Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 24, 2018, 04:29:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

24 Guests, 1 User
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What are kids collecting today?  (Read 1126 times)

jmac

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
What are kids collecting today?
« on: April 22, 2017, 08:10:09 PM »

When I was a kid it was the 3 3/4 Kenner figures and vehicles. Now that I have my own kids, my three teenage sons are into Star Wars, but don't seem to have much interest in action figures like most of us older folks did back in the 70's and 80's. My eldest son is 18 and is big into collecting Lego but also bought the 6 inch Ahsoka. My 15 year old likes Star Wars but doesn't collect anything Star Wars related apart from the Battlefront game. My 13 year old is all about lightsabers and Star Wars tsum tsums. Is it just in my family or are kids just not that interested in action figures anymore? Figures seem to move pretty slow at the stores around here too, so it has me wondering if it's mainly adults keeping the action figure lines going.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Re: What are kids collecting today?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 08:38:05 PM »

My son only "collects" hours spent on his PS4 - and they are accruing at an alarming rate.  :speechless-smiley-004:

I would say his main collection leading up the gaming phase was lego, although he did have a half decent action figure collection - largely from hand me downs from dad.

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 10:07:45 PM »

This topic has been noted and discussed in several articles, interviews and blog posts over the past few years, from newspaper business sections to toy-collecting sites to manufacturer comments. The general thinking is that "kids these days" are spending more and more "play time" with things like cell phones / tablets, video games, and other electronic-type entertainment. And when they do buy toys, many parents are trending towards buying something with a higher perceived play value, such as Lego. Another factor may be that there's a lot more latch-key kids these days, as opposed to say 20-30 years ago. If you don't hang out and play with your friends at home that often, there's less chance to explore the fun of actually playing with toys like action figures - setting up giant battles with GI Joe's, etc. That leaves sitting in your room in front of a screen to fill the hole.

As for something specific that kids collect - I know there's still lots that collect Pokemon cards. I'd say half my daughter's grade 1 class is into them (including her). Other go-to suggestions that we get for classmate's birthdays are anything Lego, Shopkins, and superhero toys. DC Superhero Girls seems to have really found an audience with young girls - thus why Hasbro is doing a similar line for Star Wars.

Old man rant over!

bm459

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Orleans, ON
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 11:24:00 PM »

I think my family represents a bit of a strange demographic. See, I gave my son (7yo) & daughter (11yo) about 90% of my Star Wars toy collection when they showed interest. So, both my daughter and son play with Star Wars action figures a whole lot, but I'm trying to think of which toys the specifically _asked_ for.

Both my kids ask for Pokemon stuff all the time. My daughter asks for Barbie stuff (but she's playing with toys a lot less now that she's older). Both kids ask for Lego. My son used to collect all the Paw Patrol guys and the Transformers Rescue Bots. My daughter's asked for a few Star Wars "dolls" (12") a couple of times and my son has a big list of Star Wars action figures he wants. ex. He really wants to get an Admiral Raddus figure.

But, if I just look at my son, who's still in prime-time toy-playing age, I'd say he collects Pokemon, Lego and Star Wars action figures. He divides his time evenly between Star Wars, Lego and dress-up play. He doesn't play too many video games. Maybe a couple of hours per week, tops.

I can't say whether he'd have chosen Star Wars toys on his own, but he loves the ones he's got :)

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 11:42:57 PM »

My daughter, in grade 2, was really into shopkins for a while. But the big thing I noticed is she collects differently than I did (and do). She doesn't care about collecting a complete set of anything.  She just wants a bunch to play with and the ones she likes. But she's not even that picky. For her it's more about the playing than the actual collecting. Same with Lego.  She likes to play with it but doesn't really collect it.

Plus the way toys are produced now they flood the market to the point you cannot even come close to "collecting them all". Shopkins cost a bloody fortune if you want to collect a whole series. Nevermind all 6 or 7 that they've produced in the last 3 years. Toy companies market differently now.
It's the same with hockey cards. To collect a complete set you have to spend over $100. What little kid can collect a set?

So she doesn't talk about trying to get a whole set of shopkins. She also doesn't mention classmates collecting much.
And the other kids I know, nieces and nephews, friends' kids, none of them collect action figures. It's all about video games, or lights sabres,  etc. And not really about "collecting".

darthpaul

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 06:41:58 AM »

A couple years ago my 10 year old was all about SW Lego.  The only thing he's into now other than video games is Pokemon cards, figures.

ambasah

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 08:10:31 AM »

my kids are only 4 (5 in July) and they seem to have the attention span of a kid : )

they are in love with something for a few weeks and then have zero interest in it. The lesson learned for me is to not go heavy into any single brand/character. Right now pokemon is the craze (god damn those cards are a ripoff) but star wars is always there : )

The older my nieces and nephews get (spanning 5 to 12 right now) the more they are engulfed by video games and the internet / social media. It is definitely a different world compared to what we grew up with (children of the 70s and 80s).

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 11:12:46 AM »

Pokemon definitely...even though they don't play the damn game!

