Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 16, 2018, 10:41:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

14 Guests, 1 User
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: And the topic of the day is: Episode VII SPOILERS **NOW WITH EXTRA SPOILERS**  (Read 14725 times)

darthpaul

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile

Anyone else half covering their face & cringing when Rey & Finn took off in the Falcon & started bouncing it all over the place??? It felt like I was watching my unlicenced teenager take our car out for a spin without permission....

CAREFUL WITH MY FALCON, DAMMIT!!!!!  :mad0137: :rollfloorlaffsmiley: :rollfloorlaffsmiley: :rollfloorlaffsmiley:

Oh, and that "first appearance" might have gotten the biggest cheer from the crowd I was with in the theatre - awesome moment.  :character0005:

Yea I did. And I thought it was Rey piloting as it crashed through the snow too when I saw it in the trailers.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile

Watched a few trailers with my kids this morning (since Daddy is the only one in the family who has seen it so far...) and noticed a few shots not in the film. Probably some were "test shots" or ended up cut out (like Rey jumping on her speeder from the first trailer and zipping into the gate) as well as the lightsaber hand-off. Very obviously Rey in that shot now but definitely did not happen in the film. Plus those shots we saw of unmasked
Kylo with the snow troopers in the snow not seen in the actual film. All pretty normal but was disappointed we did not get more "snow battle"...like the FO snow speeder toy is seen only in the bg in a shot or two.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Begun, the Tariff Wars have!
    • View Profile

Did anybody else in the opening scene with Von Sydow meeting Kylo think oh no! This is Kanen and Ezra!!! I did for a moment then when they didn't reveal names I quickly abandoned it.

There'd been a rumor that some connection to REBELS would happen in TFA, so I think some were guessing that Max Von Sydow would be an older Kanan (and oh boy, if he had been, getting beheaded like that would've made watching Rebels kinda depressing...)

The handoff scene in TFA obviously differs from the trailer. Me thinks many things got refilmed or cut for whatever reason.  Oddly enough I was looking forward to seeing Constable Zuvio since he got both a 4" and 6" figure... and yet he was totally dropped from the film!  Hilarious.

I'm kinda shocked so few people are talking about Han's death. I didn't mind him dying, as I personally predicted he'd get killed in eps8, but it was the non-heroic way that he died, doing the old cliche "Let me help you steer away from your evil path... because I love you..." which pretty much always results in the poor person getting killed. 

I mean, it'd be a lousy movie if the villain simply accepts the appeal, renounces his ways and goes off with his family again, so you KNOW Kylo/Ben was going to kill Han.  So when it happens, it's not really a shock.  This moment was one of the key things that left me downtrodden after the film... not unlike Kirk's death in Generations... it felt surprisingly WEAK for one of the most iconic heroes in film history... to get skewered and then have the body fall into the void.  I wanted at least a heroic sacrifice that Ford had hinted at for RotJ e.g. dying to save Leia.

But then not just that, John Williams' music is so amazingly lacklustre (another reason why I walked out feeling like it wasn't really a true SW film, the music has always roused me to feel whatever emotion was needed, and this time the music was barely audible/noticeable for some reason). Han's death should've been the best musical piece in the soundtrack, moving me to man-tears... but instead... nothing.  Han is killed. Modest outrage and generic-feeling musical accompaniment. Onto the next scene.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 12:39:36 PM by napseeker »

Goldenrod

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile

Was Coruscant Destroyed by the Starkiller? None of the people I have talked about that know for sure.

I was happy to see that this movie was build like the other 6 movies:
- After the crawl, a pan down on a ship;
- wipes (not enough tough);
- Always a shot of a First Order Ship or Starkiller base before seeing the bad guys;
- A bad feeling line
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 02:28:07 PM by Goldenrod »

Frankie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile

Was Coruscant Destroyed by the Starkiller? None of the people I have talked about that know for sure.

No it was not Coruscant. Starkiller base destroyed the Hosnian system, the elected republic capital. Apparently the Senate and capital move in the new republic, and so it was in that system at the time.

Additionally I would like to add my review. Very simply, I loved it. It is everything I wanted and more.
CC1138

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile

No it was not Coruscant. Starkiller base destroyed the Hosnian system, the elected republic capital. Apparently the Senate and capital move in the new republic, and so it was in that system at the time.

