Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 02:56:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

70 Guests, 1 User

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Disney vs Directors  (Read 597 times)

cmkjmacd

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • You must unlearn what you have learned!
    • View Profile
Disney vs Directors
« on: September 06, 2017, 07:04:10 PM »

So, if you haven't hear yet Colin Trevorow has been given the boot from Episode 9. So this is twice now that Disney has turfed its directors on SW movies citing creative differences. What are your thoughts?

bob

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Disney vs Directors
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 09:16:48 PM »

i think peoples assumption that Kathleen Kennedy is a corporate **** is right! (my words not theres :)

Gareth Edwards so far wins for doing the best job on a SW movie. Even he had problems with those reshoots and whatever else had to be changed. it did seem suspicious that so much had to be altered. sounds like higher up involvement :/ which is usually for lame reasons.

George Lucas showed his true colours when he called Disney ''White Slavers'' on Charlie Rose last year or whenever that ways. Sure he apologized after the fact...but eerrr. it was after the fact, right ? ha

it doesnt look so good. TFA isnt memorable,imo. is this what happens when the big wigs are 'happy' with a SW movie. it seems that way sorta.

EDITED: language softened with the finest *****s our forums have to offer - jj

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 09:39:15 PM by jjreason »

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 09:41:07 PM »

I'm glad it's happened now instead of a year from now. Sounds to me like they couldn't come to an agreement as to how the thing was supposed to play out - a fairly important thing to have a consensus on. Will be interesting to see who gets the tap to finish off this trilogy. Wouldn't it be something if GLu decided to step in.....

bob

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 09:50:49 PM »

i heard GL approached them with ideas for TFA but they turned him down. what a blow that would be! i know he sold it all but still! it would be cool,but i dont see that happening. never say never though!

cash_fan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Tell that to Kanjiklub
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 10:28:46 PM »

Meh, I'll wait till after December 15th to decide. 

Whatever they did to Rouge One, I liked it.  If TLJ blows my pants off, I say just let that director keep going. 
Cash fan, as in Johnny Cash

ambasah

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 11:54:28 AM »

You would think some of this stuff would be hashed out before a director is hired.

I liked Rogue One, but from what I've read, it would have been a better movie if the bean counters were not involved. It was supposed to be darker and some of the best scenes in the trailer were missing. I STILL want to see the stormtroopers in the water!

In the end, I will hope for the best and just be thankful that I have new star wars movies to share with my family and fellow fans.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 01:44:09 PM »

I believe George said something about Force Awakens being made as a movie the fans wanted & not being the movie he would have made... words to that effect.

This is going to sound bad, I know - but I'm fine with that. Make me 2 more movies that "the fans want" and, based on Force Awakens, I'll be happy enough at the end.

I think some directors come in & really want to put their stamp on it. My suggestion is that the story & dialogue are largely written & they basically need a human to sit in the director's chair & help deal with any petty BS that arises on set. Other than that, it's likely a done deal. If your massive director-ego can't deal with that, don't bother applying for the job.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 02:26:53 PM »

Yeah, I'm fine with Disney making SW for fans...as long as while I sit in the theatre I never feel like I'm being pandered to...even if that is exactly what is happening! It's a fine line for sure but for now it hasn't been crossed for me personally. I don't think it will be the amount of pandering (though that could come into play) but the ability to have the emotional impact of the story override any interfering awareness of it. So far so good! Because even when some of the "similarities" to the OT or apparent stupidities are pointed out to me, the overall experience/ride that was TFA worked completely for me and left me feeling like I'd fallen back into the universe I knew and loved but with some surprises. Exactly what was missing for me in the PT. That experience felt like I was being given something that was someone else's version of SW, my fan-desires be damned! (and yeah, it is weird because it was the same guy who made the first ones...sort of...older, different life experiences piling up, more able to have complete control and not be forced to "play nice with others" if he didn't want to...etc).

Disney didn't buy SW to give auteurs a playground to play in. They bought it to make money and they know for the time being one way to do that is to give us a universe that feels as integrated as possible.

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 04:28:56 PM »

I believe part of the issue is that Disney seems to think Directors are also Writers. Disney did/does not seem to have an general story arc planned and they are letting the Directors writer their own stuff. I think it would have been better to have a general story planned out before all of this started an get talented writers to put scripts together. Then get experienced Directors to put it all together. Not allow each Director to come up with his/her own story and then find out nobody at Disney likes it and then get fired. Seems like a strange process to me.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 05:28:27 PM »

If that is the case, then yes, that is strange. Maybe they were hoping that directors would by chance offer up great ideas that would just happen to flow nicely with everything else around it...so like you say strange. I'm very surprised though that Disney does not have a plan. Has it been confirmed that this is how they are working?

Darth Woo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 05:40:32 PM »

I wonder if one of the issues was that they could not come to an agreement as to how they wanted to handle Leia's story.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 06:21:15 PM »

I thought Lawrence Kasdan was part of the story group & thus (almost assuredly) working on getting the story & dialogue done up. I would guess the director can "mess" with it in certain ways by changing the pacing or tone of said provided dialogue, but I can't see them allowing a hired director to come up with the story proper.

cash_fan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Tell that to Kanjiklub
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 11:49:37 PM »

One or two more comments....

Kevin Feige has been doing this (firing directors) as Marvel Studios boss.  I've been very happy with the way those movies have turned out. 

From what I heard about the direction Lord and Miller were taking the Han Solo movie I'm glad they are out.  I didn't want a Han Solo movie because I felt that the character was untouchable - Harrison Ford should have been the only person to play Solo.  But now I'm acutally a little bit excited about it.  I've heard that it was Kasdan that wasn't happy with Lord and Miller and got them booted (for not following the script). 

I think Darth Woo is right about IX.  I think they have been fighting over how to handle Leia.  TFA was Harrisons Ford chance to shine, VIII is going to be Mark Hamill's, and XI was supposed to be for Carrie Fisher to take center stage. 
Cash fan, as in Johnny Cash

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 03:42:53 PM »

About Disney leaving the story to the directors - that was not their plan. They hired Michael Arndt to write the script in the first place, but he was actually the first casualty of the Disney era,  and Abrams and Kasdan stepped in. Both have been involved in the story since then, with all 3 directors giving some input. For episode 9, it will be Abrams and another writer who do the script.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 03:46:31 PM »

Also, this is actually the third director firing - Josh Trank was the first to guy, fired from an as-yet unnamed spin-off movie.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 168448
  • Total Topics: 14313
  • Online Today: 73
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 70
Total: 71

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 38 queries.