Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2020, 03:02:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

194 Guests, 1 User
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Lucas "retiring"  (Read 11088 times)

darthpaul

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Lucas "retiring"
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2012, 08:57:33 PM »

We'll be seeing it.  May have had to bribe my best friend of 36 years with popcorn to come too though.

Simon_Belmondo

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2012, 10:23:43 PM »

I won't go see EP.1 3-D mainly because I've seen it already when it first came out and it didn't do great enough for me, and I happen not to be a huge fan of 3D movies anyway. However I can understand if it can help draw many new fans to see their very first Star Wars movie to the big screen. On the positive side, we'll be seeing a lot of cool Episode 1 toys getting revisited so maybe that's a good thing for collectors who were screaming for more.

darthpaul

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2012, 09:21:15 AM »

I don't like 3D, but there are a few reasons I'll be going.

1 - To relive the experience of seeing these.
2 - To share it with my friends and family.
3 - It will be the first time my 5 year will see them in the theatre.  We've tried not to show him too much from the movies.
4 - I've got about a dozen movie passes.

Simon - I've got a pass for you too.  Just come on down to London.

Simon_Belmondo

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2012, 11:13:42 AM »

3 - It will be the first time my 5 year will see them in the theatre.  We've tried not to show him too much from the movies.

Simon - I've got a pass for you too.  Just come on down to London.

Hey thanks, that is really cool of you darthpaul, but unfortunately I see no point for my part in reliving an experience I couldn't enjoy as much, so again I kindly thank you anyway for the good intentions, but I personally would rather support GL by going to see Red Tails.

darthpaul

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2012, 11:22:29 AM »

3 - It will be the first time my 5 year will see them in the theatre.  We've tried not to show him too much from the movies.

Simon - I've got a pass for you too.  Just come on down to London.

Hey thanks, that is really cool of you darthpaul, but unfortunately I see no point for my part in reliving an experience I couldn't enjoy as much, so again I kindly thank you anyway for the good intentions, but I personally would rather support GL by going to see Red Tails.
Trying to get to Redtails myself.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Execute Order 67!!! Bring in the space horses!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2012, 03:12:50 PM »

Just something that I was thinking about when I woke up from my afternoon nap: how many people who have complained alot about the prequels, will go see The Phatom Menace 3D?

Not TPM3d, but I would go see the others in the saga (even though in some ways AotC felt worse than TPM, the clones at the end of the film really saved the whole movie for me, the rest of the flick however was mostly blechhhhhhh; well the tense meeting with Obi and Jango was also good). 

darthpaul

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2012, 03:19:43 PM »

Yeah - I agree.  AOTC is the weakest. 

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2012, 03:29:04 PM »

I will be at least TRYING to go see TPM 3D, for the following reasons:
1. It's still Star Wars
2. Never seen a 3D movie before, so I'll give it a whirl
3. I need any excuse I can lately to get out of the house!

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2012, 04:43:05 PM »

Oooooo! I like lists!

Reasons I would see it:

1. Someone pays me money to see it.
2. I hit my head before the release date and it changes me fundamentally.
3. One of my kids wants to go.
4. Get a free ticket and will bring a camera (see number 2 below).

Reasons I won't go:

1. For me it isn't Star Wars. Try as I might, every time I give it a shot I groan the whole way through. I think I'd rather do something less painful for me personally with my time and money.
2. I can't stomach the thought of actually putting on any part of Lil Orphan Ani's costume (the 3D glasses that look like his goggles!) but I'm hoping someone takes a picture of the audience with them all on (see number 4 above)!
3. 3D rarely adds much to the experience for me, at least not after the first 15 minutes or so.
4. So many other probably better first run movies to see...or I might go rent Moneyball again.

Simon_Belmondo

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2012, 10:53:10 PM »

I will be at least TRYING to go see TPM 3D, for the following reasons:
1. It's still Star Wars
2. Never seen a 3D movie before, so I'll give it a whirl
3. I need any excuse I can lately to get out of the house!

I just came out from another Jedi meditation (power nap) and this is what I think now of TPM3D:

1.I agree that it's still Star Wars, just not of the same caliber as the other ones
2.I think out of all three, TPM3D is the one that will look dramatically different compared to its original counterpart release, especially the Naboo pod race and the worlds/ battles on Naboo will look better (I'm now reconsidering darthpaul's offer  :) )
3. Sinkie, if you're going to go see the TPM3D with that same degree of enthusiasm, then you should go see GI joe 2: Retaliation, I heard that It's gonna Rock  :)

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2012, 06:58:05 PM »

Reasons I won't go:

1. For me it isn't Star Wars. Try as I might, every time I give it a shot I groan the whole way through. I think I'd rather do something less painful for me personally with my time and money.
While there are many reasons people may legitimately complain about TPM, to say that it isn't`t Star Wars is just not being honest with oneself, in my opinion.  The Podrace is very much in the flavour of scenes, such as the speeder bike chase, of the OT.  The Space battle at the end is a classic Star Wars battle, similar to Ep IV and VI, where an overwhelmed `good guy`force manages to beat the odds and destroy the space station/large ship with one well placed shot.  And the final battle with Darth Maul is one of the best scenes in all  of the movies, with lightsaber action that is unmatched apart from perhaps the Obi-Wan vs.Anakin duel in Ep III. 

