Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2017, 03:30:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

50 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: JJ Abrams back for Episode IX  (Read 709 times)

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
JJ Abrams back for Episode IX
« on: September 12, 2017, 03:37:23 PM »

As was recently posted here, another drop out in the Star Wars directing world - Colin Trevorrow is no longer doing Episode IX due to the classic "creative differences" with Kathleen Kennedy et al at Lucasfilm.

Just announced today, though - JJ Abrams will be taking the role of writer and director! Good news for some fans, bad for others. Time will tell, but immediate thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 03:43:32 PM by brianakarobin »

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: JJ Abrams back for Episode IX
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 03:54:08 PM »

I'm good with it in theory. I'm a fan of TFA. If TLJ blows it out of the water I might be less enthused.

At the very least I think JJ gets that characters emoting, jumping into action and generally embodying their character goes a long way. And his stories rarely lack in the action department. There are also several moments in TFA that I find oddly pandering/brilliant at the same time. Rey's speeder going across the screen at twilight comes to mind.

Darth Woo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 04:15:36 PM »

ROTJ II, here we go!

j/k.  I liked TFA and do welcome the news of Abrams taking over.

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 05:03:07 PM »

At this stage I will wait and see what TLJ looks like and go from there. TFA was ok and I was hoping they would have gone in a new direction. Maybe TLJ will do that but it really isn't looking that way.

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 06:16:56 PM »

:mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177: :mad0177:
TFA -  >:( >:( :mad0137: :mad0137: >:( >:( :mad0137: :mad0137: >:( >:( :mad0137: :mad0137:
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

bob

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 06:55:30 PM »

not impressed. TFA has its moments but it also has a lot of moments that just arent memorable to me :/ i dont jump on the ''its a new hope rehash'' like a lot do. although its true in parts.

i just think hes a bad choice to end the trilogy after doing the first one. doesnt feel right...at least it makes me more excited for TLJ and 2019 doesnt have to come sooner then later! ha

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 06:59:22 PM by bob »

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 07:25:22 PM »

I'm a huge hardcore Star Wars fan so for me all Star Wars movies suck except the original theatrical 1977 release of the the first Star Wars movie when it was the only one and had no "Episode" chapter on top of the scrolling intro, but in fact I dislike all about this movie except the scrolling intro, the Yavin IV Ceremony (mostly because of the fanfare theme) and the end credits (because of the SW theme).

I also hate all the anime series (except a few minutes of the Tartakovsky's Clone Wars series) as much as I hated the Ewoks and Droids Cartoons back in the 80's, but I really like Ahsoka and Ezra and all, but not Maul because he was part of the prequels which I hate the most except the Ewoks.

I also collect everything Star Wars because I really like Star Wars, so I collect all the Kenner era stuff, the modern era stuff, the Clone Wars era stuff, the Rebels era stuff, even though I hate everything except collecting the Empire-related stuff. So I spend thousands of dollars every year (I think I own approx. 100k$ of Star Wars merchandise in my place), but I really despise Hasbro and what they do, especially the 5POA figures which I collect both MOC and to be displayed on diorama settings on my shelves (for which I spend most of my weekends building while my wife takes care of our 3 kids).

So I really love Star Wars, because I'm a really true fan. And I'm sure I can do better than any directors and scripter, because I really love Star Wars more than anyone else.

I'm also bipolar and my favorite Star Wars movie is "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" because it doesn't have anything related to Star Wars in it. So when I watch it, I'm at peace.

:rollfloorlaffsmiley: :speechless-smiley-004: :tongue0024: :P

By the way, I'm being sarcastic. Not pointing anyone, really, except maybe some people I've read comment on Instagram. I've seen so many stuff in the past couple of hours on social media it really makes me believe we SW fans are the most difficult, pain-in-the-*** critics there is. Sometimes I think we're not fans of SW, we're just trying to fill the emptiness of our lives and we take all this way too seriously... ;)

My message: have fun! If SW brings you so much disappointment, then maybe it's time to consider looking somewhere else. There are so many movies and phenomenon all around, SW is merely a tiny bit of all there is. And Roger Rabbit is certainly not among them. :P
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 07:29:45 PM by JediPatrick »
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 07:41:03 PM »

I don't know what to think at first glance. I liked TFA, but there was a part of me that was hoping for 3 creative minds to each try their hand at one of the movies. There are certainly WORSE things that could happen, based on my good opinion of TFA.

