Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2018, 09:57:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

56 Guests, 1 User
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: STAR WARS: EPISODE VIII - THE LAST JEDI  (Read 4669 times)

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
Re: STAR WARS: EPISODE VIII - THE LAST JEDI
« Reply #135 on: December 29, 2017, 11:48:49 PM »

Wedge:

The way I see it, Battle Star Galactica was a rip off of Star Wars. And so was TFA and TLJ.  I just think Battle Star Galactica was a better rip off than TFA and TLJ.     :u:

mmmm...but I do like a good ham sandwich  :P , might have to revise my list.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 11:58:33 PM by Canadian Jedi »
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 30, 2017, 12:23:21 AM »

ANH
ESB
ROTJ
TFA (ahead of RO for me only because it felt like a fresh start IMO)
RO
TLJ
Droids
ROTS
Ewok movies (nostalgia)
Holiday special (nostalgia)
TPM
AOTC

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 30, 2017, 02:19:45 AM »

ANH
ESB
ROTJ
R1
TLJ
RotS
AotC
TPM
TFA
(insert eps9 here)

Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 30, 2017, 09:05:15 AM »

I just went on Rottentomatoes to see where the rating is now.  They are up to 160,000 votes and a 51% rating.  When reading through the comments, this time, most are from real fans who are disappointed, but there are some from "whites are the best glee club". Those reviews stand out like a sore thumb.   
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

ambasah

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 30, 2017, 11:03:32 AM »

I saw Rogue One with the kids (first time for them) the other day.

I always liked it but appreciate it even more now. Still not perfect but in my top 4 for sure.

My son (age 5) saw K2SO and immediately advised me he is a bad guy cause of the symbol on his arm. I am a proud pappa! : )

darthpaul

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 30, 2017, 06:14:09 PM »

ANH
ESB
ROTJ
TFA
R1
RotS
TLJ
TPM

AotC

darthric

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 30, 2017, 07:30:08 PM »

ANH
ESB
ROTJ
R1
TLJ
TFA
ROTS
TPM
AOTC

:snowtroopers:
Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try !

PizzatheHutt

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 31, 2017, 10:38:38 AM »

ESB
ANH
ROTJ
RO & ROTS   Keep flip flopping these two so a tie for now
TPM
TFA
AOTC
TLJ
We have about a Ewok chance in a Rancor pit.
Formely Darth2002 from thee ancient boards Power of the Northside.
Who's the more foolish...The fool or the fool who follow's him.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 10, 2018, 09:42:26 AM »

Saw it again last night (regular...I'm going to have to get to an IMAX screening before it is gone!).

Still really really like it. Was worried the fact I last saw it with my kids might have had an undue influence on me!

I was actually impressed by how they handled Rey/Luke. How subtle it actually was. I realized I had assumed Luke sensed Rey at the end of TFA. And so much of his discovery of her powers went over my head! He just sees her as an envoy of Leia until she goes to the tree on her own and even then he doesn't really know how much power she contains. I also think Luke works in the context of his character just fine. I think he was perhaps more scarred by his experiences than we all realized. It was pretty heavy what he went through, a lot of responsibility and sense of duty was dumped on him and...he started to succumb since he is human and his failure with Ben/Kylo really broke him (he was indecisive at precisely the wrong time and it cost him his nephew and all his other students (except those that left with Kylo).

My least favorite section remains the Canto Bight stuff. It just feels like it wasn't pushed as far as it could have been towards something more "realistic" rather than caricatured and that it got dumbed-down for kids for no good reason...kids would have been cool with it if it had been less Disney-romp-esque I think and cooler overall, darker in some ways.

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 10, 2018, 07:35:59 PM »

Saw it again last night (regular...I'm going to have to get to an IMAX screening before it is gone!).

Still really really like it. Was worried the fact I last saw it with my kids might have had an undue influence on me!

I was actually impressed by how they handled Rey/Luke. How subtle it actually was. I realized I had assumed Luke sensed Rey at the end of TFA. And so much of his discovery of her powers went over my head! He just sees her as an envoy of Leia until she goes to the tree on her own and even then he doesn't really know how much power she contains. I also think Luke works in the context of his character just fine. I think he was perhaps more scarred by his experiences than we all realized. It was pretty heavy what he went through, a lot of responsibility and sense of duty was dumped on him and...he started to succumb since he is human and his failure with Ben/Kylo really broke him (he was indecisive at precisely the wrong time and it cost him his nephew and all his other students (except those that left with Kylo).

My least favorite section remains the Canto Bight stuff. It just feels like it wasn't pushed as far as it could have been towards something more "realistic" rather than caricatured and that it got dumbed-down for kids for no good reason...kids would have been cool with it if it had been less Disney-romp-esque I think and cooler overall, darker in some ways.

100% agree with all you said. That's exactly how I feel with the Luke-Rey scenes. As well as the Canto Bight sequence who definitely is the weakest sub-plot of the movie. The whole Fathiers sub-plot and the way Rose preaches to Finn, focusing on animals treatment rather than being angry and motivated with vengance after the death of her sister really troubled me. The whole "Fathier escape run" leading to the green valley ending scene felt like a Harry Potter kinda storyline. Not something one would expect in a Star wars movie. It was simply too light toned for the movie and way too childish for SW in general. The worse part in any SW movie IMHO. Far worse than Jar Jar sticking out his tongue, almost equal to the farting scene of TPM.

Nonetheless, I watched the movie 4 times, the first two within the first 6 hrs on December 14-15, then with my oldest daughters (16 & 18yo) and last Saturday with my youngest two daughters (7 and 9 yo). I have to say it's better with each viewing. The bad parts are not improving, but the good parts are getting better. :) Not my top movie, but not my worse.
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 10, 2018, 09:23:02 PM »

I will go with:

ANH
ESB
ROJ
ROTS
Rogue One
TPM
AOTC
BSG
TFA
TLJ

LOL, did you put Battlestar Galactica on your Star Wars list? For shame, you know mixing sci-fi franchises is a serious offence!  :rollfloorlaffsmiley:

The kids and I watched the Holiday Special for the first (and will be ONLY) time the other day.
I have toyed with the idea of listing that higher than TFA/TLJ, but I just can't bring myself to do it.
I do equate them with each other as far as my own "head canon" goes - they never happened.

I think for me, the measure of whether a new SW film is good or not is how it makes me feel about the originals. Does it add something or make me look at the OT films in a different way or with greater appreciation? Then it's a good addition to the franchise. It should build up and compliment the originals, not actively try to tear them down and stomp all over them. While one could argue that parts of the prequels messed with the OT a bit, I think overall they made me look at the OT films a bit differently and read some scenes in a new way - ROTS in particular did that. In a similar way, Rogue One helped to raise ANH to a higher level in my mind - it was easily my least favourite of the OT films but now I'd happily put it against any film in the saga.

ROTJ
Rogue One & ANH
ESB
ROTS
TPM
AOTC
some fan films
a ham sandwich
TFA
TLJ & The Holiday Special
I love the list - not that I agree completely, but I do like a good ham sandwich :winking0071:

For me, its:
ROTJ
ESB
ANH
R1
ROTS
TPM
TLJ
TFA
AOTC
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169107
  • Total Topics: 14344
  • Online Today: 84
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 56
Total: 57

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 39 queries.