Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 24, 2018, 04:22:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

25 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: STAR WARS: EPISODE VIII - THE LAST JEDI  (Read 4741 times)

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
Re: STAR WARS: EPISODE VIII - THE LAST JEDI
« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2017, 01:42:23 PM »

Has anybody read the negative reviews on rotten tomatoes?   Man, am I ever glad to have Snowtroopers to discuss the movie.   The reason it is getting 55% is there are a lot of very mad people  :mad0177:, giving it 1/2 to 1 star.

TLJ has gotten a 55% audience review because Rotten Tomatoes apparently got "hacked" and there's a disgruntled fan who has been biasing the votes towards the negative side. We'll see in time how fans feel about the movie, being the middle child in the trilogy can be a difficult spot...
Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2017, 10:39:32 PM »

Are you sure about that... sounds like fake news put out by Disney.   
I actually started reading through several posts - not sure how one person could hack and write all those different post.  Mind you, I did not read the 100,000 post that are there.   
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 20, 2017, 10:44:19 PM »

I think the fact that not everyone loves it right off the hop is interesting. Some people might come around & some likely won't - but to me that's the sign of a director & producer NOT playing it safe & NOT pandering to the fans desires/expectations/senses of entitlement.

People automatically assume that 95 percent of everyone polled is going to love Star Wars no matter what they feed us. Personally, I'd prefer them to make bold movies than give the masses what they want every time.

*Disclaimer - I'm not suggesting LJ is any more or less "bold" than any other entry in the series.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 20, 2017, 10:50:51 PM »

Are you sure about that... sounds like fake news put out by Disney.   
I actually started reading through several posts - not sure how one person could hack and write all those different post.  Mind you, I did not read the 100,000 post that are there.

No, Disney wasn't the one... the story broke because a specific person apparently bragged about how he hacked the audience vote as an act of revenge and to push Disney to restore the old EU. Sheesh, true or not, that's a great way to come off as the ultimate loser if you ask me. The people behind Rotten Tomatoes swear that the 56% rating is real (which they basically have to, they'd look like complete idiots if one person actually did manage to drastically alter one of their metrics so easily, it'd destroy the credibility of ALL of their audience rankings for every movie). 

Here's a link to the latest: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/12/20/rotten-tomatoes-last-jedi-score-legit/

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 21, 2017, 11:44:29 AM »

If it is true, it is hilarious! All the alt-right types who laughed at the scream at the sky movement are now wasting time using bots to hack a movie site about a fantasy film for nerds and kids as well as signing unrealistic go-nowhere petitions! It would be funny in a ha ha way if it wasn't so sad and frightening.

Did you read the guy's stated reasons? He basically flat out says he wants men to be the leaders of society again! I showed this to my daughter and she just rolled her eyes. I hate having to expose her to this kind of BS. I can see the frustration and sadness in the eyes of my wife and daughter every time some insecure yahoo doing something like this makes the news. Discouraging enough for me as a man, can't even begin to imagine what it would feel like to be a woman in these moments.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 11:54:31 AM by sinkie »

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 21, 2017, 03:04:49 PM »

It's hard to believe one guy in a position like that (not a significantly powerful one, by my assessment), can rally enough help from other morons to influence things. Goes to show how fragile some things on the internet - ie veracity of information - still are. Make sure you read as many sides of a story as you can these days!  :speechless-smiley-004:

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 21, 2017, 03:38:38 PM »

Guys.....please don't use bleeding truth as a source of news.

A poll any poll can be totally inaccurate .  If that was not true Hillary would be in office and not Trump.  The bleeding truth are just writing stories to drive you to their page.  Thank goodness there have only been 67 shares of this page.   The article even states they don't know how it was done - they just think it was done.
Take the time and read the reviews at rotten tomatoes .   I think if you do you will see people who are genuinely disappointed in the movie and they are very passionate about Star Wars.   
This story actually is a really good example of FAKE News.  People are disappointed in TLJ, the audience is giving it a low score, no big deal.   

It burns me when fake news people say things like:

"As Iím sure youíre aware by now, Star Wars Episode VIII The Last Jedi has an abysmal Rotten Tomatoes audience score which is in direct conflict with its high critics score. This by itself is rather unusual"

Complete BS, this happens all the time on rotten tomatoes, that critics love the movie and audiences do not.  And vice versa critics put the movie down and audiences love the movie.   If this was not true, you would never see another Michael Bay movie ever made.

PizzatheHutt

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 21, 2017, 04:38:31 PM »

It gets better with repeat viewings my first time seeing it was not sure if I liked or hated it.  I do like it now after seeing it a second time,  mind you it still has allot of issue's that are major one's.  It still ranks last for me out of all the SW movies.  But  I would rate it about 6-6.5 outta 10 now.  Mainly do to some major plot issues that I find it has.  I will probably be buying it now though.  Glad I purchased a second ticket when I pre-ordered the opening day tickets. 