In short, it is very much Star Wars, even if we had to put up with Jar jar Binks and a bad child actor...

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2012, 08:55:32 PM »

Sorry, but it is being COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY HONEST with myself. It just doesn't hold together as Star Wars for me, try as I might. And I have tried...too much and I had the merch to prove it which is thankfully 98 percent gone!

The pods may be trying to be like the speeders but what is at stake is just so flimsily constructed to try to make me care...but I don't. It isn't life and death enough, it is an aside, it is a stepping stone to adventure that never really gets all that adventurous.

The space battle is quite similarly underwhelming with the climax even being an "oopsy!" rather than something our hero does by believing in himself. I don't know, the "spinning" line just makes me feel like I'm watching Star Wars parody...bad parody. Anakin wasn't overwhelmed, he was goofing around.

As better critics than I have pointed out, all the dazzling choreography in the world ain't gonna save a hollow scene. It sure was pretty but that's about it. Give me the stakes of the Vader/Kenobi duel in ANH with its weakly choreographed battle any day. Watch Luke and Vader's ESB battle side by side the final TPM one and I pretty much guarantee you one will feel a heck of a lot deeper and authentic.

It is Star Wars 2.0 to me. It is new flavor Star Wars. It misses the mark. No dishonesty with myself whatsoever. I can't fake it.

If it is Star Wars to the newer audience, or even to some comprising the older one, well, then we've obviously each of us gotten different things out of originals.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 08:58:08 PM by sinkie »

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Execute Order 67!!! Bring in the space horses!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2012, 04:04:17 AM »

I think sinkie is pretty much on the nose here... TPM has all of the superficial trappings of the beloved OT as brianakrobin has pointed out, but virtually none of the emotion, the tension, the spirit of the original.  I can't imagine there's a single adult out there who saw the victory march at the end of Phantom Menace and felt an ounce of real  joy that the good guys had won.   How could anyone?  The villains, for the most part, were so insipidly dumb and weak compared to the Jedi that no matter what the odds were, it didn't really ever FEEL desperate for the good guys.  Hence there was no sense of genuine triumph in the liberation of Naboo.

As a viewer, you ultimately watch events unfold with dispassion, there's no one to invest yourself into emotionally, no one to identify with, and nothing worth rooting for.  Anakin, much like JarJar, succeeds purely due to dumb luck moreso than determination and skill.  The audience needs to know what the hero (Anakin) wants dearly, what he is prepared to do to get it, and if he will ever achieve it. A good director must make us root for him to get it. Anakin gets what he wants without any sort of real deliberate actions taken by him. He falls into the role of Jedi and chosen one. So in a sense, he is an undeserving hero... like someone who attains great wealth by inheriting it, rather than working hard to accumulate it himself.

Only RotS scored some emotional points and even then I would argue that in some respects I still felt that another director would've done a better job.  AotC has... the least believable romance in the history of big-budgeted movies (from stalker to her husband in the span of a few days, wow!).

The trailers for TPM and AotC probably do a better job at creating tension and emotional involvement for the audience than the actual films themselves. Why?  They leave out all of the terrible writing/dialogue/directing that undermine the better executed moments.  And we can fill in the holes for ourselves while watching the trailer and imagine a better movie than what the trailers ultimately are promoting.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2012, 08:40:38 AM »

Yeah, they have great trailers!

Strangely, the romance angle between Anakin and Padme is most effectively executed for me in the few places it shows up in the original Clone Wars cartoon (2D animation, not the current one). They captured something more believable in those handful of frames IMO. The difference between genuine emotion and conveyance than what GL managed in all the screen time he tried to shove it down our throats.

I'll add too that even the ROTS duel doesn't hold a candle to the ESB or any of the OT ones in terms of meaning and weight. They're all much prettier but ultimately feel constructed rather than believable.

Darth Chadus

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2012, 05:10:30 PM »

I agree with what everyone is saying, but for me what makes Star Wars Star Wars, is the all the different alien species, the different planets, and the jedi vs sith.  Thats a pretty simple view, but thats how I see it.  The Phantom Menace agreed, not the best movie but has all those elements, and  to me was highly entertaining.  I enjoy watching it.  I have been a Star Wars fan since the beginning, and you know I think alot of people take it way to seriously.  Dont get me wrong Star Wars is a huge part of my life.  Sure it doesn't measure up to the Star Wars that we knew and loved as kids, but it is still brings us back to that fantasy world, and entertains us.   Come on guys  you may disagree that the Maul/kenobi/Qui Gon fight didnt have the same sort of emotion that you remembered with Vader/Kenobi in a New Hope.  I'll give you that, but from a purely action packed visual dual, you cant argue that the Maul battle from that perspective  is more enjoyable to watch.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 174015
  • Total Topics: 14416
  • Online Today: 231
  • Online Ever: 755
  • (January 23, 2020, 04:54:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 194
Total: 195

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 45 queries.