Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 23, 2018, 06:49:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

58 Guests, 1 User

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: ToyFair 2017  (Read 2034 times)

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
ToyFair 2017
« on: February 18, 2017, 09:02:39 PM »

In case you didn't know, it's ToyFair weekend once again.

As usual, not a boatload of Star Wars revealed, but they did give a taste of their 40th anniversary special for the 6" line:

http://thefwoosh.com/2017/02/hasbro-star-wars-black-toy-fair-2017

Not sure how I feel about these. I collect 6", but for $30 each you're darn right I open them. I'm not really excited about vintage carded 6" figures, especially since they're pretty much all just repacks. I'm not gonna drop the cash to display these in package. The only figures I would (and did) do that for was TVC. I'll probably just pick up the Death Squad Commander, Jawa, maybe Vader, and possibly Leia again for the corrected head sculpt.

Of course, no 3.75" at all.

jmac

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: ToyFair 2017
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 09:20:14 PM »

They did show a new Boba Fett and Han Solo from the 3 3/4 5poa line. This is the only line I collect, so it nice to see something new, but at the same time it's too bad that they are resculpts of existing figures when there are still some major characters missing in this line (Ben Kenobi, Tatooine Luke, etc.).

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 09:36:27 PM »

I guess cuz I don't care for the 5POA figures, I kind of don't count them when I say 3.75". I should have said SA 3.75".
The 5POA figures are fine for those who like and collect them, they are just not for me. I've spent such a long time in love with the old meat-and-potatoes of the Star Wars line that it's hard to accept that Hasbro seems to have moved on from SA 3.75" now. I do like the 6" scale as I've got quite a large 6" Marvel collection as well, but SA 3.75" will always be my first priority for Star Wars.

If nothing else, it's saved me a lot of money the past few years!

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 10:29:15 PM »

I'm happy with the repack of R2 for the 6" line. I've been wanting to pop for one, but I remember I was disappointed when I saw it at retail in the beginning, and I'm sure I'd be kicking myself doubly hard for shelling out way more than that to have one at this point.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 11:35:05 PM »

Hasbro was the disappointment that I expected them to be. No SA 3.75" worth getting excited about, the Kenner packaging for 6" looks awkward and are just repacks of existing figures (they should've redone Ben in his Kenner colors for example, maybe C3PO in vac-metal this time, fixed the terrible TERRIBLE plastic for ANH Luke... etc).

The real winner? Super7 with retro Planet of the Apes and wave3 of ALIEN figures, Funko with SA 4" Twin Peaks, SA 4" Batman 66, NECA with Predator and DC vs Alien/Predator figures, and HiyaToys with their amazing-looking 4" SA Predator figures.  Hasbro wasn't even close... not with SW or Marvel.

Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 12:36:46 AM »

To be fair to Hasbro, I thought they actually did quite well with the 6" Marvel Legends reveals, as they usually do. Lots of new figures announced, a good number shown on the floor. They're getting lots of decent waves out, with a good mix of classic comic characters, modern comic characters, and movie / TV universe figures. The sculpts are pretty good, and they're throwing in lots of alternate heads, etc now. All with Build-a-Figure pack-in parts. And there's always a good selection of store exclusive sets every year. Not everything is perfect, but it does feel like they are really actually trying to do their very best, and try to put out what fans are interested in seeing. Which is often more than can be said about the Star Wars lineup these days.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 01:38:18 AM »

The price of the Marvel stuff has just gone bananas though. I loved - LOVED - that line for the first few years, but there was a point where they jumped about $10 per figure if not more - no one in their right mind is going to blindly follow without giving some serious consideration to dumping the line. I do look at their figures though, in both scales, and in many cases I think they're better than what we're getting for Star Wars.  :fighting0072:

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 02:25:00 AM »

I've mentioned this in the past, but Marvel 6" gets a lot of nice things because the Hasbro brand manager, Dwight Stall, is extremely biased towards the 6" scale. He does not in any way shape or form, look at the 3.75" scale as worth his time (and has mocked that scale at the Hasbro presentations). 

There's always been money to be made at both scales, and if Stall can't competently manage both lines, which it's clear he cannot, he needs to be fired or at least relegated to his true love while they bring back David Vonner or another evangelist for the 4" scale to manage the 4" MU toyline again.

I want to buy 4" Hasbro products, my money is there waiting to be spent, but there's no one in charge over there who is competent enough to deliver that product.  The ONE new MU non-movie 4" figure that they showed at ToyFair, Shocker, was just garbage (poor sculpt, the usual reduced articulation, and a bad paintjob).  They want me to give my money to NECA or Super7 or Funko?  They've pretty much done a good job in that regard.

