Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2020, 02:09:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

202 Guests, 2 Users

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Lucas "retiring"  (Read 11087 times)

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Lucas "retiring"
« on: January 18, 2012, 12:05:18 AM »

Rebelscum's homepage has a link to the NY Times article. Man! The guy really hates us! :)

Simon_Belmondo

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
Re: Lucas "retiring"
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 04:03:05 AM »

Well, I must agree with Georges Lucas on his decision. I have loved Star Wars for many years but I didn't like as much with the prequels. Amongst those reasons: I didn't like Jar-Jar, didn't like the Force definition beeing revisited, didn't like the fact that that characters from the prequels bumped into characters from the sequels that could've been left out for the sakes obviously that the galaxy is so big that the odds for these characters to bump into each other in these movies were almost non existing. And I even disliked the fact that Mr. Lucas revisited the Star Wars classic movies and did special modifications to them. These movies should've been entirely remade IMO, as the new technology and the more traditional way of making movies do not really harmonize well together onscreen. Still, I told myself why complain, and why buy more prequel stuff if I don't like really enjoy it as much. So I didn't invest too much on the dark side of the fandom, and instead decided to go back to other movies and books that I used to love, including some that I know directly inspired Georges Lucas to do the original trilogy: God Emperor Dune (where Lucas obviously inspired himself to make ROTJ's dune sea world and certain designs such as Jabba the Hutt), Western spaghetti movies such as the Man with no name saga: face it guys, Clint Eastwood is your typical Boba Fett guy, etc, etc.

I must admit that Lucas was a genius at managing to make movies that celebrate in a way the history of cinema, and the classic trilogy is a fine tribute that will always have a special place in my memories. But Lucas did warn us before making the new movies that the stories would be kind of mysterious, there would be many new characters that you wouldn't see again, and we wouldn't know exactly what was happening. I think Lucas remained true to his word. The only thing I can understand about the man is that he must be very proud of his work on the prequels. I even seriously came to believe that he doesn't hate Jar-Jar Binks like some of us do, which is fine by me. However he is still a movie director who is to movies what a painter is to his artwork. In realizing the negative critics of his movies, he ultimately did what a painter confronted by criticism would've done, perhaps the best move.

One thing I like about Lucas is that he has done a few non Star Wars movies that deserve their own respect. Perhaps, we'll see more of Lucas under a better light in the near future. I personally love the story of the heroic Tuskagee Airmen and I am perhaps even more excited to see this movie, 10 times more than the Star Wars prequel movies. I'm really thankful that Lucas was behind its production for I know that his passion for the WW dogfights was his original drive for making the Classic trilogy starfighter combat scenes, and I know that it will deliver what this movie needs. I also hope that it will be fruitful at the box office, bring some positivity to his career and to those involved, as well as get more people to become interested in learning about the story of the Tuskagee Airmen.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 04:07:52 AM by Simon_Belmondo »

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 08:51:32 AM »

I'm just ticked that he ends up trying to turn his critics into evil overlords! I mean in one breath he says it was his vision and he needed to stay true to it and fail on his own terms if need be. Then those that represent the voice of that sense of failure, his critics, his dissatisfied fans get turned into studio executives controlling his vision??? Sorry George, but that's hilarious. We didn't force you to change one frame. If you did that, you did it by choice, because you listened and cared what others thought. It literally is like he wants to be the hero here and everyone who doesn't like his work is the villain. He can't blame anyone but himself for his need for retirement. He made the films he wanted to make and they received the praise/criticism that they merited given what they were: a very powerful body of works that many adopted as their own. I don't mean we literally owned them but that they became so much a part of us that we felt a very personal stake in whether new stuff worked or not for us. If it didn't, it didn't get our praise. We can't "fake" liking stuff we don't like. For some the PT failed to be the same kind of SW they were in love with. Warning us it would be different doesn't make it better, it just means he warned us. I could have been pleasantly surprised. I wasn't and I wanted to be. Since then I for one have spent an inordinate amount of time speculating as to why that was and how things might have been different. As an audience member that's my right, he can't expect us to put up or shut up. I did put up and I didn't like it so now I deal with those emotions and ideas. I'm not raiding the Ranch and stealing the PT negatives (hard drives???) and destroying them. I'm just choosing NOT to buy PT stuff, not support it any further than I already have. And if we were supposed to just "let it go" when we find something we don't like, we might very well be stifling the next great director! Didn't Lucas get SW made by not letting go of his likes and dislikes, by thinking about where he was in history and the cinematic landscape and working with all these forces to produce what he did? It is sad he didn't get the praise he wanted, but by his own admission that was his failure to make on his own terms. No studio and certainly no fan caused it.

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 09:12:56 AM »

I am sure George regrets making that statement , you always regret negative things you say with time.

I assume we will be getting all 6 Star Wars movies made into 3D and then we will be getting new Star Wars movies made by a different Director.  Alot of people make money from Star Wars and they are not going to want the gravy train to stop with George retiring.  We are just seeing him pass the franchise over to new management. 

But if it does end with George, I'm OK with it.  Best of luck with the ART films.

:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 02:01:48 PM »

All that stuff about Lucas retiring aside, the article cemented my desire to go and see Red Tails in the theatre. Not only does it seem like a great movie, but I would love to hand my money over to help GL go out with a bang while sticking it to all the movie studios. I really hope the movie gets great reviews, because there's a lot of garbage being made these days by those studios.