I think it is better with repeat viewing because the WTF moments are out of the way & you can focus more on the movie than the plot issues.  They have to lay off the annoying over the top comedy though it just takes you right out of the picture & at the same time i more eye rolling than funny.

We have about a Ewok chance in a Rancor pit.
Formely Darth2002 from thee ancient boards Power of the Northside.
Who's the more foolish...The fool or the fool who follow's him.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 21, 2017, 05:24:01 PM »

Hope you're right C!. The Huffington Post had pretty much the same report however.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 22, 2017, 12:03:47 AM »

It's hard to believe one guy in a position like that (not a significantly powerful one, by my assessment), can rally enough help from other morons to influence things. Goes to show how fragile some things on the internet - ie veracity of information - still are. Make sure you read as many sides of a story as you can these days!  :speechless-smiley-004:

Please note that according to this article, this one guy was using bots, not other humans, to help push the audience score lower... bots of course, being the equivalent to a 21st century army that can be used to bias polls, spread fake news, tie up website resources, etc.  It's like your own personal clone army :)

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/star-wars-last-jedi-rotten-tomatoes-score-bots

Oh, I personally liked most of the humor in the movie (the early scene with Poe trying to stall Hux was dumb though, as was Finn's leaking bacta suit).  Really, when Chewie executes a hard turn of the Falcon and that Porg smashes up against the cockpit window?  That will continue to get me whenever I see that moment, even 10 years from now... I have not laughed that hard in a SW flick in a long, long time.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 22, 2017, 12:35:44 AM »

I understood the bot part, it just sounded more "tech savvy" than the guy being interviewed would be capable of (based on his dumb sounding replies). I guess he recruited help - lots of smart people out there that love doing that type of stuff just to show they can, not to serve any particular cause. I guess I'm kinda hoping that was the case here, but I'm sure there are tech savvy dummies as well.

EDITED: Viewing #3 tonight & some of the things were back to bugging me again. I'm up & down like a toilet seat.  :crazy:

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 22, 2017, 01:43:50 AM »

Here's an interesting extract from a talkback... another way in which reaction to the film was gauged. It talks about the critical response, which on RT was high, and then the fan reaction... one talkbacker noted:

Last Jedi is like the 2016 Presidential election. Trump won the electoral college but not the popular vote. Critics gave the movie 93% but Critics arent devoted Star Wars fans they are movie reviewers their criteria for what a good Star wars film isnt the same as a Star Wars fan. Same goes for general Audiences--who love Last Jedi. I separate serious fan from general audience or casual fan. A serious fan buys the books, the toys, the visual guides..are steeped in SW lore. Sort of like a sports team fan who has season tickets, jerseys, trading cards, posters. And a fan that catches an occasional game. There is a distinction.

The reply from another talkbacker:
I think it's a good distinction too, that's why the surveymonkey exitpoll makes for such interesting reading. 4441 randomly selected audience members were screened over the first 4 days of screenings, but they made your distinction asking people whether they considered themselves regular fans / or hardcore fans, and the polled data remained at 89% liked / loved it between both groups.

Interestingly the split of liked/ loved it in the folks who described themselves as regular fans was 66% and 34%, and the split between the folks who described themselves as hardcore fans was actually much higher: 37% liked it and 66% loved it.

Overall the exit poll tallies with others like comscore/ postTrak etc, but the distinction is what made this one interesting. Anyhoo, all food for thought.

I would trust an exit poll more than I would ever trust the audience score on RT, although maybe after second or third viewings, those fans changed their minds again?  That would be called "pulling a JJReason"  :)

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 22, 2017, 05:14:20 AM »

It gets better with repeat viewings my first time seeing it was not sure if I liked or hated it.  I do like it now after seeing it a second time,  mind you it still has allot of issue's that are major one's.  It still ranks last for me out of all the SW movies.  But  I would rate it about 6-6.5 outta 10 now.

I think after second viewing, I will probably feel the same as PizzatheHutt.   

bob

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 22, 2017, 07:42:11 AM »

There are some half decent copies of TLJ online now if anyone cares for that. ive watched it 4 or 5 times already after seeing it in the theatre opening night. im still going back to see it properly but for now its great to catch things at home.

merry ho ho!

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 26, 2017, 03:50:05 PM »

Hopefully Ron Howard will be able to get the haters back on side with Solo.   

Rumours are Solo is a complete trainwreck and Disney is already bracing for it to bomb.
Of course, rumours are just rumours, but it's already known as "Solo: The Star Wars Story No One Ever Asked For"

For the record, like most here, I liked some parts and hated others. Overall, it's fighting for last place with Ep7 for me. More than ever, I want to know what George Lucas' ideas were for the sequels. I liked the prequels. And I loved Rogue One.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 03:53:20 PM by Wedge1021 »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169129
  • Total Topics: 14345
  • Online Today: 35
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 25
Total: 25

Page created in 1.98 seconds with 38 queries.