Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 10:10:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

68 Guests, 7 Users

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mark Hamill disliked his role in The Force Awakens  (Read 555 times)

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
Mark Hamill disliked his role in The Force Awakens
« on: August 11, 2017, 05:55:44 AM »

Earlier this week I found a video on the internet that showed several interviews of Mark Hamill put together showing that he thought everyone had a great role in the movie but himself and he also thought that the death scene for Han was not done the way he thought it should be done.
He thought Leia and Luke should have been involved.   He said that as they did the read through he kept waiting for his entrance and it never came.  I really like his idea of when he thought he should of came in. He said when Rey was in the forest fighting and the lightsaber was flying through the air - he thought he should of been the one to grab it and save the day.  He said he did not understand how Rey with no training was able to fight with the lightsaber when she had never been to Dagobah to train. Not that he should use that as a good example since he is a Dagobah School Drop out.    I am guessing we will figure this out in the next movie and we will see why she is so good with a lightsaber.   He also said that even though a movie makes a lot of money it does not mean it was a good movie.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 06:19:06 AM by Canadian Jedi »
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

ambasah

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Mark Hamill disliked his role in The Force Awakens
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 10:27:02 AM »

I always thought the OT gang should have been the focus for Ep.7 (their last hurrah) with the new characters playing a secondary role. A passing of the torch if you will. It is one of my biggest gripes about the movie, although I still enjoyed it.

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 04:29:17 PM »

Certainly with the passing of Carrie Fisher - I think most people wish for it to have been that way.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 09:04:51 AM »

I see the sentiment, but I would like to bring Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull back into view just for a second - Indy was ok, Marian was horrible. If SWVII had turned out anything like that debacle I would have wept openly.  :(

Leia's last hurrah should have included some violence, that's 100 percent for sure, and I'm sure that was plotted/planned for VIII & IX, but sadly it won't come to pass without digital magic. Luke still has his moment(s) coming, clearly, and we're all still at odds about how Solo went out.  :fight:

Bespin-81

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
  • Ash for the win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 09:58:03 AM »

Earlier this week I found a video on the internet that showed several interviews of Mark Hamill put together showing that he thought everyone had a great role in the movie but himself and he also thought that the death scene for Han was not done the way he thought it should be done.
He thought Leia and Luke should have been involved.   He said that as they did the read through he kept waiting for his entrance and it never came.  I really like his idea of when he thought he should of came in. He said when Rey was in the forest fighting and the lightsaber was flying through the air - he thought he should of been the one to grab it and save the day.  He said he did not understand how Rey with no training was able to fight with the lightsaber when she had never been to Dagobah to train. Not that he should use that as a good example since he is a Dagobah School Drop out.    I am guessing we will figure this out in the next movie and we will see why she is so good with a lightsaber.   He also said that even though a movie makes a lot of money it does not mean it was a good movie.

I really like that idea.  I can just imagine the audience erupting like crazy at that moment.

One thing I like about it is it would be such a Luke thing to do.  He was the guy going into the fire for his friends and for what was right. 

ANH - Let's rescue the princess and destroy a planet killer
ESB - Sure I was just attacked by a wampa and nearly froze to death, but, it's just a scratch, the base is under attack - let's move; I'm going to Bespin even if Yoda says not to, 'cause my friends are in trouble 
ROTJ - Jabba's Palace at the beginning and then surrendering to the Empire to "rescue" his dad

Luke could have sense the danger Han was in, sure he was too late to save him, but he did save the others.  Maybe TLJ will change my mind, but one thing I didn't like about TFA is that it made Luke seem weak.  Luke was never one to run away from a fight.  (Except for perhaps ANH when he was still identifying himself via his uncle's viewpoint, but still then, there was fight in him - look at the Tusken Raider encounter).

I don't even know what Luke was doing in TFA - was he hiding from the FO, searching for a solution to the FO, throwing himself a pity party?  How did he feel?  Was he angry Rey found him?  Disappointed?  He certainly didn't seem happy.

I don't mind TFA.  It's "Star Wars", but, well ... it's just not Star Wars Star Wars to me. 

I see the sentiment, but I would like to bring Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull back into view just for a second - Indy was ok, Marian was horrible. If SWVII had turned out anything like that debacle I would have wept openly.  :(

I didn't think she was too bad.  My problem with her was not so much her, but her appearance.  She didn't look like she had been in a jungle as a captive of ruthless Russians.  Her hair looked greasier in Raiders. 

I actually count myself a fan of Crystal Skull (I find it an easy watch; it flows), but it definitely has it's problems.  In Raiders they kill a monkey the audience actually knows and, perhaps, likes.  In Crystal Skull, they wouldn't even let a CGI monkey die or suggest it might have died (by falling off a cliff after the Mutt chase).  Where's the danger?  The risk the main characters are in?  Why should I worry about Indy if the filmmakers won't even let a CGI monkey be hurt?

Crystal Skull just doesn't have the same grittiness of Raiders.  Raiders feels like a 1970s t-shirt that's survived 1000 washes.  Crystal Skull is like one of those retro shirts that looks like it's survived 1000 washes, but we know was just bought new this morning.

I think part of the reason I like Crystal Skull though is when Indy was escaping the warehouse, it was the first time in a long time I actually found myself "lost" in a movie.  Because of that, despite its many problems, I'll always view it positively.  (Even though I don't like the aliens, the villains, the constant switching of sides by the good buddy we've never heard of before, the ark being in area 51, Indy passing gas? ripping his pants? or whatever happened in the truck and many other things.) 

Guess I'm just a sucker for an Indiana Jones adventure.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 11:34:56 AM »

Up until the fridge, it's amazing. I will give you that. I was right back in Indiana Jones mode, excited as all get out. Then it went off the rails & never recovered, at least for me. :(

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 03:54:54 PM »

"and we're all still at odds about how Solo went out."

No we are not.  Because now Mark Hamill and I think the same way.   Team Han Solo's death scene sucked in TFA is growing all the time.  Search you feelings jjreason you know the truth.   :artoo:

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 04:02:37 PM »

Crystal Skull just doesn't have the same grittiness of Raiders.  Raiders feels like a 1970s t-shirt that's survived 1000 washes.  Crystal Skull is like one of those retro shirts that looks like it's survived 1000 washes, but we know was just bought new this morning.

Wow, this is probably the most intelligent thing ever written in a forum ever. 

May I add the following:

TFA just doesn't have the same grittiness of Star Wars.  Star Wars feels like a 1970s t-shirt that's survived 1000 washes.  TFA is like one of those retro shirts that looks like it's survived 1000 washes, but we know was just bought new this morning and it has a big stain on it where Han Solo has a death scene not worthy of his character.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 05:15:13 PM »

I know you hate fun, CJ, in all it's various forms - but you need to come to the dark side. We have cookies.  :rollfloorlaffsmiley: :artoo: :artoo: :luke:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 168722
  • Total Topics: 14326
  • Online Today: 84
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 38 queries.