Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2018, 06:14:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

8 Guests, 1 User

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The SDCC 2018 Star Wars thread  (Read 823 times)

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
Re: The SDCC 2018 Star Wars thread
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2018, 07:21:37 PM »

They said in the panel that the archive 6" rerelases will use the photorealistic pint. So the x-wing luke will be an upgrade from the earlier one. Not sure about the 3.75" rerelases though.

Darth Woo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2018, 07:38:52 PM »

Photo realistic coming to 3.75" VC ones in 2019.

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2018, 07:51:56 PM »

Yes but will they use it on rerelases?

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Begun, the Tariff Wars have!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2018, 05:08:44 AM »

Yes but will they use it on rerelases?

Apparently the answer is no.

Some great pics of the 3.75" scale figures and the new playsets (display sets) here:

https://www.facebook.com/jeditemplearchives/photos/a.10157157650052437.1073742034.135697147436/10157157650482437/?type=3&theater

The Kessel display is $30US, Walmart exclusive (so we'll probably never see it here)
The Vandor display is $40US, Target exclusive (so maybe EB Games in Canada?)

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2018, 08:59:21 AM »

Definitely some positives at SDCC. Some nice figures and some nice rereleases. I generally like how things are going, though there are still some glaring omissions for me.

In looking at the whole list i see not a single OT new figure was shown for vintage. Or did I miss anything? DS gunner is an upgrade, same with the stormtrooper. Even Yakface and klaatu are upgrades. All phenomenal figures but still just upgrades.

I was hoping after all the criticism of character selection for the first year of vintage return they'd at least do something original for vintage OT fans.

And still no indication of finishing the modernization of the vintage line. No sim aloo or others.

And worse nobody seems to have noticed. 😕

Other holes in most peoples' collections not addressed by hasbro or brought up in the q&a include 6" han carbonite block, 6" x-wing luke on a vintage card back (they could do a non foil one to keep the exclusive special), vintage 3.75" chewie and r2 on Star Wars card backs.

It seems my collecting priorities no longer align with the masses.

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2018, 10:06:04 AM »

As always, not much material for 3.75". Hasbro really tries to force their 6" line down our throat and, based on what I can see in the retail stores with masses of this stuff hanging the pegs and clearance sales that cannot make things move out the stores, I wonder why the heck Hasbro has not decided to pull the plug on this awful line yet...

Anyways...

For TVC 3.75", was nice to see this list showing some of the figures from the waves:

Wave 1 (Jan 2019):
VC132 Saelt-Marae (YakFace)
VC133 Scarif Stormtrooper
VC134 TBA
VC135 Klaatu (Skiff Guard)

Haslab issue (Feb 2019)
VEHICLE Jabba's Sail Barge
VC000 Yak face

Wave 2 (April 219)
VC138 Elite Praetorian Guard
VC139 Lando Calrissian (Solo)
VC140 Imperial Stormtrooper (Rogue One)
VCXXX TBA
VCXXX TBA

Retailer exclusive (May)
VCXXX TBA
VCXXX TBA
VCXXX TBA
VCXXX TBA
VCXXX TBA

Convention exclusives
VCXXX TBA
VCXXX TBA
VCXXX TBA

Wave 3 (July 2019)
VCXXX Death Star Gunner
VCXXX Darth Revan
VCXXX TBA
VCXXX TBA
VCXXX TBA

What I'm really pissed off is the TVC retailer exclusive wave in May 2019 with 5 unannounced figures. Most likely a walmart or Target exclusive wave. Damn it, it'll be very difficult to find in Canada. Another good move to kill the line...

VC134 is most likely repacked Leia Boushh from the Black Series line.

Darth Revan seems to be a mere repaint from the 30th Anniversary Collection line. Don't mind. I mean, I'll get one just to keep MOC, but don't give a damn about Revan. Simply don't understand why he's taking the place of a real new figure or character. At least Hasbro didn't put any resources to resculpt this lame character. I much prefer to see new or resculpted characters from the movies. A nice 3.75" Jawa or Gonk droid before Revan please.

