Forum > Wampa Cave

Netflix-The Toys That Made Us

<< < (2/4) > >>

jjreason:
What they didn't really mention was the rise of Joes actually being responsible in part for the downfall of the SW line. As soon as I had wave 2 Joes in my hands with the swivel arm articulation - any interest I had in finishing off the last couple of waves of SW figures was long, long, long gone. You couldn't compare the two products in any other category beside height.

Eradicator:
I agree. I loved G.I. Joe when I was a kid. The articulation was great and the vehicles were awesome. I found they had much more play ability than SW. I still love Joes and collect them as well.

dangerlinto:

--- Quote from: jjreason on December 28, 2017, 06:04:51 PM ---What they didn't really mention was the rise of Joes actually being responsible in part for the downfall of the SW line. As soon as I had wave 2 Joes in my hands with the swivel arm articulation - any interest I had in finishing off the last couple of waves of SW figures was long, long, long gone. You couldn't compare the two products in any other category beside height.

--- End quote ---

That may be the case, but most kids of the age intended were a little less discriminatory in the articulation of the toys. Keep in mind right now the most successful "toy" line out there bear almost no likeness at all to the their screen counterparts and often have only a single point of articulation.

While GI Joe may have been physically superior, their success at the time rested a lot on the fact they had a successful morning cartoon, and Star Wars had Ewoks and Droids.  Both of which paled in comparison to Transformers in terms of toy sales.

Eradicator:
Yeah, the cartoon was awesome. I loved it.

jjreason:
I did really enjoy the GI Joe cartoon & also the comics - I guess it all played a role - but for me personally it was the comparison between the toys. Maybe not the same for others.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version