Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2019, 10:23:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

26 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Mandalorian  (Read 4993 times)

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
Re: The Mandalorian
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2019, 02:25:27 PM »

First two episodes have been a lot of fun. I love the action sequences and the nice slow moments mixed in. Pacing has been quite nice in my opinion.

And agreed I love seeing so many familiar aliens. I don't mind new species peppered in, it probably should be a mix, but having classic star wars aliens is awesome to see.

From a story and character perspective I find it interesting that the mandalorian is initially painted as the "best in the parsec" yet he keeps messing up and needing assistance. Whether it's from notyoda baby or nick Nolte.
And what's with all these other bounty hunters also going after notyodababy? I suppose more than one bounty hunter could be going after it but dillon from predator made it out like the guild divvied up the bounties. So why are other hunters going after it? And I'm curious to see what he does with the little one.

Oh yeah, the one thing I find as a real let down is how damn short the episodes are. I was expecting episodes to be in the one hour range. Like game of thrones. I thought the first episode was short and then the second one was 10 minutes shorter.  :confused0024: It's only 8 episodes, which initially disappointed me but I thought well at least that 7 or 8 hours of content. But no. We'll barely get 4 hours at this rate. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to be getting quality SW and I wouldn't want them to pad the episodes. But I don't think 8 50 to 60 minute episodes is exactly a tall order. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 04:46:42 PM by Darth Cujo »

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • Hungry for some new TVC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2019, 06:47:35 PM »

Funny, it reminded me of Super Star Wars for the SNES! :D

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2019, 07:10:54 PM »

...and the only reason you never see OT aliens in the SW sequel films is because JJ Abrams gets merchandising/toy royalties for any new alien designs that Bad Robot created for the films, so he has far more per$onal interest in using his designs than any of George Lucas's aliens. 
Is that really true? That's really bizarre. And would be an incredibly lame reason to avoid classic aliens.

I honestly never thought we'd see the day where you'd get an action-adventure sequence involving a Jawa Sandcrawler.  If anyone remembers the original Marvel comics run where Han, Leia and Boba Fett are all involved in a big action sequence aboard a runaway Sandcrawler, this totally reminded me of that.
Ah yes, Jawas of Doom. Issue 81. Great cover to that issue as well.  I also thought of that when watching this episode.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Execute Order 67!!! Bring in the space horses!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2019, 02:37:11 PM »

...and the only reason you never see OT aliens in the SW sequel films is because JJ Abrams gets merchandising/toy royalties for any new alien designs that Bad Robot created for the films, so he has far more per$onal interest in using his designs than any of George Lucas's aliens. 

Is that really true? That's really bizarre. And would be an incredibly lame reason to avoid classic aliens.

We're talking about a company (Bad Robot) that had JJ go to CBS back when JJ had the Star Trek franchise under his control, and "request" that CBS stop issuing all classic Trek merchandise (TOS era up to ENT) so that Bad Robot would be the sole provider of Trek merch. CBS told him to leave the premises and go fornicate himself - in much more vulgar language. (edit: if CBS had heeded this request, they literally would've been walking away from $30 million per year in royalty money for themselves. Did JJ really think they would just agree to that?  Just so Bad Robot could get all of the royalty money for themselves?)

His company is all about MONEY, MONEY, MONEY.  Especially money that comes from the merchandising royalties. If they can't make money from it, you're not going to see it appear in any of the productions under their control (Star Trek, Star Wars...). 

The rumor that Disney has to still pay Lucas royalties if they use any of his classic OT designs, may be why Galaxy's Edge, which originally was to have way more OT characters, scenery, etc. was stripped of classic era stuff and you mostly get sequel era junk.  Iger claimed that when he saw the dailies for TFA, it convinced him that the sequel era would take off in popularity, and supposedly that's why he ordered anything OT to be taken out, but you can also infer that if there was also an unspoken cost to paying royalties to Lucas in perpetuity for any OT elements in Galaxy's Edge, then Iger was just looking for an excuse to dump all that OT stuff.   No royalties = lower costs to run Galaxy's Edge = bigger profits for Disney = higher share price = fatter, richer stock options for Iger.