There'd been rumors for years that TVC would return in 2017. Obviously long-time collectors assumed this meant 3.75" SA TVC, not this.  Unless there's a big surprise coming tomorrow or at SDCC, it feels like a joke what we're getting. The 0POA diecasts especially, which can rot at retail as the reaction to them seems to be rampant indifference and ridicule.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 02:29:45 AM by napseeker »
Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 08:45:33 AM »

Was  hoping for Funko to do Twin Peaks for years now! And was promoting the idea with what's his name on funkofantatics for a while! I guess the TP revival this spring helped make it a reality! Can hardly wait!

Mandalore1988

• Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 09:34:04 AM »

They did show a new Boba Fett and Han Solo from the 3 3/4 5poa line. This is the only line I collect, so it nice to see something new, but at the same time it's too bad that they are resculpts of existing figures when there are still some major characters missing in this line (Ben Kenobi, Tatooine Luke, etc.).

Fett and Han do look cool. Hopefully they make it here to Canada as we've yet to see Wave 3 of the 5POA or the latest Two-packs: Maul/7th Sister and Baze/Trooper. At least I haven't seen them in Quebec yet (Which is fine as neither set fits my collection). Hopefully Wave 3 shows up soon though.

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 12:24:14 PM »

Not surprising with Hasbro and the lack of 3.75. At this point I think long time collectors like me are hard to please. I only want obscure figures and characters never made before at this point. So how can they slot those in when they need to fulfill the needs if all the current films. The Walmart line is the only way but you think Walmart will want obscure characters? I dunno. Meanwhile they're trying to address collectors that missed stuff like the ERG and Ponda Baba to address aftermarket prices. So they really can't win. But I also don't think we are a priority anymore. It sucks but it makes sense. I do wish they would get to sim aloo through an exclusive at least. I hate exclusives but if it at least addresses one of the last holes in the vintage remakes I'd be happy with that. And I think this is the most disappointing part is they don't seem to care to at least address that.

6" is still easy for them since there are still tonnes of easily recognizable essentials to release. So 6" is still in early days relatively speaking. Which means there is a larger market for it than for the 3.75 that collectors want.

As to the 40th 6" line. I'll get a couple faves to keep on card but I don't need all 12 carded in a second scale. Not at $30 a pop. And of course I will get the new OT ones like jawa, sand person, death squad commander and the new Vader to open. But the package design looks cramped and feels lazy. They should have done something more creative (like the custom slip covers I've seen on ebay). Keep the 6" box but have it inspired by vintage. The black series packaging is boring and lacks creativity. But its not the box that's the problem it's the graphic design. The 40th was a missed opportunity in that regard.

Unleashed 2.0? Who cares?
3.75 titanium 2.0? Who cares again?
Two examples of wasted resources.

Oh well. The most exciting thing about toy fair for me is the 3.75 planet of the apes. Awesome! If they could do a classic battlestar galactic line I'd be thrilled. And where's star trek TNG? Wonder what the licensing on that franchise is now that funko and reaction are split. Anyway bring on the Apes!!!

And we'll probably see some SW 3.75 at either celebration and/or SDCC.

skywalker1973

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 12:53:51 PM »

Vintage cards look nice but they still have that 6 inch black series price so it makes it a tough sell for me. I remember when the 3.75 inch VOTC came out, complete with protective cases,  for 12.99 and even then we thought the price was crazy!

Give it a few weeks though,  I'll likely cave and go all in.

I'm not there yet though!

bob

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 03:01:55 PM »

i saw a pic of the Jawa in the regular black series boxes. so im thinking these ''Vintage'' ones will be a higher price then the regular versions? i hope not! i cant see how they would think they could get more then 30 for one of those anyway. i donno though,

Darth Woo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 03:59:36 PM »

I'm only likely going to get R2 because I missed him the first time.  I'm still too pissed at Hasbro for getting another Leia.  They should never have released the BS one if they were going to give a better head sculpt right away basically.

dangerlinto

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 05:46:51 PM »

I won't lie.  I've built a pretty nice man-cave now mostly with the VIntage look on the 3 3/4" line. 

I will probably re-buy all the 6" on Vintage cards.  I hope they do them all like that from now on - the 6" packaging is total crap since they move to the red background.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169126
  • Total Topics: 14345
  • Online Today: 78
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 58
Total: 59

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 39 queries.