw me into a fit of nerd rage? I mean, I even had to come to terms with this reality with the prequels and they were made by the Maker himself! Different times, different cultural landscape, different cinematic landscape, and I was different too as were the years growing with them. To expect a 40 something to experience something on par with that in this era of media saturation and to do so with an adult mind and expect to get that OT vibe instantaneously when it took years of living with it to establish that kind of deep connection? Is just so odd an expectation.

And then there's the petition to remove the film from...I guess canon and redo it? Which is so sad it is hilarious. I mean, the number of people amongst those on rebelscum who are loving the idea of the petition are also those who often take jabs at anti-Trump types who scream at the sky or call people SJWs! When those people are actually railing against someone who has their possibly insanely driven finger on the nuclear button!

It is the angry SW nerd's version of screaming at the sky. I've got a new term for them anyway! SWJWs!  :rollfloorlaffsmiley:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169126
  • Total Topics: 14345
  • Online Today: 78
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 56
Total: 57

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 39 queries.