I get the "collector bug" side of it but don't get the fact they have almost zero desire to learn to play! At least my action figure collecting as an adult seems to be tied in some way to my memories of playing with them all those years! In fact, sometimes I have to remind myself that I WON'T be playing with them really, won't be doing much more than repositioning some of them on their shelf from time to time...if I even bother to do that!

My kids go through Lego phases. My youngest is into action figures pretty constantly but his fanaticism comes and goes. Right now he's out of playing with them and more into trying to set them up on a shelf. He's done this before though and eventually gone back to playing with them. He's also in DC super heroes and I've bought him some of the cheaper superman vs batman line and some multiverse (god those are pricey for what they are!). As a family we watch Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow...which makes it so much more fun btw...so he's into the characters from that show plus most of the Justice League "staff"! My other 2 kids are less toy-oriented though. He's the only one I managed to screw up....get right!

cash_fan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Tell that to Kanjiklub
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 12:23:07 PM »

I only have daughters.  For some reason they don't like Lego but love Playmobil.  The 9 year old has always been into My Little Pony, and the older one was big into Monster High but now she's 11 and it's less cool.  And both have always been heavy in Disney Princess stuff.

Together we've always been into The Clone Wars, Adventure Time, The Regular Show, and video games.  They do both own a Star Wars figure though, I got them both the R2KT figures a long time ago for about $40 each. 
Cash fan, as in Johnny Cash

Hellboy

• Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 11:39:57 PM »

I think there are way more options (franchises) available for kids now-a-days too. When Star Wars figures first launched they were really awesome because they were something unique and right off the screen from a mind-blowing movie I just watched. I can't even think of an "action figure" that was around when I was a kid, besides green army men and maybe some generic cowboys and indians (indigenous people)... or farm animals. Lego was also really simple, not the fancy stuff we have today.
Most kids are just used to being inundated with toys from large franchises - My Little Pony, Star Wars, Ninja Turtles, Transformers, Barbie, Pokemon, Power Rangers, Super Heroes.... they are numb to it and not inspired by it. (I live in Toronto and have not been to the CN Tower in the 20 years that I've been here yet people travel from all over to see it because it's something cool, I think)
I've tried to get my girls interested in Star Wars but that lasted a year at most. They like the movies but just don't care to engage in the playing of the toys. I can get them to build Lego with me but they never do it on their own or even ask for any as gifts. My youngest loves going to FanExpo with me and loves Bat Girl, and Harley Quinn but still has no interest in things like the DC Girls dolls. She's bought a few "collectibles" but there's no passion for it like I had growing up. We used to watch Power Puff Girls together and I couldn't even get her to have an interest in the toys they put out. She's a tough sell. Sorry, she does collect Beanie Boos... forgot about those...
My oldest daughter... forget it. She lives on her phone. She watches the 2 idiots from England on YouTube who play video games... I cannot, for the life of me, understand spending hours watching somebody else play video games... I'd rather be yelling at her to stop playing video games than to stop watching someone playing video games... finally had to kick her off the data plan and block her internet usage.  >:(
Every true Star Wars fan is a Luke Skywalker, looking at his twisted, evil father, and somehow seeing good.

Trust me.

ambasah

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 12:07:55 PM »

the internet is killing childhood. that coupled with all the activities parents' seem to have their kids engulfed in.

"scheduling" play dates with friends? what the hell is that?

I am a new parent but an old fart : )

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 02:52:57 PM »

My 6 year boy like Star Wars but not so much the action figures. He is a big Lego kid. He like his video games but also likes playing outside when he can. I am pretty happy about him enjoying the outside play. The action figures don't appeal to him much. He displays them on his shelf just like his dad!

My 5 year old girl plays with stuffed animals, nail polish, shoes and clothes. She has a shoe fetish already. I am really going to have a problem when she becomes a teenager, God help me!

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 06:08:18 PM »

My oldest daughter... forget it. She lives on her phone. She watches the 2 idiots from England on YouTube who play video games... I cannot, for the life of me, understand spending hours watching somebody else play video games... I'd rather be yelling at her to stop playing video games than to stop watching someone playing video games... finally had to kick her off the data plan and block her internet usage.  >:(

Haha - I know! My kids watch people playing Mario, Minecraft, whatever. I don't get it. Just play the darn game if you want, instead of watching someone else do it  :speechless-smiley-004:

I try to limit the electronics in the home - I'm sure that my kids would be o a phone, iPod, iPad, video game system, etc all day if left unchecked. They are allowed 1 hour of computer per day max, and the occasional bit of time on a device (my oldest, who is 16, has his own phone and, unfortunately, spends quite a bit more time on it).

As for toys, Lego is a big hit in our family. Despite my best efforts, I could never get them into action figures, which was always my favourite things as a kid. I tried to get them into transformers, too, but it never took.

Pokemon card collecting is also pretty popular. My 16 year old still does, even, to some extent, although he pretends like he doesn't...

Mongo

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • I Am The One
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2017, 12:17:15 PM »

My 15 year old son collects Amiibos. He doesnt seem to play the games that much but loves the figures.
A friend once asked me, "Why does a movie have such a grip on my life?" I am waiting for a good answer still.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169129
  • Total Topics: 14345
  • Online Today: 35
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 24
Total: 25

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 38 queries.