Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 16, 2018, 10:33:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

55 Guests, 1 User

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Archaeology of Star Wars: Journey to Tatooine Kickstarter  (Read 822 times)

skywalker1973

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile

There's a very cool kickstarter project that's just started.  It is located here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1863512350/the-archaeology-of-star-wars-journey-to-tatooine

This one should be worth backing because of who's behind it.  It chronicles the original journey to Tunisia to find the Tatooine filming locations.  Today, with Star Wars tourism a thing, an internet search can now yield everything down to GPS coordinates for film locations, but back in 1995 not even Lucasfilm knew exactly where to look for them, let alone find them.  An individual came along and put his archaeological skills to the test to see if anything remained from decades past.  He found them all. Shortly after that Lucasfilm contacted him and eventually hired him.

For anyone that's followed the DK Incredible Cross Sections books and Visual Dictionaries, you'll notice that especially the very first ones were incredibly detailed and well written.  That's because of their details-oriented author, David West Reynolds. He's the main guy behind this kickstarter and the rewards packages look like they maintain that impressive informative/visual appealing approach that made the cross sections and visual dictionary books so awesome.

There's even one package that includes a sample of Tatooine sand - check it out!

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Re: The Archaeology of Star Wars: Journey to Tatooine Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 09:06:07 PM »

Unbelievable project, it would be completely overwhelming to be there "in real life". What a dream project.

skywalker1973

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 05:14:15 AM »

I've been a fan of Reynolds since those early cross sections and visual dictionaries. Flip through any of the ones with him as the author and compare it to one where he isn't and you'll see what I mean - the level of detail, intelligent writing and genuine love for the subject made a huge difference. I'm expecting those traits will shine through on this project as well.

skywalker1973

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 02:38:22 PM »

It got funded! $10000 was the make it or break it amount and it's up to $15364 with 16 days to go. They'll be putting the extra money into bonus features on the dvd.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 06:30:42 PM »

That's awesome! I remember reading about his journey in the old Star Wars Insider - I forget exactly when, but it must have been 1996 or so (I know he did the journey in 1995, but I don't know when the story was in the Insider). I remember reading it and thinking how awesome it would have been to see all of those places - to sit where Luke drank his blue milk, to look out at over the iconic desert landscapes (even without the twin suns glaring down), to find some of the old set pieces. It was awesome. I can't wait to see the finished product of this!

darthpaul

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 05:18:47 AM »

I'm glad I resisted getting the $200 pledge gift with the sand.  I'll be chipping in at the $25 or $40 level now.

skywalker1973

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 07:25:18 AM »

50 hours left in case anyone was sitting on the fence and didn't want to miss out.

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 02:29:20 PM »

I think I am going to kick in for this one. I was on the fence but it looks interesting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169064
  • Total Topics: 14341
  • Online Today: 72
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 55
Total: 56

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 38 queries.