Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 17, 2018, 04:48:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

53 Guests, 2 Users

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMV going out of Business  (Read 3180 times)

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
Re: HMV going out of Business
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2017, 08:33:16 AM »

It seems HMV was moving that direction with a lot more merch and less CDs and movies than in the past, but they still seemed overwhelmingly CD and movie focused.

As far as HMV disappearing, well, I haven't bought anything from them in years. Every item I looked at in their store was more expensive than anywhere else, or they didn't have what I was looking for. And their website was atrocious. You couldn't search for anything efficiently.

I do however think it is unfortunate they are closing. I don't really buy music anymore, just not a priority, but I do buy movies. I want to own my movies, not rely on streaming, and physical media is still far and away better for picture quality. It still boggles my mind that people still buy DVDs, but that's another issue. It is unfortunate that there are less options for buying physical media. Amazon is usually great, but  less and less competition means eventually amazon could have a monopoly. It will be interesting to see what sunrise will do.

Anyway, I won't be lamenting the loss of HMV itself as much as the idea of losing another store that sells movies.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2017, 06:31:04 PM »

To paint a local picture - Fairview Park Mall in Kitchener is a moderate sized, fairly busy mall in a well populated part of a fairly large urban centre.

Sunrise failed here, long before HMV.

I'm not sure how this is supposed to work, but I'll be happy if Sunrise comes back at least for a little while. :(

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2017, 08:14:30 PM »

The article mentioned that they were able to renegotiate with landlords for lower rent.   They have the benefit of seeing the monthly numbers HMV was doing in each location.  You also have to remember when they left the Kitchener location they were having to compete with HMV for the same customers.  Now they can get back in and HMV will be gone.  Not sure if your store will be on the final list that they open - but if HMV was doing well there - I am sure they will reopen it.
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

darthpaul

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2017, 06:35:27 AM »

It seems HMV was moving that direction with a lot more merch and less CDs and movies than in the past, but they still seemed overwhelmingly CD and movie focused.

As far as HMV disappearing, well, I haven't bought anything from them in years. Every item I looked at in their store was more expensive than anywhere else, or they didn't have what I was looking for. And their website was atrocious. You couldn't search for anything efficiently.

I do however think it is unfortunate they are closing. I don't really buy music anymore, just not a priority, but I do buy movies. I want to own my movies, not rely on streaming, and physical media is still far and away better for picture quality. It still boggles my mind that people still buy DVDs, but that's another issue. It is unfortunate that there are less options for buying physical media. Amazon is usually great, but  less and less competition means eventually amazon could have a monopoly. It will be interesting to see what sunrise will do.

Anyway, I won't be lamenting the loss of HMV itself as much as the idea of losing another store that sells movies.

I've only went there there few years to get some Christmas presents.  Mark-ups too high.

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2017, 10:57:37 AM »

Prices are starting to get a little better. 2 for 30 down to 2 for 17. 2 for 20 down to two for 12.

Highlights for me, I picked up Jaws for $6 and Wrath of Khan directors cut (corrected release) for $8.50 along with a couple others.

I had a hard time finding things to buy since I usually only buy stuff if I plan to watch it at least twice. Lots of interesting titles, but not that I need to own.

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2017, 11:50:16 AM »

Picked up a couple more movies today. Vaughan mills location dropped prices a bit further. Apparently Vaughan mills location will become a sunrise.

Now to go watch Flash Gordon!

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2017, 12:19:04 AM »

Latest pickups with only a few days to go: Deadpool, Hateful 8, Hobbit 3, and the movie with Thor in it about Moby , whatever that was called. My son really liked it the first time we saw it.

IanToronto

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2017, 09:08:39 AM »

Anyone know the pecentage off as of today foe Erin Mills town Centre or Square One?

old man ben

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • "Born to Collect!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2017, 02:05:36 PM »

The sign in the window yesterday said 40% to 60% off everything.

IanToronto

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2017, 10:34:33 AM »

Erin mills town Centre is closing early today around 1pm....LAST DAY.  Everything is $1.00 each as long as it's part of the '2 for X'. Blu Ray DVD and box sets.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169089
  • Total Topics: 14342
  • Online Today: 84
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 53
Total: 55

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 38 queries.