Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 18, 2018, 06:59:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

61 Guests, 4 Users

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Emperor, Dannl, WA-7  (Read 3036 times)

Barry

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Ottawa, ON
    • View Profile
    • Basement, #24
Emperor, Dannl, WA-7
« on: September 25, 2003, 07:04:55 PM »

Just got the Emperor, Lt. Dannl Faytonni and WA-7 from eBay (very cheap at that!) and thought I'd post a review!

THE EMPEROR

Articulation:  Neck (inaccesable due to hood), Shoulders (ball), Wrists (cut), Waist (cut) and Feet (cut)

Accessories:  Cane, Force Lightning

The Good:  The sculpt is great!  The face is really amazing too, especially that it's a complete head and not one with the hood.  The 'fabric' gives a good feel to it, like it's really hanging off him, and the hands have individual fingers in a force-lightning / pointing at Luke pose.  The cane is nice too, much better than the POTF2 Emperor's.

The Bad:  The hood is MASSIVE!  It's got too much 3-dimentionality to it.  It doesn't give the impression that it's fabric, but something more like a paper-maché buildup-helmet he made.  The figure comes with the hood pushed far back on his head and it looks ridiculous.  I found if you push his face back into the hood, it 'locks' in place in it and makes it lok a bit better.  It still looks massive though.  The force lightning is pretty pathetic too.  It's just crackling around his wrists and the back of his hands, like he's losing his charge or something.  Even one full out blast, or a re-used one from Dooku would be better than these.  The movable feet are pretty pointless too.

Overall:  3.5 out of 5 (Sad lightning, freakin' huge hood!)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

LT. DANNL FAYTONNI

Articulation:  Neck (cut), Shoulders (cut), Upper-Arms (cut) Wrists (cut), Waist (cut), Hips (cut), Knees (swivel) and Boots (cut).

Accessories:  Outlander Table, Base, Glass, Blaster Pistol

The Good:  The sculpt (again) is great!  The likeness to Anthony Daniels is very nicely done, but the hair looks a bit too full and grey as opposed to Mr. Daniel's thinning white hair.  The torso is slightly twisted in favour of leaning backwards, mainly for the pose of leaning back on one elbow at the table.  The holster is nice too, especially since he never drew a pistol in the movie.  The table is removable from the base (featuring two footpegs) and is a nice touch.  There's really not much to this figure, but it's very nicely pulled off, and nice to have an Anthony Daniels figure outside of 3PO!

The Bad:  The gun is very soft plastic, which is ok on it's own, but it kind of just mushes up inside the holster, probably resulting in long-term damage if it were left in it.  The paint is slightly sloppy on his lower-arm decorations.

Overall:  4.5 out of 5 (soft gun, not-too accurate hair)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

WA-7

Articulation:  Neck (ball - restricted), Shoulders (ball), Upper Torso (ball), Lower Torso (cut), Wheel (rotates).

Accessories:  Diner Base with wheel hold, tray with non-removable cups.

The Good:  The sculpt is nicely done.  The two main poses you can pull off is with both hands on hips, or with one hand in the air serving drinks.  There is nice detail with tiny scratches and dents, and the tray can easily be balanced in either hand, despite the peg hole (in the tray) and peg (in her hand) provided.  The base logo is very nicely done, and is indented as well as sharply painted.

The Bad:  There's not much action figure to her.  The body from the waist down is immoble, even at the 'knees' where she bent in the movie to place the drinks down.  The wheel does move, but doesn't spin freely.  A lot of detail could have been possible on the leg since there was no movement, but it seems slopily done.  Her head is on a ball-joint, but is restricted because there are cords coming from her ear area to a box on her back.  The paint application on her coloured parts are sloppy on the chest, but sharp everywhere else.  She can't stand on her own either, she needs her base to stand up, and even then, she falls over the first few times, and will fall again upon movement.  She does look good standing with her arm over her head serving though.  The tray's peghole and peg system of keeping it on her hand is very poor, but luckily the tray can be balanced easily.

Overall:  2.5 out of 5 (sloppy sculpt, paint, tray peg system, awkward standing)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

So there you have it!  Overall, a very nice wave to pick up, despite WA-7.  She'd probably be the peg-warmer of the bunch (if we had new figures up here!) but worth getting if you like minor characters for a regular retail price.
Visit my Gallery at www.basement24.com!

NITROG71

• <A+++ Trader>
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF Happy collecting
    • View Profile
Re:Emperor, Dannl, WA-7
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2003, 07:06:19 PM »

Wow, nice detailed description.  Thx. :)

seth_quinn

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2003, 07:12:09 PM »

now that's what I call a review.  thanks for the insight.  can't wait for the Outer Reaches to get these in.

Darth

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2003, 10:59:04 PM »

What did you pay for them?    8)

Barry

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Ottawa, ON
    • View Profile
    • Basement, #24
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2003, 10:40:02 AM »

I ended up paying $5.99 US each, and $4 shipping.  I asked them to put the value at $10 and mark it as a gift too, and I didn't get nailed with duty  ;D  Never hurts to ask!  So overall it was $29 and change.  That's about $9.60 a figure.  Hooray for Buy It Now!
Visit my Gallery at www.basement24.com!

Darron

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2003, 10:10:15 PM »

well you scored there ;D

trooper

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2003, 10:47:07 PM »

thank for details  :-*

Lord Wader

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2003, 01:25:38 AM »

Nice to hear a happy E-bay story. Right on Barry :-*

Darron

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2003, 10:00:31 PM »

they look o.k. but i would have to buy them at sale price

Kitchener

• <A++Trader> Dark
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Rock Bottom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2003, 04:40:34 PM »

I paid 15 each for mine ast teh show but got a free r2d2
First ever Survivor Champ!

Morgbug

• <A+++ Trader> Grumpy
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • grumpy and old
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2003, 02:25:14 PM »

Got mine in a case from Newforce.  Nice figs, but would have to agree with Barry's review for the most part.  

Seems I got a better paint job on my waitress droid so I'm happier with that.  I have yet to open and display it, so I may be back down with it.

Faytonni is fine for me too.  Hair is hard to sculpt, especially without the 70's flamboyance of the early figs ;D

Emperor is dissappointing.  Small lightning, HUGE hood (hello, x-acto knife shaving time) and the face looks sad, not menacing.  
what?  I'm cranky.

Bidderfett

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • I used to be a Wookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2003, 05:00:45 PM »

I got these 3 figures at K-mart in the states for 4.99 each, I wasn't even looking for star wars 'cause I heard K-mart doesn't carry them anymore, but I turned the corner and there they were! One of each, waiting for me!

I like the waitress the best, but she has a lot of trouble standing on her own.

Kitchener

• <A++Trader> Dark
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Rock Bottom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2003, 08:09:31 PM »

I picked these up at the OCT Toy Show.  They are great!
First ever Survivor Champ!

redeyekho

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • There's one........ ......set for stun
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2003, 08:47:48 PM »

Very good reviews :)

Killrover

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • I am not a llama! I am a human being...sorta...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2004, 02:44:54 AM »

the waitress needs a little sticky-tack (the blue stuff to tack up posters without tape) and she stands ok - put some on the tray and she holds onto it real well

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169100
  • Total Topics: 14343
  • Online Today: 75
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 38 queries.