Forum > Wampa Cave

Star wars Toys Sales down

(1/3) > >>

dangerlinto:
Article from The Star today:

https://www.thestar.com/business/2018/01/18/star-wars-toy-sales-fall-as-movie-tie-in-fatigue-sets-in.html

There's a lot of things to discuss here, but this comment struck a chord:

“Star Wars is a force to be reckoned with in the toy industry,” the brand’s owner, Walt Disney Co., said in a statement. “It remains the leading film-driven property for the entire year."

This quote seems to be a defense quote from the Mouse House justifying the amount of money they charged Hasbro et all for toy licenses.

I'm putting my bet on right now - when that license comes up for renewal in 2020, they won't get 1/10th the offer of what they got the last time from Hasbro.

jjreason:
Kids' interests have changed too much. We (old men) are the only people buying action figures en masse (not to mention comic books) these days.

Darth Woo:
Which is why Hasbro should just ditch 5 POA and go back to SA.

Sadly, they're more likely to ditch 3.75 line altogether and only give us 6".

napseeker:

--- Quote from: Darth Woo on January 18, 2018, 11:08:39 PM ---Which is why Hasbro should just ditch 5 POA and go back to SA.

Sadly, they're more likely to ditch 3.75 line altogether and only give us 6".

--- End quote ---

Well no, no let's not get too pessimistic here... Hasbro seems to be slowly course correcting. They've stated TVC is coming back this spring and will be around for 3 years (at least! obviously this all depends on sales...)  So 3.75" SA isn't dead, it's getting another shot at life again but I hope Hasbro hasn't converted so many collectors over to the 6" scale that not enough people will care. 

And naturally it hurts that TVC2018 will start off with a wave of mostly repacks of pegwarmers and main characters that everyone has already except for Snoke. I mean, does Hasbro even use common sense any more? 

It was pointed out in a US thread that Mattel is going to do "collector grade articulation" for their upcoming Jurassic World toyline, with good accessories and avoiding gimmicks like missile-launching crap or build-a-weapon-that-looks-like-garbage.  If enough people support both Hasbro and Mattel's slow moves back into SA 3.75" maybe we'll someday see MarvelU and DCM 3.75" return as well.  And GI Joe...

ambasah:

--- Quote from: jjreason on January 18, 2018, 03:25:03 PM ---Kids' interests have changed too much. We (old men) are the only people buying action figures en masse (not to mention comic books) these days.

--- End quote ---

100% this. ask most 10 year olds what they want for their bday. I bet it will be electronic / video game related.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version