Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2018, 02:06:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

7 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom 6" Vintage-style Slipcovers  (Read 952 times)

dangerlinto

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Custom 6" Vintage-style Slipcovers
« on: August 04, 2018, 11:32:27 AM »

Hello all,

So let me start off by saying, yes, I know there is a place on eBay selling custom vintage style-slipcovers.  There are several problems I have with them:

• They charge $17 US (plus shipping and import charges!) PER COVER.  That's ridiculous.  That's nearly the price of a brand new figure!
  • The slipcovers are designed to colour co-ordinate with the insert also that comes with it. This looks really cool (gawd I'm sick of the red), but in order to put the insert in you have to open the box. PASS
  • Some of the older choices were done when it was not known what kind of logo for the movie would be used on a vintage-style card. So for example many Force Awakens and Rogue One figures are using made-up logos in the style of Attack of the Clones.  Of course Rebels doesn't have used logo yet so we're both guessing there.

So, I decided to make make own.  I've re-imagined them a bit as being a six-inch "Vintage Collection". 

Here is where I'm at:

Here are some of the "rules" i'm following:
  • I'm only doing the "red series" boxes right now, not the original black series (with the orange/blue imperial wall stripe in the back).  I like the way those look and they have much less real-estate to redesign on the front anyway.  That being said I will post the figures from that series on the back of the boxes.
  • The back will show figures from only the "trilogy" of movies - Groupings will be Original, Prequel, Sequel, Standalone (Rogue One/Solo) and Non-thearical (Clone Wars, Rebels, Legends).  This is because there are well over 100 figures in regular releases and exclusives which came in standard packaging and believe it or not, the back of a 6" box has LESS real-estate than the back of a carded 3.75" figure and the pics would have to be almost 50% of the size that they are on the back of a POTF-92 back card - in other words, waaaay too small.
  • I guess it goes without saying but I'm looking for components/elements of existing Vintage-style cards to include on the box.  For example, the back is a mash up of the new vintage collection backs (which have just six pics) and the old (which housed many more).

So other things you might be interested in:

• Yes, I will be doing one for every figure from Finn up to newer ones.  Even for boxes I don't have
  • Yes, I will be making them available.  I don't know how yet.  Let's just say it won't cost you the cost of brand new figures.  Maybe I'll just let people download them for free, we'll see.
  • Yes, I have super-hi res of this on my computer. Nearly all the elements on the page are done in vector drawings, with the obvious differences being the picture on the front, the figure on the back, and actually the border swatch/gradient was too difficult to reproduce without being a scan, so it's a bitmap as well.
  • Unwrapped, the box is 9" x 14".  This is unfortunate because with dimensions like that it means the smallest sheet of paper it can be printed on is ledger (11x17) and most home printers won't do that size.  I'm looking to print on light cardstock or high gloss paper - I'll try both and see what happens 

So, the main reason I posted is I'm looking for suggestions on some of the empty space, especially the red side (which is ridiculously boring in the current boxes) and on the back beneath the list of figures.

Feedback is of course appreciated

EDIT - here is a list of all that I've done.  I'll keep this up to date here

--- RED SERIES ---

4-LOM
Admiral Piett
Ahsoka Tano
AT-AT Driver
Baze Malbus
C-3PO
C-3PO (Resistance Base)
Captain Cassian Andor (Eadu)
Captain Phasma
Captain Phasma (Quicksilver Baton)
Captain Poe Dameron
Chewbacca
Chewbacca
Chirrut Îmwe
Clone Captain Rex
Clone Commander Gree
Clone Commander Wolffe
Constable Zuvio
Darth Revan
Darth Vader
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
Death Star Trooper
Director Krennic
DJ (Canto Bight)
Elite Praetoriean Guard
Elite Praetoriean Guard (With Heavy Blade)
Finn
Finn (FN-2817)
Finn Imperial Disguise
First Order Flametrooper
First Order Snowtrooper
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order Stormtrooper Executioner
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
Gamorrean Guard (side 1)
Gamorrean Guard (side 2)
General Hux
General Leia Organa
General Veers
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Grand Moff Tarkin
Guavian Enforcer
Han Solo
Han Solo (Solo)
Han Solo Bespin
Hera Syndulla
Imperial AC-ACT Driver
Imperial Death Trooper
Imperial Hovertank Pilot
Imperial Royal Guard
Imperial Shock Trooper
Inferno Squad Agent
Jaina Solo
Jango Fett
Jawa
K-2SO
Kanan Jarrus
Kylo Ren
Kylo Ren (Scarred)
Kylo Ren Unmasked
Lando Calrissian
Lando Calrissian(solo)
Luke Skywalker
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master)
Maz Kanata
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Force Spirit)
Poe Dameron
Princess Leia (Bespin Escape)
Princess Leia Organa
Qi'ra (Corellia)
Qui-Gon Jinn
Range Trooper
Rebel Fleet Trooper
Resistance Tech Rose
Resistance Trooper
Rey & BB8
Rey Island Journey
Rey Jedi Training
Sabine Wren
Scarif Stormtrooper
Scarif Stormtrooper Squad Leader
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha)
Snowtrooper
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper Mimban
SupremeLeader Snoke
Tobias Beckett
Tusken Raider
X-wing Pilot Asty
Zuckuss