Really? Where did you see this? I mean, did they told that in the movie or is that part of some novels or other materials released for the movie? I honestly didn't see this planet being Coruscant at first, but my brother with whom I saw that movie twice was really under the impression that Coruscant was just blown away. That since it was a scene that followed General Hux Allocation of war to his "Nazi" First Order troops where he said the First Order would destroy the Republic and the Senate, that they just blew up Coruscant.

Anyway, really not sure. For if it was Coruscant, I would have liked to see the same scenery as what we saw in AOTC and ROTS, with the huge lighted up City Planet instead these being blown away at a distance...

Additionally I would like to add my review. Very simply, I loved it. It is everything I wanted and more.

Glad you liked it as well! It's everything I hoped for, same thing here! My only concern was that we didn't saw Kylo Ren light up his lightsaber like we saw in the first trailer. LOL Minor thing, right? It tells how much I was thrilled by this movie! :D
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile

Okay, just read this on Wookieepedia:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hosnian_Prime

Maybe it would have been a good thing to have this explained somehow in the movie...  ???
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

Darth McAdam

• Administrator
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
    • Rebelscum

I think it may have been mentioned in Aftermath. I also thought it was Coruscant to begin with, but then read a few things on Twitter as well as being told by a friend that it was Hosnian Prime. My feeling is that since casual fans wouldn't be all that familiar with Coruscant, it wouldn't be necessary to clarify which planet it was, and simply the presence of the Republic motif (if I recall correctly) on the various senators' clothing, would indicate that it was the seat of the Republic.
http://www.rebelscum.com/ - Star Wars Collecting

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • Hungry for some new TVC!
    • View Profile

Yeah, to me it was pretty easy to understand they had destroyed the seat of government - I don't recall having much time to worry about which planets they had destroyed exactly.

KaleDayspring

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Since I loved the movie, it was hard for me to go to a Christmas party last night and listen to all the nit-picking. Here are some of the highlights and my thoughts from the conversation:

1. Mary Sue. If you don't know what that means, it's the idea that a female character is absolutely perfect. I heard this and saw it on Twitter. Rey is not perfect. She's idealistic, she refused to accept her fate. She gave into anger. Yes she is a great character, but she has some flaws. Too many people were - Oh she's too perfect. Fixes the Falcon, pilots, shoot perfect, doesn't have training in the force and can defeat a sith. But what if she is the balance. We see how when she gives into the force, she is quite powerful. This leads to...

2. How does Rey beat Kylo? Um, he's shot, he's bleeding. He is not in balance with the Force. The light pulls to him, the opposite of his grandfather where the dark pulled at him. I like the idea that giving ones self to the Force gives you strength.

3. How come the bottom of the Falcon wasn't all destroyed with all the banging it took. Ummm deflector shields.

4. Phasma was lame. Actually yes she was. Too much hype, not much else. Saw two 6 inchers on the shelf today. Guessing people are returning them.

5. Han's death was lame. OK, I can't disagree more. Kylo asked his dad for help and Han agree. So Kylo kills him. Ultimate betrayal. Patricide. I think those two would great help for Kylo to finally put out the light.

6. BB8 is lame. Actually BB8 is what Jar Jar SHOULD have been. He was funny, moved the movie along, had his cute moments and those moments of action. That's BB8, not Jar Jar. Had they played Jar Jar like that, maybe he would not be the most... Oh who am I kidding, he sucked. Jar Jar, not BB8

7. Who was Max Von Sydow - Lor San Tekka. His name showed up for me the first time in the Jakku Spy part of the Star Wars App. They refer to him as an old smuggler or something (App keeps crashing). Thought it was a nice way to start the movie, lots of questions from his and Ren's dialogue.

Things I loved:

1. The characters. All of them. They were fresh and the old characters even had some new aspects to them.
2. The dialogue. I didn't find a moment where I felt like yelling- STFU like I did in Ep. 3 Anakin - His fate will be the same as our. No inflection, no tone. Dead.
3. The homages. Yes I know there are lots of homages in the movie. The Death Star, the trench, the shooting. But you know what, I loved them. They made me feel a connection was there, like looking at a photograph of your kids and seeing yourself in one when you were their age.
4. Maz. Who didn't want to hug her. She had a total gramma vibe that you just liked.

