Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2018, 05:54:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

69 Guests, 2 Users

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: TRU files for bankruptcy protection  (Read 1502 times)

dangerlinto

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: TRU files for bankruptcy protection
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2017, 09:40:34 PM »

Those days of non-sigma six shipping are gone - and logistically not realistic. You are assuming there is someone like yourself who cares at every level of the chain (including store level, district and national level) about *which* star wars figures are being bought and sold at TRU.  Now stretch that across every toy line they've got - that's a lot of people - and a super unlikely scenario to actually occur.

That's precisely my point though; Toys R Us has options at their disposal to take advantage of to please the customer, but they aren't doing it. If a retailer could monitor selling trends back in 1978 and place additional orders for high selling items, then a company in 2017 surely can.

I'm not sure you understood my point.  TRU does NOT have the options.  Hasbro took them away in the name of operational efficiency.

cash_fan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Tell that to Kanjiklub
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2017, 11:10:02 PM »

Apparently Toys R Us Canada is in the black and has been helping to prop up Toys R Us USA for some time now:

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/retail-marketing/profitable-toys-r-us-canada-granted-court-protection-after-u-s-parent-files-for-chapter-11/wcm/55c27a9f-67b6-4718-83cb-1f532c780eb9

I didn't read the link but I'm gonna comment on it anyway. 

TRU in the US has threatened Chapter 11 before, maybe more than once, but has relied on TRU international to pay it's bills.  Years ago shareholders made a push to seperate the two brands TRU and Babies R Us because BRU was the only thing keeping TRU afloat. 

I'm not saying that filling for bankruptcy is the nail in the coffin for TRU but it certainly is one foot in the grave.  They will never be able to pay back the 5 billion that they owe.  Never.  Target had a 5.4 billion loss in Canada and just packed up and went home.  TRU doesn't have that option, doesn't have the luxury of selling groceries, and doesn't know how to let go of dead (not moving) inventory.  The big box store concept (specialty type ie TRU-Best Buy-Sears) has one more generation left in it and then it's gone.   

I don't wanna see TRU go but they gotta make some changes. 
Cash fan, as in Johnny Cash

skywalker1973

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2017, 11:52:50 PM »

Hasbro, Mattel and other toy makers must be getting nervous right now. Walmart will have them right where they want them, over a barrel.
Hasbro's going to start trying some weird stuff in order to try and stay relevant.

DarthVader77

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2017, 09:52:53 AM »

I'm not sure you understood my point.  TRU does NOT have the options.  Hasbro took them away in the name of operational efficiency.

But they do. Customer buying patterns can be analyzed on multiple levels in order to support purchase orders. Historical sales data is there not only for Hasbro but for all manufacturers, categories of toys, age groups, gender etc. Instead of doing their homework and basing orders largely on historical demand and current trends, Toys R Us buys a little of everything winding up with too much of some items and not enough of others. If they did a better job at their analysis to support their ordering, they would be more successful, regardless of what buying options the various toy manufacturers offer.

dangerlinto

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 10:14:10 AM »

But they do. Customer buying patterns can be analyzed on multiple levels in order to support purchase orders. Historical sales data is there not only for Hasbro but for all manufacturers, categories of toys, age groups, gender etc. Instead of doing their homework and basing orders largely on historical demand and current trends, Toys R Us buys a little of everything winding up with too much of some items and not enough of others. If they did a better job at their analysis to support their ordering, they would be more successful, regardless of what buying options the various toy manufacturers offer.

No doubt.

But they do NOT have the option to buy whole cases of a single figure even when it's clear that the figure is far and away the most popular, nor do they have the ability to avoid the figure that will warm their pegs when they try to fill back up their shelves, as was stated originally.  They don't have the option to get a mix of their choosing to reflect regional differences - just an algorithm that re-orders product when stock levels are down, and even if they had that option, they would need a person, not an algorithm to do so, raising their costs.    Sure, they could steer clear of white and orange Stormtrooper blasters in favour of *more* figures, but that would only exacerbate the peg-warming issue - to which is the only issue I'm stating can't be reasonably resolved by TRU. 

I have had an account with Hasbro before.  I could do all the homework I wanted and still it would never, ever allow us to avoid receiving mountains of peg-warmers. 

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2017, 01:35:37 PM »

Hasbro, on the other hand, has done their homework. They have figured out how to force their customers (big & small) to order the max number of cases to meet demand for the few really interesting figures - it's the same as the comic companies forcing stores to buy 100 copies of a book just to have access to 4 copies of the desirable cover. Hasbro still sells their 1000s of cases, even if 3/4 of the product is never going to be sold at regular retail price. And to top it all off - in order to keep their Hasbro distributorship, the buyer MUST meet certain target purchasing numbers or they can't buy any more!! Talk about a game rigged in someone's favor!  :speechless-smiley-004:

dangerlinto

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2017, 07:56:06 PM »

Hasbro, on the other hand, has done their homework. They have figured out how to force their customers (big & small) to order the max number of cases to meet demand for the few really interesting figures - it's the same as the comic companies forcing stores to buy 100 copies of a book just to have access to 4 copies of the desirable cover. Hasbro still sells their 1000s of cases, even if 3/4 of the product is never going to be sold at regular retail price. And to top it all off - in order to keep their Hasbro distributorship, the buyer MUST meet certain target purchasing numbers or they can't buy any more!! Talk about a game rigged in someone's favor!  :speechless-smiley-004:

For sure.  They are purposely harming their distribution channel's run rate.  Without pegwarmers, you'd think they can move through more stock -
 that means somewhere there is a bean-counter that has either convinced (or proven) that using that method, lazy as it may seem, to be more profitable than to be more agile in meeting their customer needs. 

I'm sure it's not all tin-foil hats there - some of it is they just guess wrong.  Like sometimes you make Constable Zuvio and then the character gets cut from the movie and what can you do?  You've already mass produced Constable Zuvio.  Other times you guess wrong on how many Jyn Ersos and Cassians are wanted and how many Chirruts and Bazes are wanted and you screw up there too. 

But it's all about those case assortments, one way or another.  (Case in point - we are going to see a LOT of Kylo Rens on the shelf this season)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 08:40:07 AM by dangerlinto »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: Garhod
Stats
  • Total Posts: 170105
  • Total Topics: 14395
  • Online Today: 72
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 69
Total: 71

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 39 queries.