--- ORANGE AND BLUE SERIES ---
Anakin Skywalker
Boba Fett
Boba Fett Prototype
Bossk
Chewbacca
Clone Commander Cody
Clone Trooper Captain
Clone Trooper Sergeant
Clonetrooper
Darth Maul
Darth Vader
Emperor Palpatine
Greedo
Han Solo
Han Solo (Stormtrooper Disguise)
IG-88
Luke Skywalker (Bespin Fatigues)
Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight)
Luke Skywalker (Stormtrooper Disguise)
Luke Skywalker (X-wing Pilot)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (blue)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (orange)
Princess Leia Organa (Boushh)
Princess Leia Slave Outfit
R2-D2
Sandtrooper
Sandtrooper (Corporal)
Stormtrooper
TIE Pilot
Yoda

--- DELUXE SERIES ---
Admiral Ackbar & First Order Officer (Side 1)
Admiral Ackbar & First Order Officer (Side 2)
Han Solo & Tauntaun (Side 1)
Han Solo & Tauntaun (Side 2)
Jyn Erso (Eadu) (Side 1)
Jyn Erso (Eadu) (Side 2)
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base) (Side 1)
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base) (Side 2)
Luke Skywalker and Wampa (Side 1)
Luke Skywalker and Wampa (Side 2)
Poe Dameron & First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper (Side 1)
Poe Dameron & First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper (Side 2)
Rey (Starkiller Base) (Side 1)
Rey (Starkiller Base) (Side 2)
Speeder Bike and Biker Scout (Side 1)
Speeder Bike and Biker Scout (Side 2)
Stormtrooper (with Blast Accessories) (Side 1)
Stormtrooper (with Blast Accessories) (Side 2)
Supreme Leader Snoke (Throne Room) (Side 1)
Supreme Leader Snoke (Throne Room) (Side 2)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 04:16:27 PM by dangerlinto »

DarthDerek

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Custom 6" Vintage-style Slipcovers
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 11:41:08 AM »

No feedback from me yet, but it's looking awesome so far Dangerlinto.  :)`

Imperial_AMGmobile

• Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 11:50:49 AM »

Looks awesome so far. Definitely interested.

Would a pic of the action figure itself on the side of the box be possible? Would look awesome with all of the boxes lined up and seeing the pics of the figures. If not maybe just the name of the character in larger sideways font or something so u can ID the fig from afar by just looking at the side of the box.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 11:56:27 AM by Imperial_AMGmobile »

dangerlinto

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 12:35:34 PM »

Looks awesome so far. Definitely interested.

Would a pic of the action figure itself on the side of the box be possible? Would look awesome with all of the boxes lined up and seeing the pics of the figures. If not maybe just the name of the character in larger sideways font or something so u can ID the fig from afar by just looking at the side of the box.

Not for many of them - the pics I can normally get can't be much larger than 3-4 inches tall (which might be fine) but often have accessories and/or poses that would make them not fix on the box well.

Good suggestion though.  The name *will* be under the number on the red side, but that font is a pain - it costs $40 and I was only able to replicate the digits (0-9) so far.

Yes we need the sideways name on the sides somewhere.  I will add them soon.

Imperial_AMGmobile

• Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 12:40:46 PM »

Cool. Love the back of the box btw. Looks amazing

jmac

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 01:52:44 PM »

I don't really collect 6 inch, but I have to say, this is amazing. Very well done!