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 07:59:28 PM »

I don't know what to think at first glance. I liked TFA, but there was a part of me that was hoping for 3 creative minds to each try their hand at one of the movies. There are certainly WORSE things that could happen, based on my good opinion of TFA.

I really enjoyed TFA and I'm glad JJA returns to end what he helped started. Hoping E8 will enable to tie the knots he developped in E7.

To be quite frank, I really like the spin offs to be directed by newcomers. These are not the main stream movies, so as long as the overall esthetics is respected and true to what Lucasfilm created, I'm all for new creative minds...

But in the end, SW for me is like candy. It's entertainment. And toys as well. So I take what is given. They're certainly not the best movies I've seen in my life (absolutely not: even Empire Strikes Back no reaches of what a true artistic movie is for me), but they are Star Wars movies, so I'm happy with every release. I'm a kid whenever I watch SW. :)

Well... except Forces of Destiny. This honestly really sucks.  :)
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 09:53:14 PM »

Not knowing the script for the Last Jedi - I am guessing Luke is still alive at the end of the movie.  So this is my main concern about JJ writing the last movie.  He will be in charge of ending Luke's life in the final movie.
Luke has to die a hero's death worthy of his character. But I am pretty sure JJ Abrams will let Luke trip over a mouse droid and hit his head and he never wakes up.  TFA - Han Solo Death Scene -  :sign0065: 
Mark Hamill and I agree on this point.
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 10:05:28 PM »

I think there is more to be revealed about Han's death, CJ, possibly even enough to make you shed a tear or two and renounce your hatred of JJ & TFA. I foresee you singing its praises come December 2019 in fact.  :love0030:

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 10:25:35 AM »

I was disappointed as well how Han went out. I thought he should have gone out with more of a bang. They did need to move the story somehow with Kylo so Han was the easiest way to do this and Harrison Ford wanted out as well. It will be interesting what they do with Luke and Leia. I will be a little upset if Luke is taken out by some chump. If he goes out like Obi Wan, which is what I am thinking will happen, I am ok with that.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 04:27:49 PM »

Obi wan lifted his lightsaber and let himself be cut down which was cool but pretty passive agressive at the same time. Han tried to help his unstable son because he knew it was the only chance he had, risky as it was, and he paid the price...or perhaps as my pet theory goes...he helped Kylo move closer to his bigger picture goal that not even Snoke knows of!

Regardless, Han's death was poignant IMO. I'm sure some out there who are parents could still have problems with it but it really resonated for me as a parent...maybe because my own kids are entering that age where the outside the home influences of classmates etc are starting to play their part and I'm quickly losing any hope that I'll have much more say in their development from here on out! I think Ford played that scene to perfection. And Driver was suitably torn over it all as well. To each their own ultimately but I wonder what else people were expecting really from an old man passing the torch? Dying in a fire fight would have been too cliche IMO. Having him give Leia his word he'd do something for their son and then die trying? Pretty powerful if you ask me. Yes it means we won't get the Luke/Leia/Han reunion some were hoping for and that I get but it was pretty much worth it. And will make it all the more heartbreaking when we probably get Luke's reaction to the news eventually. My 2 cents!

(and if this were rebelscum's boards I'd be waiting for the uber-personal hate to begin...but we're all friends here, right?)

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 06:08:24 PM »

We collectively have decidedly different views on Han's demise & TFA - but yes, friends for sure!  :u: :u: :u: :u: :u:

If I can play video games with CJ after all his unsolicited personal attacks, I can consider ANYONE my friend apparently......  :rollfloorlaffsmiley:

cash_fan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Tell that to Kanjiklub
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 07:54:02 PM »

I'm comfortable with Abrams directing IX.  I'm glad that he will get the chance to wrap up Leia's story.  I think now she has to make some sort of appearance - she just can't die off camera and get a mention in passing like Indiana Jone's dad.

I know Kathelene Kenedy said Leia will not be in IX but brining Abrams back makes me think other wise. 
Cash fan, as in Johnny Cash
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 168094
  • Total Topics: 14287
  • Online Today: 73
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 50
Total: 50

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 37 queries.