And last, quick questions:
1. Did Rey cut off Kylo's hand?
2. Will we find out that Snoke is smaller that Yoda?
3. 3P0's arm - there was supposed to be a comic released before the movie to explain this, but I haven't seen it.
4. We see Leia feel Han's death in the movie. Will we see her wielding a saber in 8 or 9?

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile

I'm kinda shocked so few people are talking about Han's death. I didn't mind him dying, as I personally predicted he'd get killed in eps8, but it was the non-heroic way that he died, doing the old cliche "Let me help you steer away from your evil path... because I love you..." which pretty much always results in the poor person getting killed. 

I mean, it'd be a lousy movie if the villain simply accepts the appeal, renounces his ways and goes off with his family again, so you KNOW Kylo/Ben was going to kill Han.  So when it happens, it's not really a shock.  This moment was one of the key things that left me downtrodden after the film... not unlike Kirk's death in Generations... it felt surprisingly WEAK for one of the most iconic heroes in film history... to get skewered and then have the body fall into the void.  I wanted at least a heroic sacrifice that Ford had hinted at for RotJ e.g. dying to save Leia.

But then not just that, John Williams' music is so amazingly lacklustre (another reason why I walked out feeling like it wasn't really a true SW film, the music has always roused me to feel whatever emotion was needed, and this time the music was barely audible/noticeable for some reason). Han's death should've been the best musical piece in the soundtrack, moving me to man-tears... but instead... nothing.  Han is killed. Modest outrage and generic-feeling musical accompaniment. Onto the next scene.

It really is amazing how it seems the majority of people seem to like the death scene.   I and napseeker seem to be the only people who came out of the movie feeling the same way.    This is my March 2015 quote from another thread:

"My New Hope wishes for the next star wars films is that Han Solo dies.   Harrison and Carrie take the MF save the Rebel Forces from being totally eliminated by the Empire in some kind of self sacrifice heroic move - no happy ending for them.   

Luke becomes the new Old man Ben and is in the next 3 movies and then he becomes a Jedi Ghost.   

Hasbro makes some amazing new toys."

Now that I reread my wishes for the force awakens my reaction makes sense.  I am happy about seeing Luke at the end looking like Old Man Ben.   At this point the only thing that would make me like the next 3 movies as a whole is if Han did not really die
and is saved by Lando.  And then Han Solo gets the death scene that he deserves.
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile

I think Rey knowing how to pilot and wield a lightsaber might have to do with a yet to be revealed detail that perhaps Luke gave her knowledge directly using the Force to both pass on his own knowledge but also to help keep her safe. There was an awful lot of using the Force on minds in this film and that might have been intentional to set this up. If I am right, it probably has its limitations and she only knows so much.

ambasah

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile

I am shocked anyone thought bb8 was less than fantastic. He was perfect in my opinion.

I also get why some did not like the "meaninglessness" of han's death but I actually think it made it even more tragic than a "saving someone else" end. What was missing was a proper recognition of his loss from chewie and leia. A real shame and probably my biggest gripe about the movie.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile

Yeah not sure if it was here or elsewhere but I can't help feel they toned down Leia's (and everyone's) reaction to Han's death to keep it "low intensity" enough to not freak out the parents of 5 and unders who were part of the target audience! JJ would have milked that to the max if left to his own devices. Obviously, he had his hands tied somewhat.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • Hungry for some new TVC!
    • View Profile

Leia's reaction was different than I was expecting too - but I was trying to read into her facial expression as she hugged Rey.... did she know her & was she comforted by her presence? Even more evidence Rey's a Skywalker.

And honestly, I'm lukewarm about Rey being a Skywalker overall. That, to me, seems like the easier path, similar to making Han & Luke brother & sister to mitigate any tension from the love triangle. I'm sure she is, but it would almost be more interesting if she wasn't.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 171910
  • Total Topics: 14472
  • Online Today: 22
  • Online Ever: 536
  • (October 31, 2018, 08:32:38 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 14
Total: 15

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 45 queries.