Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2020, 03:34:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

200 Guests, 2 Users

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Lucas "retiring"  (Read 11091 times)

darthpaul

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Lucas "retiring"
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 10:52:37 AM »

I'm not talking owing money either.  I am talking about the whine (and I am not saying you) out there about how "It wasn't done my way".  It's his baby.  I am not going to stand up and say he is the best actor's director of all time, but you have to respect what the man has accomplished.

We're the consumers.  Don't like it?  Don't consume.

And yeah, I would have loved to have read something in the article about George referring to the fans who have embraced it too - a little thank you wouldn't hurt.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 11:02:31 AM »

True that! But that's part of my point, ok, beyond the money part of the equation, which itself does read as "I love what you did!", so the love is expressed in one of the only ways open to a consumer, why doesn't he seem to have respect for the massive amount of time, energy and love we've shown his baby? Like you say, how often does he really talk about SW without focusing himself on the negative even if only by always reminding us they are his and he is free to do with them what he wants. Something just doesn't add up here for me. I think it comes down to a personal issue for him. He's sensitive or the kind of person that can't stand being told what to do but regardless it clouds his ability to really see the reality of what he's made. I don't think he fully gets the fan side of the equation since he was the maker of this and not the recipient. So he even often forgets that there are adoring mobs out there that obviously still love what he does and not just what he did. Either way, he's reached people and for that he should be thankful. He's received a massive amount of praise. I just feel the respect isn't always merited. I respect his hard work, his sticking to his guns (to a point) and all that. I just don't respect his perception of his fans and how he thinks we should all react. I still remember how baffled I was around the time the PT came out and he started getting more defensive about his practice and his vision. I was really puzzled, I thought, geez, you've already pretty much changed the cinematic landscape if not the world, so you don't hit bulls-eyes all the time, so what! Who could ask for more than what you've already accomplished! And it has just gotten worse over the years. I think both sides have fuelled each others anger and frustration honestly.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 11:07:55 AM by sinkie »

darthpaul

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 11:16:12 AM »

I'll concede several of your points sir   :u:.  Especially that a lot of it may come from the fact "his feeling are hurt".  He strikes me as a sensitive guy.

Like I said, it's the hate that gets me.  Like or do not like, but why hate?  Not trying to be a GL apologist or anything, but you can take it or leave it.  Like I did with SW figs when they jacked the price a few years ago.   :fight:

I think Clone Wars is a sign he hears fans.  It is very much Star Wars.  Filoni does a great job directing.  Lucas is mentoring Filoni and gives lots of input (apparently) but he has hand picked someone to do the leg work.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 11:23:04 AM »

Yeah, I've tried myself to move beyond hate over the years. But I still find it a disappointing situation. But I've learned to focus on what I don't find disappointing and hope that I'll get that in the latest greatest high definition format for all eternity! ;)

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 11:46:55 AM »

I am just glad that Star Wars is as vibrant as ever, both because of and in spite of George Lucas' continuing involvement in the franchise.

The same cannot be said about the Star Trek franchise,  my "other love".  :shakehead:

darthpaul

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 12:15:16 PM »

I think there is one thing we can always count on - rereleasing (be it movies or figures).  I am sure you'll get a HD format.  Sooner or later.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 12:57:18 PM »

Someone on rebelscum speculates that some of the statements in the NY Times article might have been used out of context. It is, the poster points out, George's habit of telling rather dry, sometimes exaggerated jokes during interviews (Jon Stewart's recent interview with him contained several actually) so perhaps some of his more negative statements were exaggerations, maybe he does feel hurt but that's not really why he's "retiring". Maybe he's just tired and a little bored and wants to do something else. And sure, maybe he doesn't really like the overall SW phenomenon nor big studios not supporting his films. That's legit.

darthpaul

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 01:36:34 PM »

Someone on rebelscum speculates that some of the statements in the NY Times article might have been used out of context. It is, the poster points out, George's habit of telling rather dry, sometimes exaggerated jokes during interviews (Jon Stewart's recent interview with him contained several actually) so perhaps some of his more negative statements were exaggerations, maybe he does feel hurt but that's not really why he's "retiring". Maybe he's just tired and a little bored and wants to do something else. And sure, maybe he doesn't really like the overall SW phenomenon nor big studios not supporting his films. That's legit.

Yeah - I was going to make that point earlier.  Journalists are part salespeople - they have to make the article as appealing as possible.  They often take words out of context - something I can attest to.

Dakotaice

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 03:45:52 PM »

I love these movies, even the prequels.  I don't owe him anything but a big thank you for making Star Wars.  He doesn't owe us anything, if he wants to change the movies he made, he can.  if you don't like the changes don't watch them. nobody is forcing you to watch them or buy anything related to Star wars. 

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 08:56:39 PM »

See I think that WAY oversimplifies it...even if it is the pragmatic approach.

I think the simple reason some feel animosity towards the changes to the OT (ok, the PT we should all get over, it ain't going anywhere, and you can still love the OT and ignore it mostly) is that it existed as it was for up to 20 years...depending on which film you start with.  After 20 years of fan dedication and love and money and praise he changes it. Fine. That's cool. And if it had been miraculously for the better we might all have nothing to say. But obviously it wasn't everyone's cup of tea.

