Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 16, 2018, 06:28:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

57 Guests, 2 Users

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: JJ Abrams back for Episode IX  (Read 1923 times)

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
Re: JJ Abrams back for Episode IX
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2017, 07:47:04 PM »

This actually happens several times in the EU, most notably in the Dark Empire comic series where Luke joins the dark side along with the resurrected emperor in an attempt to destroy it from within. It also happened in the Tales of the Jedi comics, where Ulic Qel-Droma tries to do the same thing.

It is certainly a possibility that Kylo could be doing this. I have wondered the same thing. I can't wait to see episode 8 and see where things are headed, but even if this theory is true, I'm sure we won't know until episode 9.

I'm certain we will see some kind of redemption for Kylo/Ben by eps9.  I just don't expect a lot of originality from Abrams - he's simply not a good writer nor capable of anything innovative. He'll give the audience what he thinks they want and the Dark Empire-style "Good guy goes undercover to disrupt the forces of evil from within, gets corrupted but comes back to light" is an easy route to take.  I also would include the now non-canon Republic comic storyline with Quinlon Vos going dark as yet another iteration of this archetypal storyline.

I have my own theory as to where this is headed, a somewhat cynical theory based on the fact that Disney wants to continue the mainline saga forever and won't simply end it with eps9 on a happy (and permanent) note:

a) Rey is the reincarnation of Anakin Skywalker, brought back to life and would keep returning to life again and again, until he has fully atoned for his actions in the prequels; it doesn't mean (s)he can't also be Luke's daughter, but she is also his father too.  I groan at the thought of this, but it would explain Rey's inexplicable deus-ex machina skill with the Force in eps7.

b) Rey will thus somehow influence Kylo to come back to the lightside, because she IS the grandfather that Kylo has been worshipping and can tell him directly that following the darkside is the wrong path and that at the very end he returned to good...

c) eps9 will mirror RotS just as much as it might mirror RotJ; we expect that Snoke will be defeated and the First Order crushed, but what if instead, just like with RotS it is about the utter defeat of the new Republic, the rise of the First Order across the galaxy?  Perhaps Rey has to go into hiding (possibly with Ben Solo, or maybe he dies in an attempt to atone) to form a new rebellion consisting of all Force users this time... and thus eps10 will take place 17 years later when the First Order is essentially Empire 2.0, and Rey's child/children lead some kind of new Force order against Empire2 which is enforced by the Knights of Ren (a dark mirror of the PT Republic which was safeguarded by the Jedi Knights).

This theory makes the most sense to me since Disney wants the cashcow to be fed forever and they aren't going to create yet another Empire clone (even Disney must say it'll feel like a lazy retread by that point) so just let the FO win the sequel trilogy and fully take over for almost 2 decades.  I'm pretty much done treating the sequel trilogy as canon anyway, so they can do whatever they want, and this approach lets them milk it and milk it for another 3 more sequel-sequel film$ until they just reboot the whole thing to start all over from eps1 to 12 again. It's my Ring Theory of franchise-milking.
Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2017, 09:21:57 PM »

I'm on the fence. I could see them using the "ending of the Jedi" as fodder for future films where the Jedi are reborn, rediscovered, reimagined. So that the old feels new again maybe?

Sinkie:

I think in the next movie they could have some kind of end to the Jedi -but I think we would all agree that there is zero chance that the Jedi are over and done with.
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

PizzatheHutt

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2017, 06:47:12 PM »

I would take Abrams over Treverrow if that was the only two options.  Other wise I would've almost took anyone over Abrams besides the young spur of the moment directors Kennedy keeps hiring & firing.

If TLJ is awesome I would've just stayed with Johnson to keep the same flow for 8 & 9.
We have about a Ewok chance in a Rancor pit.
Formely Darth2002 from thee ancient boards Power of the Northside.
Who's the more foolish...The fool or the fool who follow's him.

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2017, 11:00:34 AM »

I think they did offer EP 9 to Rian Johnson first but he turned it down.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169072
  • Total Topics: 14342
  • Online Today: 78
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 57
Total: 59

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 40 queries.