Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 24, 2018, 06:52:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

29 Guests, 1 User

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: TRU files for bankruptcy protection  (Read 1168 times)

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: TRU files for bankruptcy protection
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 12:04:39 PM »

It's all our fault! Always waiting for those BOGHO sales and such instead of paying full price!!!

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 05:10:32 PM »

Crazy!  It's a sad day for toy collectors of all types...

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 05:20:46 PM »

Let us hope they can restructure and continue on.

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 09:29:35 PM »

My opinion is the toy manufacturers are causing the demise of the toy industry.   Poor quality, poor distribution and over priced products. Lego and Playmobile still make good products but Hasbro and Mattel are really down grading what they are producing. 
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

DarthVader77

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 01:35:03 AM »

I was never all that impressed with Toys R Us since they arrived in Canada. For a company that should have a monopoly on the toy market (especially in Canada these days), they make some poor business decisions. On the Star Wars front alone, they should know by now that the 3 3/4" action figures are king, yet they only stock on average about 8 - 12 pegs of them; many of them being several years old. Many new items are hard to find, and they often skip waves forcing collectors to turn to other US-based companies to buy product.

I think it's time we bring Toy City back again; a *Canadian* company that understood its customers and strived to please them.

dangerlinto

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 08:04:53 AM »

On the Star Wars front alone, they should know by now that the 3 3/4" action figures are king, yet they only stock on average about 8 - 12 pegs of them; many of them being several years old. Many new items are hard to find, and they often skip waves forcing collectors to turn to other US-based companies to buy product.

I'm not sure it's 100% Toys R Us fault on that one.  I'm sure the Hasbro Corp sales people are pushing all those role-play items that take up enormous amounts of shelf space and rarely, if ever, move.  But it's obvious they have totally lost touch with what items are likely to leave their shelves and run-rates for those items.   It's not just Star Wars items either.  Other segments are equally poorly served.

The whole industry needs a shake up - Toys R Us is just suffering because their entire business model is based on the toy industry.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 09:23:05 AM »

People don't want to leave home to shop. Brick & Mortal sales places, especially huge unwieldy ones like, this selling expensive novelty items that can be obtained via other online retailers (much cheaper in many cases) doesn't sound like a modern recipe for success.

I can imagine them moving in a direction similar to IKEA where they have few large stores that folks would have to travel to access coupled with more numerous smaller outlets folks can use to order & pick up items, as well as view or purchase a very limited supply of things they'd keep on hand.

Brinn 71

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Snowtroopers do it better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 01:27:53 PM »

This SUCKS!  :(
I AM CANADIAN!

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 03:32:41 PM »

I can imagine them moving in a direction similar to IKEA where they have few large stores that folks would have to travel to access coupled with more numerous smaller outlets folks can use to order & pick up items, as well as view or purchase a very limited supply of things they'd keep on hand.

They actually have already done this.  The Toys R Us Express stores (mostly in Ontario) all closed 3 years ago as a cost cutting measure.  I ran one in Keswick which the customers loved and was doing great.  They swung the axe at all of them rather than just the ones that were under performing. 

I doubt we'll see their return unfortunately.

DarthVader77

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 04:28:52 PM »

DarthVader77

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 04:32:12 PM »

I'm not sure it's 100% Toys R Us fault on that one.  I'm sure the Hasbro Corp sales people are pushing all those role-play items that take up enormous amounts of shelf space and rarely, if ever, move.  But it's obvious they have totally lost touch with what items are likely to leave their shelves and run-rates for those items.   It's not just Star Wars items either.  Other segments are equally poorly served.

Definitely, but there are things that they can do to satisfy the customer that they aren't doing. For instance, in the vintage era, Kenner (now Hasbro) would ship solid pack cases of one figure if it was difficult to keep in stock if retailers ordered them. If Toys R Us would take advantage of that these days, it would eliminate people from having to buy online from the USA for elusive figures like the Emperor's Royal Guard.

ambasah

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 05:04:57 PM »

in my view, a big part of it has to do with what kids play with today.

looking at my nieces and nephews, they are transfixed by video games and the internet.

My own kids (just 5) seem to be hovering that way as well already.

I imagine the popularity of ebgames for example ate into TRU bottom line.

dangerlinto

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 07:22:50 PM »

Definitely, but there are things that they can do to satisfy the customer that they aren't doing. For instance, in the vintage era, Kenner (now Hasbro) would ship solid pack cases of one figure if it was difficult to keep in stock if retailers ordered them. If Toys R Us would take advantage of that these days, it would eliminate people from having to buy online from the USA for elusive figures like the Emperor's Royal Guard.

Those days of non-sigma six shipping are gone - and logistically not realistic. You are assuming there is someone like yourself who cares at every level of the chain (including store level, district and national level) about *which* star wars figures are being bought and sold at TRU.  Now stretch that across every toy line they've got - that's a lot of people - and a super unlikely scenario to actually occur.

Anything less than that amount of work and you won't get what you want.  And if that happened, I don't think you'd like the increase in price as the massive headcount would require TRU to charge.

No the problem is mostly Hasbro's there.  They *do* have people who are in charge of their product lines, and they are almost solely responsible for the terrible waves of figures which keep their own product from moving out the door.  They boggle the mind. While I appreciate they probably make these decisions months before they would know about existing pegwarmers and sometimes have to guess fan interest, it's like they are deliberately obtuse about understanding their own market.  For example, how many times does the ERG have to be a chase figure before they repack it in a 2nd wave?  The last time I recall the ERG appearing again in a wave after it's original release was 1997 Freeze Frames..

Apparently Toys R Us Canada is in the black and has been helping to prop up Toys R Us USA for some time now:

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/retail-marketing/profitable-toys-r-us-canada-granted-court-protection-after-u-s-parent-files-for-chapter-11/wcm/55c27a9f-67b6-4718-83cb-1f532c780eb9

I find this very, very interesting, but ultimately less surprising when I thought about it.  There are, really, only a couple of places to get toys in Canada. (This was the only good thing about having target around).   And there are still people who simply will not set foot in a Wal-mart - and they have to buy toys for their kids/presents.

And Toys R Us .ca is not too shabby.  They really, really need to put some of that cash into a top-notch place to retail toys.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 07:29:39 PM by dangerlinto »

DarthVader77

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 08:58:29 PM »

Those days of non-sigma six shipping are gone - and logistically not realistic. You are assuming there is someone like yourself who cares at every level of the chain (including store level, district and national level) about *which* star wars figures are being bought and sold at TRU.  Now stretch that across every toy line they've got - that's a lot of people - and a super unlikely scenario to actually occur.

That's precisely my point though; Toys R Us has options at their disposal to take advantage of to please the customer, but they aren't doing it. If a retailer could monitor selling trends back in 1978 and place additional orders for high selling items, then a company in 2017 surely can.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169129
  • Total Topics: 14345
  • Online Today: 35
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 29
Total: 30

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 39 queries.