Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2018, 10:07:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

7 Guests, 3 Users

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: an update from TRU USA  (Read 3375 times)

cash_fan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Tell that to Kanjiklub
    • View Profile
Re: an update from TRU USA
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2018, 02:32:52 PM »

It's tough.  I grew up in the 80's and my favorite store was Kay Bee toys.  I can still remember going in there around 1987-89 when I was about 10 and still looking through the ROTJ figures.  I can still hear my mother saying "They still make those things?".  Kay Bee had everything I wanted: video games, baseball cards, and Star Wars stuff.  That store made my trips to the mall, with my mother, to walk through Sears and JC Penny almost bearable. 

But the Kay Bee model was killed off.  TRU, Walmart, & Target all squeezed the market share from them.  And on top of that, the mall scene in the US was dying off.  A lot of the smaller malls, in smaller towns, that KB thrived in aren't even malls anymore. 

Video games has never been a profitable item for toy stores.  There is no mark up on consoles and on average they make $2-$5 per game.  That's a lot of capital that you have to put out there for new releases, only to get a ROI of $5 per $50-$60 you invest/spend.  I know the margins are higher on accessories (or warranties), but you have to sell a lot of accessories to keep the cash flow coming in.   

Even though TRU is about to close nearly half of their stores in the US, the toy market shouldn't shrink too much.  For baby toys it will stay the same but here is the biggest question mark.  Kids in the 5-12 year range have shifted from toys to electronic devices, phones.  How do you sell toys to that demographic when they are glued to a screen? 

I don't know what's going to happen but I still think that something will pop up to fill the void that TRU will leave.  Somewhere someone my age with billions of dollars is still romanticizing about KB Toys and will try to re-create that magic.  And the thing is, my interests haven't changed much since the 80's.  When I go in a store I still look for video games, baseball cards, and Star Wars stuff. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 02:38:55 PM by cash_fan »
Cash fan, as in Johnny Cash

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • Hungry for some new TVC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2018, 02:50:59 PM »

They tried that.  The "Express" locations.  They were closed as a cost cutting measure.

They failed as "along withs", do you think it would change things if they were "instead ofs"? Curious to hear more of your thoughts on this whole situation (not just store size), FF.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2018, 07:37:26 PM »

I think online shopping has contributed the most. People amazon everything because the prices are cheaper & you can get free shipping on just about everything if you shop well. They spend their brick & mortar money on warehousing, not retail space which I'm sure is a much more affordable model factoring in property taxes.
I also think this is a big part. They also don't have nearly the same employee cost, as you don't have to pay a bunch of cashiers and such, just people to box up and ship the stuff from the warehouse.
The other issues play a role, too - quality, as CJ points out, and the dawn of smart phones and tablets, have been other major players.
I don't know where things go from here. Maybe this Haslab-style thing is the way of the future and toy companies sell direct to consumers after guaranteeing some certain number of pre-sells.

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2018, 09:30:22 PM »

Based on watching Amazon's tactics over the last few years.  I highly suggest you purchase your goods when possible from the Retail Chains through price matching policies etc. .  Amazon is not your friend in the long run.  I often see them drop a price but the only reason is they have seen Walmart or TRU drop a price and they have matched it. As soon as the prices rises at the retail store - Amazon jacks their price back up. In recent shipments I can see that Amazon is caring less about the product going to the box or how they ship it.   Support your local stores if you want the magic of the 80's to continue.   
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2018, 10:50:11 PM »

Agreed on buying from other stores when you can. I purchase books from indigo/chapters online over amazon. Usually the price is about the same but at least there's a brick and mortar location I can go to to return or talk to someone if need be.

Amazon is fast becoming the only place to buy blu-rays at a decent price. Best buy and future shop were good options but it seems amazon has pushed them away from physical media (along with other forces but that's a different story) but soon there will be noone else left and amazon will have a defacto monopoly on physical media. I've noticed for me amazon used to have a lot more deals on blu-rays compared to the last year or 2. Less competition means they will offer less deals.

As for TRU I wonder how the Canadian stores do compared to the US. Anecdotally they always seem busy when I'm in there during evening or weekend hours.

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2018, 11:08:45 PM »

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • Hungry for some new TVC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2018, 12:51:33 AM »

RIP, TRU.  :(

Mandalore1988

• Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2018, 12:03:31 PM »

RIP, TRU.  :(

I think TRU Canada will be next. What's 83 stores compared to the 698 in the US? The stock never changes and the prices are always too high.

:fett:

DarthDerek

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2018, 01:16:27 PM »

Well it looks like Walmart has the vintage collection figures exclusive again in Canada. I mean where else can you go brick and mortar wise?
No more Zellers, no Sears (yes they had stuff), no Target, no ToysRus.
We do still have chapters,superstore,Canadiantire,ebgames but these are hit and miss stores. Only Christmas rush, do these stores stock Star Wars.

skywalker1973

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2018, 02:32:58 PM »

Ugh.  Might want to decline the 12 month protection plan from now on.

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2018, 06:04:38 PM »

Well it looks like Walmart has the vintage collection figures exclusive again in Canada. I mean where else can you go brick and mortar wise?
No more Zellers, no Sears (yes they had stuff), no Target, no ToysRus.
We do still have chapters,superstore,Canadiantire,ebgames but these are hit and miss stores. Only Christmas rush, do these stores stock Star Wars.

Good point. But there's also hobby shops. Some will be getting these en masse. I wouldn't be so worried. At any rate, even their prices will be cheaper than that of TRU...
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

Darth Woo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2018, 12:19:20 PM »

All the hobby shops near me are like an hour away. The only close one is inconveniently located downtown and is expensive. My friend who owns a comic shop 10 minutes away is not willing to buy any 3.75 SW figures anymore unless you commit to buy a case cause Hasbro's case assortment is crappy and leaves him stuck with stuff that will not sell. So I'd be sad to see TRU go.  Also, they seem to be the store bringing in all the Target Marvel Legends 2 packs so I'll miss those too.

DarthVader77

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2018, 09:39:25 AM »

Here's an article suggesting Toys R Us Canada could be spun off or transferred (or just plain sold): http://business.financialpost.com/news/retail-marketing/spun-off-sold-or-transferred-toys-r-us-canada-faces-an-uncertain-future

bob

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2018, 10:51:50 AM »

ya never know i guess, but realistically id think if the U.S goes down were not far behind. plus i dont know what this ****s talking about. the store were i live doesnt look like a warehouse. doesnt matter much. they are doomed.

EDITED: T word ***'d out in case kidlets are reading. - jj

sorry about that! :/ ha
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 06:18:46 AM by bob »

skywalker1973

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2018, 10:28:45 PM »

All I know is that if they're going out of business it's not on account of me. The amount of stuff I've bought there over the years, oy. I did my part.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 171593
  • Total Topics: 14451
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 7
Total: 10

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 44 queries.