Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Commlink

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 18, 2017, 06:30:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

23 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The last 10 years??  (Read 306 times)

cash_fan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Tell that to Kanjiklub
    • View Profile
The last 10 years??
« on: April 20, 2017, 10:33:43 PM »

So after pretty much taking the last 10 years off I've finally got back into collecting and enjoy it again.  Wife, kids, work, bla bla bla was all getting in the way.  Now my kids are getting older and getting into their own things so I finally got back into my thing.

What's been going on here over the last several years?
Cash fan, as in Johnny Cash

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Re: The last 10 years??
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 11:03:05 PM »

Well since we last visited in Nanaimo (at LEAST 10 years ago now  :speechless-smiley-004: ), I would say the line has fallen on some hard time. Back then, we were looking for & finding tons of ROTS basic figures for regular retail prices (about 8.99 at WM and 9.99 at TRU if I'm not too far off). They had TONS of articulation & soft goods in many cases, good accessories, well done paint - they were worth the money a lot of the time.

Since the end of ROTS and moving through the period where no new movies were on the horizon, the high point to me has been the Vintage Collection era, where they released & re-released in some cases a lot of nice figures on vintage-style cards (some from the vintage era, but also many from the prequels or characters that never got a vintage card - Sandtrooper comes to mind - done up in a very passable vintage style package).

Over the past couple of years Hasbro has reverted the 3.75" collection back to what we were seeing during the EpI or POTJ era - 5 points of articulation on characters that have really been done to death - and sadly the 5 point figures have become the primary line for the new movies. Only WalMart has a select few "Black Series" figures which continue the higher quality, articulated/soft goods style action figure we got used to - but at a very high price point, and not always easy to track down.

As a result of dwindling excitement for the 3.75" offerings many folks have branched out and are collecting upscale things like Hot Toys/Sideshow 12" figures, or on the cheaper end Funko pop figures which are cheap & plentiful (other than the multitudes of exclusives that some folks go nuts trying to keep up with).

cash_fan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Tell that to Kanjiklub
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 11:52:47 PM »

For me articulation has never been a issue.  I've always been a MOC collector.  After AOTC I started a clone trooper collection and that was a lot of fun but I think around 2009-10 or so I had to give up my "Star Wars room" so my youngest daughter could have a place to live.  I sold off most of my collection, but keeping a few sentimental figures and some of my vintage stuff.  Yoda was always my focus, and I may go back in that direction and pick up the figures that I've missed the last few years.

skywalker1973

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 05:59:31 PM »

Jjreason's summary is pretty spot on.  Another big shift from 10 years back is the cost of manufacturing in China has gone up, with the end result for SW collecting being toys for collectors are much more expensive,  toys for kids are much more cheaply made, and flagship toys like the BMF are not as elaborate as they used to be.

Also,  if your collecting tendencies stray beyond toys and statues, you'll find disney has injected SW into everything from crockpots to sandwich bags, lawn ornaments and breaded chicken (none of that is made up).

Definitely more interesting times with disney involved and a movie per year being released compared to when no movies were on the horizon and Clone Wars cartoon was the only media being regularly produced.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 09:23:00 PM »

I remember the first time I saw the "Disney" on a SW toy package, I did feel a weird pang of something not being right.... or maybe it was just a real, significant change I felt. I still foresee a day where Hasbro is completely out of the game, and Disney is producing the stuff on their own - in fact I see this day drawing even closer with the Droid Factory offerings shown at the Celebration in Orlando.

cash_fan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Tell that to Kanjiklub
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 01:00:25 AM »

I've said this before, but I feel Star Wars is in good hands with Disney.  And this is coming from a guy that had nothing to do with the EU before. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2014
  • Latest: Kev
Stats
  • Total Posts: 167664
  • Total Topics: 14265
  • Online Today: 40
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 23
Total: 23

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 38 queries.