Then he says, a bit later, own them for the last time (on this fading technology...VHS and Laserdisk). Why? After all that devotion, why would he do that? (there may be a good reason. I haven't heard one yet even if "my films, my vision" makes sense, it still isn't a good reason NOT to keep both versions going!)

It is his choice. Sure. But we can still react to that decision. He chooses NOT TO CARE about those fans. He isn't unaware of it. He's not some beyond human phenomenon like the wind or the tides that just does what they do blindly. He knew they were successful and had millions of followers before he started to tinker with them. And yet, even as the outcry began, he didn't seem moved by it. He continued on and on and on. I think it was one reason the PT received animosity rather than simply dismissal by those that didn't like it. It felt like another wound, even if it was totally unintentional.

That's where the negativity towards him comes from I think. It didn't just spring out of nothing. There is a shared history there and he seems only concerned with his side of the equation. And at this point (or even that point in 1997), he could easily have acknowledged, through using something called "empathy" (and heck maybe even focus groups!), to figure out what the actual pulse of the franchise was in the minds and hearts of the world. He didn't have to do that but the fact that he didn't will mean something to some people.

After years on boards like these, I truly think that if GL would just keep releasing the OOT in the latest format, about 80 % of the hatred and/or frustration would dry up. I know that I'm at that point. I just want the OOT on my HD TV. I watched the bluray ROTJ with my kids the other day and jeezus that Jabba's palace number is god awful, totally distracts you from what is going on with Oola. And the Sarlaac beak looks fake and is unnecessary (just looks like a Dune worm now) and that No from Vader. I was in the kitchen when it happened and it just sounded so "not there". There's a weird echo or reverb or something on it almost like it is supposed to be in his head! But it really is so unsubtle and unnecessary. Anyway, yeah, I bought the damn things thinking I could stomach the changes. And some I can but I would love to be able to access that experience I had at age 6, 9 and 12 in the theatre again in good quality audio and video. And to know the reason I am able to is because the guy I want to respect, respects me too!

Hellboy

• Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2012, 12:36:43 PM »

I look at it this way. Nobody has been able to duplicate any franchise with the same scale that he did. Every science fiction movie that comes along is gone in the blink of an eye. Star Wars continues onward and not just because of "the fans".

Yes, there are a lot of SW fans but this is because of his commitment to the franchise (and story) and his continued diligence to expand on what we've grown to love. I hate the prequels. Kids love them. Either way you look at it we still have Star Wars today because it has been an ongoing project of love for him.

We keep screaming, "We want more! We want more!" and bitch when he says, "Okay" and then doesn't deliver what we had hoped for.

Trust me. I'm pretty certian that if he ever decided to pull the plug on everything and just retire we'd all be caught in our metaphorical undies in a Hoth blizzard wishing for a new Star Wars fix. The man has money. He doesn't need to sell any licenses or create new shows to live off of what he already has for the next twenty years.

There are a lot more people making money off of Star Wars than George. They are the ones who need to be thankful of the fans and his continued interest.
Every true Star Wars fan is a Luke Skywalker, looking at his twisted, evil father, and somehow seeing good.

Trust me.

Simon_Belmondo

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2012, 03:30:38 PM »

Just something that I was thinking about when I woke up from my afternoon nap: how many people who have complained alot about the prequels, will go see The Phatom Menace 3D?

Hellboy

• Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2012, 03:35:44 PM »

Just something that I was thinking about when I woke up from my afternoon nap: how many people who have complained alot about the prequels, will go see The Phatom Menace 3D?

Not me... I can't even "force" myself to put the Blu-Ray in.  :)
Every true Star Wars fan is a Luke Skywalker, looking at his twisted, evil father, and somehow seeing good.

Trust me.

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2012, 07:50:43 PM »

Not me... I can't even "force" myself to put the Blu-Ray in.  :)
Same here. I just don't enjoy it enough to spend the time and money. If it was free, I'd probably check it out, but I certainly won't be paying the inflated 3D prices. I may go see Ep II, definitely Ep III, and the OT may even warrant multiple screenings. I'm thinking I'll check out those once in 3D and once in 2D, as I believe they'll be giving the 2D option as well. Having the OT in theatres again is loooong overdue.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2012, 08:45:24 PM »

I have put my money where my mouth is...and though I bought the saga blu ray it was almost entirely for the documentaries and in part because I got a great deal and figured the OT, even if specialized, in HD would be worth it, I no longer buy any PT-themed action figures or other paraphernalia.

I just had a father/son day with my, well, son obviously. And we had already decided a few days ago we'd watch a SW film (his sister isn't a huge fan so he only gets to watch them when she's not around to put her vote to something else).

Anyway, I gave him the choice of which of the 6 films. I want him to obviously have the right to like them if he wants. Maybe it was because he was too young for the theatrical release hype but he NEVER chooses any PT film. I know other parents have kids that like them but my son always chooses the OT...though quite often ROTJ but mostly because of the Rancor and the final duel..not just for the Ewoks anyway!

Today we watched ESB because he wanted to see the Wampa and to see Luke fall down the shaft on Cloud City!

Anyway, I was going to skip TPM in 3D but if he asks to go I may take him just to see if a theatrical screening does something for him. Otherwise, I'm not going.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 08:49:23 PM by sinkie »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 174016
  • Total Topics: 14416
  • Online Today: 231
  • Online Ever: 755
  • (January 23, 2020, 04:54:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 200
Total: 202

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 45 queries.