Hellboy

• Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 04:49:03 PM »

I am curious about Red Tails but there is concern, with the story being based on reality and actual events and George's track record with plastic dialogue and lack of emotional projection in characters, that the whole thing could be one long, wretched theatrical endurance.

I honestly hope he pulls it off and receives great accolades.
Every true Star Wars fan is a Luke Skywalker, looking at his twisted, evil father, and somehow seeing good.

Trust me.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 05:47:40 PM »

NY Times review isn't stellar. But that's just one reviewer. It sounds like he went for a sort of real "harkening back" to an older style of filmmaking. As well as less than amazing SFX. And the reviewer is not convinced it works. Anyway, I'm still aiming to see it.

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 08:43:52 PM »

I guess it depends on what preconceptions you have going into a screening. We have become pretty spoiled with SFX over the past 10-15 years that we can't seem to see past it to the heart of a film anymore. For me, as long as a film has a good story, writing, acting, etc, then awesome SFX is the icing on the cake. On the flipside, a movie like Transformers 3 is like backing up a dump truck full of icing and shoving down your throat - with the same sickening results. That said, if Red Tails doesn't hold up in either department, then it is doomed to join the pile of mediocrity that Hollywood produces these days.

darthpaul

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 10:19:27 PM »

I am curious about Red Tails but there is concern, with the story being based on reality and actual events and George's track record with plastic dialogue and lack of emotional projection in characters, that the whole thing could be one long, wretched theatrical endurance.

I honestly hope he pulls it off and receives great accolades.
Me too.  He's going to get my money.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Execute Order 67!!! Bring in the space horses!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 10:58:35 PM »

The fact that I groaned when I heard the dialogue in the Red Tails trailer is enough for me to save my money (to be spent on Star Wars toys of course :) )   I do wish GL happiness in his retirement but I would prefer never to see him direct or write a film again.  I think he's just become too much of a businessman over the years and it has drained him of what could've been a really awe-inspiring directing career. 

He's basically Frank Miller now (for those who read comics and follow the industry, they've probably seen just how low this legendary figure has sunk in the last decade), and I hope for his sake, he kinda just lays low and stays quiet. You sort of know, as a fan, when a once-great has jumped the shark when all they do instead of producing great works, is complain and rant incessantly.  Gene Rodenberry went that route near the end, Frank Miller, and Lucas doesn't seem that far behind, so I hope he just relaxes and enjoys all the money he's made off his vision. He is a great businessman if nothing else, if not a great director, he should relish in that...  just don't blame critics and fans when the fault lies in oneself for the direction he chose to take.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 11:38:01 PM »

Yeah, I no longer have any doubts that the lack of the OOT in HD and the lack of any sort of promise that it would be available in all future formats stems from the same sentiment he expressed in his retirement interview: You guys don't deserve what you've loved and given me money for these past few decades! So there!

It causes me to lose respect for him and saddens me that he hasn't tried to just enjoy his success more rather than wrestling with it and with the results of that. Imagine a Lucas that praised the fans as his bread and butter? That told us how much he appreciated it all and that he understands how attached we are to those original versions? I just wish as a person and "artist" I could understand and respect his handling of criticism and fame. I don't and he only gave me more ammunition with this latest salvo.

darthpaul

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 12:32:21 AM »

I don't get the hate.  The man owes us nothing.  We owe him.

FETT1

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Whack the Zom-B!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 07:57:45 AM »

OWE HIM WHAT?????....  :~/~:

ADIOS GL

darthpaul

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 08:38:27 AM »

OWE HIM WHAT?????....  :~/~:

ADIOS GL
We consumed his product.  No one made us.  He made it.  We watched it.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 09:32:34 AM »

And then he rewards our loyalty with not giving us what we want? He knows that demand is out there, so it shows he thinks this is a one way street.

Anyway, the only argument I've ever heard that makes any sense at the end of the day is that he can't release them without paying his wife royalties so he has to keep them "in motion" changing etc.

Because his entire "my films, my vision" argument is weak. He could easily have it both ways.

I don't hate him btw, I just find him a confusing and frustrating individual that I have devoted lots of time, money and energy on and he honestly doesn't seem to respect that all that much. If he doesn't show us respect, how does he expect to have it in return. All people originally said by their criticism was "We liked it better before George" and he seems to have gotten offended by that and never really addressed it. He doesn't seem to have heard "we LOVED it GL!" but rather "We hate your new ideas you crazy old man, give us our childhood back!" and yeah that did get said, but not right away. Heck, even I thought the SEs were just a publicity stunt and didn't worry about them back in 1997. It was only after it became clear he was going to withhold the OOT that I got angry and confused. Didn't he get the message all these years? That we actually liked those versions? What doesn't he get about them not needing to be changed...unless it has to do with the legal battle with his wife...that I would understand.

The entire idea though that we owe him something? Beyond sure, a personal gratitude that he made Star Wars, we don't owe him anything because we have been paying him for it for a long time now. We're holding up our side of the equation just fine I think, or else he wouldn't have billions of dollars to his name.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 10:01:28 AM by sinkie »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 174015
  • Total Topics: 14416
  • Online Today: 231
  • Online Ever: 755
  • (January 23, 2020, 04:54:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 202
Total: 204

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 46 queries.