Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2018, 12:10:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

47 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent Figs poor quality?  (Read 4017 times)

Kenobi1125

• Empire
  • Recruit
  • Must... Buy... More... Spend! Spend! Spend!
    • View Profile
Recent Figs poor quality?
« on: August 24, 2003, 12:22:36 AM »

Anyone else have a comment on the current state of SW Action figs and there poor plastic/paint?

Basically I'm finding the last few waves of figs to have, for the most part, a cheaper, semi translucent plastic, and little paint? And don't get me started on that Flying R2 fig with the grey dome!

The scupts seem the same decent quality, but the material, compared to past figs, appears just cheaper- more toy/less collectible.

Comments?

Invisible Zombie

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Evil Dead Zombie that collects Star Wars
    • View Profile
Re:Recent Figs poor quality?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2003, 01:03:42 AM »

Hasbro indeed uses cheaper plastic. Figures today are fragile compared to those POTF2 and Episode 1 figures.  :( However,  we  do get more accessories,  ;) in order to keep the cost down, come with deccent accessories and maintains the price to be reasonable, hasbro has to cheat on the materials i.e. use cheaper quality plastic.  

I don't like those gumy bear type plastic and filmsy blaster... but one needle can't ve two sharp pointed tips...  :-\  

collecting figures is my favourite hobby... don't want to quit because toy companies use cheap plastic, if  i lke the scuplt of the figure, i 'll still buy it regardless of the material.  
He's no good to me dead.

NITROG71

• <A+++ Trader>
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF Happy collecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2003, 08:00:58 AM »

Yes, gone are the days of good material!  But as Invisible Zombie stated, if the figure has a nice sculpt to it, ie Unleashed Padme for an example :-* ;) I'll add it to my collection.  

haggisking

• <A++ Trader>
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Not just the president but also a client!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2003, 01:48:25 PM »

I agree 100%.  There is a finallly between what is acceptable and what is too flimsy, great sculpt or not.  Other companies manage to use decent plastic and still make good figs.
They're COLLECTIBLES.  They don't become TOYS until you take them out of the package.

NO exclusives please - we're Canadian!

Darklighter67

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2003, 10:53:35 AM »

I am not here to put down the figures.Thay have always been my main passion BUT I really miss the fact that you just can't really get to use them in too many situations.What I mean is that the vintage were able to fit in any ship,it didn't really matter who it was then with every newer relese it beacme harder to do.Have you ever tried to get Chewie and Han into the falcon cockpit?(careful or you'll break the panel.)
Sure the newest line offers some of the best sclulpting in the line but c'mon .....how many poses can one do with a Kit Fisko that doesn't include weilding a Lightsaber.

"Let the Wookie win!"

themailman

• Postal
  • Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • "You'll Never Walk Alone"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2003, 05:28:35 PM »

This is one of these situations where Hasbro looked at the line and decided to make the figures with action.

I know there are many an opener, but most are carded collectors, to me they look fine in the bubble the way they are.

and for those that open, who plays with them, or who displays?

My son has about 200 loose figures he plays with, the same way i did with my vintage line when i was 7-8 years old.
Burlington, Ontario

Kitchener

• <A++Trader> Dark
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Rock Bottom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2003, 07:41:25 PM »

I have no problem with them!
First ever Survivor Champ!

apu nahasapenipeth

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2003, 11:04:43 AM »

Those asinine "action features" they put on figs add a lot of cost and small parts to the fig so they have to cut corners somewhere, material/paint is the obvious choice.  

Take a look at the clone trooper army 3 packs.  Those clones are not painted nearly as well as the red commander and don't have the articulation.  Of course 3 carded commanders would cost about 50% more than a 3 pack of clones too.  You get what you pay for I guess.

On the flip side of that look how little palstic/paint there is in a battle droid as opposed to Ephant Mon, yet they're the same price.  

themailman

• Postal
  • Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • "You'll Never Walk Alone"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2003, 07:36:25 PM »

On the flip side of that look how little palstic/paint there is in a battle droid as opposed to Ephant Mon, yet they're the same price.  

I've said the same to the wife. Ephant Mon $6US (average retail) or the POTF2 red carded R2-D2.

Burlington, Ontario

Dav'sa Arman

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • formerly DaveThePinoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2003, 01:20:05 PM »

I'm just glad the newer figures will have more articulation and less "action features"

Dav'sa Arman: Mandalorian Soldier

Prince de Lu

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
  • St-Hyacinthe, Québec
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2003, 11:23:16 AM »

Yes bring us more articulation...YoJoe!!!

PdL

Rimsey

• <A++ Trader>
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2003, 01:50:42 AM »

I just got the newer figs (Aayla Secura, Barriss Offee wave) and I liked them. The only problems so far is with the Deluxe Clonetrooper which doesn't fit well into the Republic Gunship and the Clonetrooper doesn't fit onto the bike properly like the Anakin Swoop Bike or Dooku and his bike. And the rehash Ep.1 Yoda wasn't really needed. All in all I'm quite happy with the releases.
This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who. -King of Swamp Castle

Darron

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2003, 05:42:03 PM »

:( iv'e got a boba fet pit of carkoon and his cape came right off! :(

SleeplessKnight

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2003, 03:42:56 AM »

So, yesturday I picked up the SAGA Destroyer Droid. Pretty cool fig. Kinda disapointed by the cheap plastic that makes up his arms though. Seems like being crammed in that little packaging has made his arms bend inwards a little too much. Looks like he's huddled up shivering from the cold or something

Oh well, still a pretty cool fig.

stormtripper

• <A+++ Trader>
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2003, 02:42:58 AM »

I am the last person to defend Hasbro, but it appears that now they are improving figure quality and can add more articulation. Its seems that the stuff that comes out around movie time seems rushed even though it takes a full year for figures to roll off the assembly line after they are designed. They just have a supply in demand that they have to deal with now they can concentrate more on the collectors, POTJ line was a great example of this, the potj figures are among the best produced in my own opinion. Just an observation.
Forum Feedback Link

North Vancouver, Hollywood North....
MTMFnFBWY
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: Garhod
Stats
  • Total Posts: 170144
  • Total Topics: 14398
  • Online Today: 50
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 47
Total: 47

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 37 queries.