Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 16, 2018, 08:27:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

54 Guests, 1 User

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The BB-8 First Order playset  (Read 1038 times)

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
The BB-8 First Order playset
« on: August 14, 2017, 01:10:20 PM »

Rebelscum and JTA have posted pics of the upcoming BB-8 First Order playset... since there are still some of us left who care about getting a decent playset from Hasbro, here are some of my observations:

- from top-to-bottom: Snoke's throne room (more of a balcony than a room), the Star Destroyer bridge, hallway with a red-panelled bridge, and what may be the trash compactor room at the bottom.

- comes with a very tall Snoke 5POA action figure who has no way to sit in his own throne it would seem (at least not without looking really awkward). He's wearing a long gold robe (which for some reason made me think of Donald Trump)

- also comes with a suprisingly decent Praetorian Guard, although the arms continue to look poorly designed

- on the left side of the hallway level seems to be a bridge that I bet collapses, allowing figures to fall into the trash compactor

Unfortunately since the playset unfolds out of a BB-8 shape, it suffers from having a curvature to the walls that distorts the look of the hallway. But for the second level "bridge" this curvature actually helps a bit to convey the opposing angular windowed walls of the bridge.

BUT it's a huge disappointment that our first chance to get a playset of a Star Destroyer bridge (other than the Kenner vintage toy), one that might serve for both the OT and ST eras, and we end up with a tiny, tiny little play area! There's no lower deck for the technicians to sit in, only what seems to be the higher walkway where you can put a Vader to peer out one of the windows.
Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Re: The BB-8 First Order playset
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 05:40:54 PM »

I'll need to see better pictures, but based on that there is nothing there of interest to me. Maybe kids will like it.

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 10:02:38 AM »

I always wonder who the kids are in the promo pictures are if they actually had fun playing with the set.

KaleDayspring

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 11:21:36 AM »

Someone posted yesterday on Facebook (Yakface, JTA, Rebelscum, can't remember who) the price was 179.99 US. So, will this be worth the price (I would assume 229.99)

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 03:10:03 PM »

Is that wrist thing the Force Link do we imagine?

jmac

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 04:19:36 PM »

I'm glad there is a playset for those who have been asking for one. Seems like a pretty steep price for something that's part of the value figure line. I do really want Snoke though, so I hope there's another way to get him.

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 09:26:01 AM »

Well 179US translates to about 229Can which means it will likely be at least 249Can at TRU.

My first impression is I think it looks pretty cool. If this was OT based I might be interested. It could make for a nice way to display a bunch of figures. But being based on the new movie I have no desire to get it.

And at $250 I'm not sure anyone will be that interested.

Personally I wish they would do a series of smaller interlocking playsets. I would think that would be less risk than this. I'm surprised hasbro is putting a playset this expensive out especially given how negative they have been on them in recent years.

I wonder how other playset have done in other lines recently (ninja turtles for exampls).

KaleDayspring

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 10:16:23 AM »

Personally I wish they would do a series of smaller interlocking playsets. I would think that would be less risk than this. I'm surprised hasbro is putting a playset this expensive out especially given how negative they have been on them in recent years.

I wonder how other playset have done in other lines recently (ninja turtles for exampls).

Considering that Walmart was clearing the Technodrome at $15 when it started at $69, the sewer playset of $129 was down to $25 and the Batman huge Batcave playset was for $50 and then $30, I would guess that big playsets are not the thing.

It's funny but on Facebook I was reading comments about the price. Most were saying they would wait until the first sale and pick it up. Others would wait until clearance.

Darth Woo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 03:38:35 PM »

Wouldn't be surprised if this ends up like the At-Act where only TRU in Canada got it.  It's actually listed as a TRU exclusive in Canada which is why we'll never see those awesome clearance prices from Walmart.

Darth Woo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 10:00:19 AM »

Not my auction but there's some nice detail pics of the player from the box pictures.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 04:47:45 PM by jjreason »

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 04:42:37 PM »

Housecoat Snoak looks like the Hef of the Star Wars universe. Because of the seller's "other items" (some of which are adult in nature), I'm going to break the link - but folks can obviously search for this item # on ebay if they're interested in seeing the pics: 192279715337

Here's one for as long as the auction's up & the photo is hosted anyhow:

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 04:47:55 PM by jjreason »

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 04:49:01 PM »

And another, showing the Force Link in effect.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 10:01:08 AM »

"I have been expecting you."

So who has Snoke been expecting?  Luke? Did we just get a spoiler on that packaging? Or did the pizza delivery guy just show up?

Darth Woo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 10:14:37 AM »

Hasbro said they would add articulation where it makes sense. Then why did it not make sense to give Snoke knee joints so he can sit in his throne.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 12:44:21 PM »

Looking at the throne though, the seat looks awfully close to the floor... even if he could sit, his legs would likely be way too tall to look right on that particular throne.

That said, yeah, Hasbro should still have put in some kind of knee articulation but since the robe is sculpted and not softgoods (sigh) then it'd be a bendable robe, it might look a bit odd.
Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169077
  • Total Topics: 14342
  • Online Today: 83
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 54
Total: 55

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 39 queries.