If you apply "greed" as the explanation for some of the inexplicable decisions that Disney and Bad Robot has made in the handling of Star Wars, a lot of things start to make sense.  Only now when that short-sightedness has cost them money rather than make them money, are they desperate to win back angry fans and give us the OT nods we've been waiting for (See: The Mandalorian)

That said, if those leaks about TROS are true, holy smokes is there going to be some fan backlash...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 02:49:51 PM by napseeker »

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2019, 11:49:57 PM »

From a story and character perspective I find it interesting that the mandalorian is initially painted as the "best in the parsec" yet he keeps messing up and needing assistance. Whether it's from notyoda baby or nick Nolte.

I realized this as well. It seems like he's not always as "badass" as his Mandalorian reputation makes him out to be. It's that projection of cool competence that likely gets him farther than he otherwise would get. It almost seems like he's still learning the trade in some ways. In the Mandalorian enclave scene, it almost seems like he is like a Mandalorian "Padawan" a bit - like a foundling still in some ways that has not yet graduated to full warrior status. Thus why his signet has not been revealed yet. It actually makes him more interesting to me.

And what's with all these other bounty hunters also going after notyodababy? I suppose more than one bounty hunter could be going after it but dillon from predator made it out like the guild divvied up the bounties. So why are other hunters going after it? And I'm curious to see what he does with the little one.

I figure there's likely other factions trying to get their hands on Yoda-baby. Some want him dead (whoever hired IG-11), and some others may want him alive. Some may be other Imperial factions, some maybe criminal organizations, and maybe even a "good" group out there that is trying to rescue the little guy (I have a feeling Cara Dune will play into that somehow, and he'll join up with her to try and get baby Yoda back to his people, while fighting off all manner of pursuers).

And I completely agree about the episode length. Aside from having to wait a week between episodes, it's my only complaint so far.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2019, 09:20:45 AM »

I think Fett fans are going to be losing their minds over episode 3......

:fett: :fett: :fett: :fett: :fett: :fett: :fett: :fett: :fett: :fett: :fett: :fett: :fett: :fett: :fett: :fett: :fett:

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2019, 10:58:55 AM »

Hopefully folks are still watching....

EpIV was a bit of a letdown, but V was better. The acting of the some of the supporting cast leaves a bit to be desired (Gina Corano was terrible, this younger guy in V not much better) but I'm still really enjoying it. Bit of a teasy cliffhanger to end V - anyone got guesses as to who that might have been?

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Execute Order 67!!! Bring in the space horses!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2019, 04:32:54 PM »

Hopefully Boba Fett - which was why I thought they used Tattooine as the backdrop for the story since Fett would've been hiding out there while recovering from his injuries (and uhm, hoping his reputation recovers from that whole embarassing girlie-scream into a female-anatomy creature situation...)   I would not believe that a TV series about Mandalorians won't at some point, have our titular hero face off against the most classic Mandalorian of all time. 

Obviously the duel would be left for a season finale and end on a cliffhanger to get the fans eager for a follow-up season...

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2019, 02:11:21 AM »

I don't think it's Fett. Jon Favreau has said that Fett is not in the season at all, and I have no reason to not believe him. Also, it's too obvious - they're trying to make us think it's him just for fun. My thought is most likely that Moff Gideon character, though could easily be someone else as I'm not sure why he'd be there. Maybe even Apollo Chubbs.

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2019, 10:28:44 AM »

I think it will be giancarlo esposito's character. That my guess.

As for the acting in the series it's funny I was actually just thinking I have been pleasantly surprised. I find its been better than I expected. With actors like Carl weathers and cara dune lady known for their action movie roles I wasnt expecting much. I was expecting Hawaii 5-0 level guest acting and I'd say we're getting better than that. Not a high bar mind you but certainly not cringe worthy or distracting.

Anyway another good episode and I'm looking forward to next week.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2019, 05:09:16 PM »

Gustavo Fring is a very good guess. I'll move that to "most likely" on my list of possibilities. :)

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2019, 10:05:45 AM »

My guess is Giancarlo as well. He is supposed to be in the series and we are running out of episodes.

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2019, 05:45:25 PM »

My guess is Giancarlo as well. He is supposed to be in the series and we are running out of episodes.
Running out of episodes is right. I'm gonna miss this series when it goes on hiatus.

I wonder when to expect the new clone wars episodes. I haven't heard an eta on those.

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2019, 10:43:16 PM »

I wonder when to expect the new clone wars episodes. I haven't heard an eta on those.

Supposed to be February, so not too long to wait once The Mandalorian is done.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 174401
  • Total Topics: 14566
  • Online Today: 238
  • Online Ever: 536
  • (October 31, 2018, 08:32:38 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 26
Total: 26

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 44 queries.