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 08:33:08 PM »

Oh man this looks great. I was just recently looking at those slip covers on ebay and man $17US each is pretty extreme. I would love to outfit some of my OT black series figures that I have kept boxed into some of these.

I very much appreciate when fellow collectors with talent make these kinds of things available at a nominal cost. Like Frank Diorio's diorama materials. I don't mind paying a fee but it is hard to justify when the slip cover is basically the cost of an actual figure.

I look forward to seeing your progress. I'll think on it and if I have any suggestions I'll be happy to pass them on. Though things look to be going beautifully as they are. Good stuff!!!!

KaleDayspring

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 02:52:34 AM »

A couple ideas for the sides:
1. The character's name in Aurebesh

2. A 3/4 Moon of the affiliation of the Character (Rebel symbol, imperial symbol, the Phoenix for SW Rebels, Republic, Mando symbol, Resistance, First Order) Imagine the circular bases for the Hot Wheels ships, imposed over the bottom left corner. It would form a wedge but look cool.

I threw this together as a quick idea in paint

3. A lightsaber that references their place in the Lore (Yoda for prequel, Luke for Saga, Kylo for sequels, Mace for Legend)

dangerlinto

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 03:06:20 PM »

So an update...

I've decided the red side of the box is dumb, and needs to be removed for two very good reasons.  First, when the box/slipcover is wrapped, the transition from red to black might not line up perfectly (just as an actual box is not perfect in this regard, and so removing it means that imperfection will be hidden.  secondly, making it black made it much more vintage-like and let me do vintage-like things.

So an update - you'll notice I've used a 2nd generation box - who's window is smaller and has more real-estate and I've added grey separation lines just to show where the box folds would be:

So the one side of the box has the figure name stylized with the border and the other side has the movie logo (as all Vintage-style boxes do) and the name in the typeface of the movie type itself.

On the back you'll see I've added the text from the back of the actual box.  I think I should be able to get for each figure.    (Astute people will notice something I missed on the first version above)  :)

« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 03:08:05 PM by dangerlinto »

Imperial_AMGmobile

• Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 03:58:31 PM »

Wow this looks amazing. Great work!

I like the 2nd generation to allow for more real estate for the picture but would it be possible to have the bottom left corner window opened a little further along the border to show more of the figure?

This is a million time improvement over the actual boxes.

dangerlinto

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 04:24:37 PM »

I like the 2nd generation to allow for more real estate for the picture but would it be possible to have the bottom left corner window opened a little further along the border to show more of the figure?

I think you're missing something.  The "2nd Generation" is actually because the releases from Baze Malbus and Chirrut Imwe on, the boxes actually changed.   So every figure from then on has this configuration.  I can't open it up or you'd just see the original box underneath. 

Imperial_AMGmobile

• Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 02:08:53 PM »

Oh ok gotcha, showing the box underneath is obviously not good. I must have misread that when I skimmed your long post lol. Regardless it’s looking awesome.

It may be too early for this but have you enquired about sourcing a printing company to see what cost would be per box? Let me know if there’s anything you need help wth in this regard. Be happy to help.

dangerlinto

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 04:10:47 PM »

Oh ok gotcha, showing the box underneath is obviously not good. I must have misread that when I skimmed your long post lol. Regardless it’s looking awesome.

It may be too early for this but have you enquired about sourcing a printing company to see what cost would be per box? Let me know if there’s anything you need help wth in this regard. Be happy to help.

Well they are just slipcovers, so I'm thinking high-gloss paper.  I was thinking card stock but I'm not sure how well that will work with edges, since they'd all be white.  I'd have to take a black sharpie to all exposed edges if I go with card stock.

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 10:45:58 AM »

Very nice work.

dangerlinto

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 08:33:55 PM »

I don't know how how into customs some of you all are, but there is nothing, nothing like the feeling when everything is working out EXACTLY as you want:

Those are the 3 test prints I got back.  Glossy black, thick stock and gorgeous lines.  All that's left is to cut them and make sure they wrap nicely around (they might need a little extra length but if so that's no big deal) and then get the fold lines printed on the sheet to make it easier. 

And then do the remaining 50 or so I have left to do.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 08:36:16 PM by dangerlinto »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 171753
  • Total Topics: 14461
  • Online Today: 22
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 7
Total: 7

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 45 queries.