Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2018, 07:14:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

68 Guests, 2 Users

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jedi vs Sith Battlepack  (Read 1999 times)

apu nahasapenipeth

Jedi vs Sith Battlepack
« on: August 08, 2005, 06:29:25 PM »

Picked this up today at Target for $24.99.  It includes 5 figures: Yoda, Anakin, Grievous, Asajj and Obi wan with snap on clone armour (like in the animated cartoon).

Asajj:  All I can say is isn't her 15 minutes of fame up yet?  For a character that was never in any the films, this is her third incarnation.  Kind of a hash between the previous 2 (clone wars and animated).  The face paint is more like that of the animated line version with the black around the eyes, but the body is similar to the clone wars line figure.  Nice paint job on the costume overall with similar robes to Luminara.  The figure sports lightsaber "holsters", but the blades can't be pulled from the sabers, so they're pretty much for decoration only although they have clips to fit in the holsters.  Articulation consists of both elbows, both shoulders (rotational and pin), waist and a ball jointed head.  No leg articulation at the hips knees or ankles.  Comes with 2 Dooku style lightsabers

Bottom line:  If you have the clone wars one it's not a big step up except for the more "accurate" face paint.

Score: 3/5

Yoda: Identical to the Saga version that came with the youngling.  Has a uni-leg and articulation at the wrists, elbows and shoulders as well as head.  If you have the saga version it's a waste to own this one as even the paint is identical.  Comes with his standard green lightsaber.

Bottom Line: A pure re-hash and helpful only for Hasbro's amortization of their tooling.

Score: 3/5 (not a bad fig, just a rehash)

Grievous: Identical to the Preview Grievous with slightly "dirtier" paint apps.  Articulation is the same also and he only has 2 arms as opposed to the standard line version with 4.  Due to the way he was positioned in the packaging, his right foot has undergone permanent deformation so he won't stand too well.  Comes with one lightsaber, blaster and cape (per the preview version).

Bottom Line:  As with Yoda a total re-hash.

Score 2/5 (the bent foot drops him a point and quite frankly the standard line version would have been better to re-hash)

Anakin: Well this is a new figure.  This Anakin has a sleeveless tunic and "rips" deco'd on to his legs as in the cartoon when he battles Asajj.  He has articulation at the knees, hips and waist as well as the standard ball jointed head.  His arms have that goofy action feature like the ROTS clone, when you move his right arm at the shoulder the left moves as well.  Otherwise both shoulders are ball and pin jointed as is his left elbow.  The right arm has a swivel point where the mechanical arm meets the forearm.  Overall good articulation and the paint is good except for one minor detail: his purple lipstick.  Yep, Anakin looks suspiciously transvestite like with that paint app.  Creeps me out a little.  He comes with a lightsaber only.

Bottom Line: Another Anakin but one we haven't seen before, I suppose he could be considered an EU fig since he only appeared like this in the cartoon.

Score: 3/5 (would have been 4 except for the lipstick ewwww).

Obi-Wan:  This fig is the reason most people will buy this set.  Obi-Wan is pretty standard and very similar to the #1 Obi-Wan from the regular line, BUT he comes with snap on armour to turn him into the animated clone wars version of General Obi-wan.  The armour consists of shin guards, fore-arm guards, shoulder pads and helmet.  Plus there is a flexible plastic cape that drops over his head with an attached front piece that gives the illusion of armour and a brown tunic.  He comes with the standard lightsaber and the lance as seen in the cartoon.  Articulation is pretty good; ankles (no knees because of the armour), swivel wrists and elbows and pin/swivel shoulders.  He also has a ball jointed head and waist articulation.  The helmet looks really nice and the armour snaps in well and stays on the figure by use of a pin into a hole on each arm and leg.  The paint is sharp and well done all around.  

Bottom Line: Easily the best figure in the group of 5.

Score: 5/5

Overall:  Not a bad set, not a good set.  I would rather have seen something more along the lines of the Imperial 4 pack or Hoth set for these figures; include Obi-Wan, Anakin, Asajj and a bike for Obi-Wan and charge $20 instead of $25 for it.  Chances are the average collector already has the Yoda and Grievous figures and some will have the lightly distributed clone wars version of Asajj as well.   I would say make your decision on this 5 pack based on how much you want the Obi-Wan figure as that's the highlight of the pack.

Had trouble finding any good pics of this, but there is one on galactichunter.com under their comic-con coverage.

Pics:

http://www.galactichunter.com/absoluteig/gallery.asp?action=viewimage&categoryid=3642&text=&imageid=16103&box=&shownew=

blink 182

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • something happend to me...I am not the jedi I was
    • View Profile
Re:Jedi vs Sith Battlepack
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 06:43:21 PM »

nice review
Your Buddy, Blink 182

boba_fett300

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Born To Hunt Toys
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 06:49:05 PM »

Thanks for your review, saved me some money. :)

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 07:20:27 PM »

Great review.
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

blink 182

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • something happend to me...I am not the jedi I was
    • View Profile
Re: Jedi vs Sith Battlepack
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 03:28:58 PM »

since this was just released in canada....what did others think about it?
Your Buddy, Blink 182

Quade

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 10:34:47 PM »

I liked it, at first...   I bought one in an american wal-mart 19.99, then another at toys r us in canada.  everything is basically the same.  the articulation sucks.  So does obi's armor.  it should not have been cheap flimsy plastic that attachs with a peg.   Once you get them in a cool pose it works, but if i was a kid, i know i would have lost his armor within the first couple of days.  Falls off way to easily.  Personally i like Asajj, i also read the comics tho, so i am biased in her favor.  I would prefer if she had the articulation of the clone wars version.  you can pop off her head and put the cloak on her. 

I am a carded collector, opening this was something very unusual for me.  For the price i paid, it is actually worth it.   I get some new figs, just wish they had better articulation.

baggins1977

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 02:19:06 PM »

i saw the battle pack with obi, mace, jango, maul and ani.  didnt like it at all.  just repacked figs or rehashed.  but it comes with a nice little platform thing.  well worth the money NOT.  the review was great and saved my self to even look at that package if i see it

Mr. Noob

• Empire
  • Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 06:34:07 PM »

I didnt waste my money on repacks. :shakehead:

Popeye

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
    • my facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 05:12:29 AM »

Mine are made of a softer plastic. Wish Hasbro was consistent with their toys and also didn't cheap on the multi packs.
Have for trade MOC:
Not MOC Battle areana: Anakin VS Dooku
Like New: Obi-Wan's red Jedi starfighter
LOTR Trilogy FOTR super posable Strider.

darth_keg

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 10:05:58 AM »

I got this as soon as it came out.  I was happy to see three NEW figs (asajj, anakin and obi wan).  I had no plans to open it so I'm not too concerned with the softer plastic.  Honestly though, if they hadn't scrimped on the quality of the plastic, the price would have been higher.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: Garhod
Stats
  • Total Posts: 170170
  • Total Topics: 14400
  • Online Today: 89
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 68
Total: 70

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 38 queries.