As far as other stuff...

Playsets? Cardboard stuff? No way I'm getting these. I mean, I built myself a nice cardboard Carbon Freezing Chamber playset, there's no way I'm paying Hasbro for that kinda stuff. If I need a Vandor-1 Conveyex Train, I can built it myself...

Okay, no new OT figure announced (meaning no resculpts or upgrades). A little disappointing, of course, but wasn't expecting much from Hasbro anyway. I'm still dreaming about new Jabba's Skiff Guards other than the two that are slated for Jan.2019. I'm hoping for more, but honestly not holding my breath. We'll see...

By the way, here are the Official Press Photos from Rebelscum:

http://rebelscum.com/2018-San-Diego-Comic-Con/2018-san-diego-comic-con-hasbro-star-wars-panel-reveal-images/

For those who want to see those awful playsets in all their cardboard glory...  :shakehead:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 10:09:20 AM by JediPatrick »
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • Hungry for some new TVC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2018, 11:52:04 AM »

I won't purchase the cardboard sets but they DO make me reminisce about my cardboard ATAT & Sandcrawler sets a bit. We enjoyed those as kids, maybe some kids will enjoy these.

DS Gunner is an easy sale for me, as are updated 6" Luke, Bossk & IG88 (all very expensive on the secondary market, it's like they asked me which figures I'd want updated/rereleased & actually listened).

jmac

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2018, 09:38:57 PM »

Not sure what to think about the cardboard playsets. I don't know what I would do with them or where I would put them. For the price, I would worry about even buying them for a kid. Unless a child is very careful, these would be smashed in short order. I'm not even sure if today's child would find them appealing anyway. Some collectors with lots of room might like them for the nostalgia factor though, so this could be nice for them. I do kind of want the Han without the jacket, so if that set ever goes on a blow out sale I might get it for the figure if they are even available here.

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2018, 10:41:35 PM »

I'm not opposed to cardboard playsets but the prices on those is a bit nuts. $40US?? I can find a few images online and use a color printer and some glue and be just as happy.

In a way I'm okay with there not being much exciting to buy because everything is so expensive now. If they were pumping out 60+ figures per year like they used to I wouldn't be able to afford it. Now I'm buying waaaay less but still spending lots of money.

Thanks for posting the checklist jedi Patrick.  Saw it on the panel video but hadn't had a good look at it. The number of exclusives is disconcerting. I just hold out hope that the majority of them will be ones I don't want. That's a pretty sad state to be hoping for reveals I DON'T want.
As it is, of the 8 figures on that list I will likely only be getting 3 of them. Probably 2 of each (opener and moc) and BOOM there's $120, unless I can get them on sale.

Other than the barge, not a lot for 3.75 OT fans to be excited about, despite the return of vintage.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 10:43:39 PM by Darth Cujo »

old man ben

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • "Born to Collect!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2018, 07:24:53 PM »

I like the idea of these playsets.  They could be a diorama-type set up to display your figures.  But at $40 to $50 each for pieces of cardboard...I will wait and see.  Do they come with any figures?  I guess there are some plastic pieces to augment the scene and provide some stability.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 07:02:58 PM by old man ben »

Mandalore1988

• Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2018, 08:10:12 PM »

I like the idea of these playsets.  They could be a diagram a type set up to display your figures.  But at $40 to $50 each for pieces of cardboard...I will wait and see.  Do they come with any figures?

The Kessel set is exclusive to Walmart and comes with the Han that's already available in the Falcon. The Vandor-1 set is exclusive to Target and comes with a new version of Chewbacca (with goggles) to go along with Vandor-1 Han in the DVD 4 pack.

:fett:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 171560
  • Total Topics: 14450
  • Online Today: 30
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 8
Total: 9

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 45 queries.