Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2018, 02:28:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

6 Guests, 2 Users
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Ebay, China, and Canada Post  (Read 1047 times)

Imperial_AMGmobile

• Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
Re: Ebay, China, and Canada Post
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2018, 09:50:53 PM »

Quick update: my seller in Singapore went to another post office and was able to mail the parcel out no problem.

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2018, 06:56:35 PM »

This year (and for 2 years in a row) I will have no raise at all. I work in a private company. Before that, been working in a private company as well for the past 15 years. And before that, another 5 years, again in a private firm. Annual raises were about 1-2% every year. At most. And that's when we had them. Because in harsh times, there are no raise. Private companies will often postpone raises and even ask employees to take a unpaid week off.

Yes, top managers makes astronomical salaries. In private companies and public corporations alike. Is it outrageous? Yes. Can I do something about it? No. The market is made that way, governments don't do anything to stop this nonsense where a boss makes 10 times the average salary of his workers.

I understand the need to do strikes to try to help negotiate deals. That's basically the only power left for the unionized workers. However, I think it's not really working nowadays. It was before, now it's a public relation marketing scheme more than anything. And sadly, it often turns out that governments will protect these companies rather then the workers. In the end, who loose? Employees who are forced to go back to work at the same conditions then those they asked upgraded. They loose face after having lost public support (usually, like I said, public and unionized conditions are way above most of what employees have in the private sector... WAY more. I don't have job security, I never have and never will. Ever. Except in the public sector, the concept of "job security" is fantasy). The losers are certainly not the corporations. They got what they wanted: government involvement to stop the masquerade...

I don't want to start a political debate, but I think Unions in general need to review their strategies. And maybe people should consider leaving their jobs and go work elsewhere. If work conditions and fringe benefits are that bad, and if there are real safety concerns, I would really quit and look for another job. Really. No job is worth loosing one's health. I've seen many people loose their health for their job and they end up having a nightmare of a retirement. Canada Post is not the End of the World, it's not the promised land, there are many other places people could be working. If conditions are that bad, then workers should leave. It would send a very strong message...
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

Darth Woo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2018, 07:23:54 PM »

I don't want to start a political debate, but I think Unions in general need to review their strategies. And maybe people should consider leaving their jobs and go work elsewhere. If work conditions and fringe benefits are that bad, and if there are real safety concerns, I would really quit and look for another job. Really. No job is worth loosing one's health. I've seen many people loose their health for their job and they end up having a nightmare of a retirement. Canada Post is not the End of the World, it's not the promised land, there are many other places people could be working. If conditions are that bad, then workers should leave. It would send a very strong message...

Except people in unions know they have job security and know they have it good.  For me personally, when I hire new people, if they come from a public sector unionized job, they would have to be really good for me to hire them because I have my own bias against unions.  I know many people who work in unions and most tell me that there are those working there that absolutely hate the union and those that love it.

I have a friend from Canadapost who was actually the mail carrier that delivered to my work place so when I had packages, he'd call me up and I'd meet him so he didn't have to give it to the receptionist across the street (yeah, our mail goes to head office which is across the street).  He loved the job security the union provided, but one day he told me he lost his route and wasn't going to be delivering to my company area  because someone with higher seniority wanted it.  That was the part of the union that he hated.  My wife is kinda in that position at her work place.  People tend to get desirable positions due to seniority vs merit which is another annoying thing about unions.

I guess that's all I should say, this is after all a Star Wars collecting forum...haha.

ambasah

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2018, 08:46:00 AM »

I have 100% support for unions and those that strive for better/more. There is a reason employers hate them and do everything in their power to not let them form (cough Walmart, McDonalds etc.).

"race to the bottom" is a term I've heard before.

Instead of begrudging those that want pensions (gasp!) and raises that at least keep up with inflation, why not demand more?

I don't work for Canada Post and my comments are not directed at anyone. Just my point of view based on discussion I have had with friends / co-workers on this very subject.

It took a long time, but the Canada Post union actually took the Federal government to court and WON the last time around. Also look at what firefighters and cops (both unionized) have been able to achieve for their members.

Unions are not perfect but I would rather be working in a place that had one.

Goldenrod

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2018, 04:02:35 PM »

I have a friend from Canadapost who was actually the mail carrier that delivered to my work place so when I had packages, he'd call me up and I'd meet him so he didn't have to give it to the receptionist across the street (yeah, our mail goes to head office which is across the street).  He loved the job security the union provided, but one day he told me he lost his route and wasn't going to be delivering to my company area  because someone with higher seniority wanted it.  That was the part of the union that he hated.  My wife is kinda in that position at her work place.  People tend to get desirable positions due to seniority vs merit which is another annoying thing about unions.

I guess that's all I should say, this is after all a Star Wars collecting forum...haha.
''Losing'' a route that way happens when the corps decide to do a volume count and reconstruct all the route from scratch. Then once everything is done, usually 6 months later, all routes are up for grab and we choose by seniority. Believe me, I like seing seniors leaving my office and always tell those that have more seniroty than me that my route is ugly. Even if my route is a mall (well today it was ugly with everyone shopping and driving and parking like retards)

Back on topic. I was told that customs are overwhelmed with parcels that comes from China, and that the backlog starts there. They are full of trailers waiting to be inspected before being cleared to be released to Canada Post and start the delivery process
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 04:33:00 PM by Goldenrod »

bob

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2018, 04:21:04 AM »

im assuming they are always overhwhelmed with parcels that come from China? i think i heard that here not long ago and figured that before anyway. with the rotating strikes im sure it will add a little more time.

in my area we use to have a regular person delivering mail. it changes all the time now and has so for quite awhile. someone with seniority should get a better route then newer people. i don think anything is wrong with that. its called paying your dues and if things change often switch around with other co-workers to make it more fair or something. not sure it works that way but it would be nice a bit too.

Goldenrod

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2018, 07:36:47 AM »

im assuming they are always overhwhelmed with parcels that come from China? i think i heard that here not long ago and figured that before anyway. with the rotating strikes im sure it will add a little more time.

in my area we use to have a regular person delivering mail. it changes all the time now and has so for quite awhile. someone with seniority should get a better route then newer people. i don think anything is wrong with that. its called paying your dues and if things change often switch around with other co-workers to make it more fair or something. not sure it works that way but it would be nice a bit too.
Some routes are very ugly and when the postman who does that route leaves for vacations, injury, no relief worker wants to do it, so it must be offered day to day to temporary employee or on overtime

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • Hungry for some new TVC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2018, 09:08:05 AM »

Thank you guys for keeping the side discussion civil.  :)`

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2018, 08:51:32 PM »

Thanks to these strikes at Canada Post, a package that was shipped on Nov. 28th will take more than 15 days to get from Toronto to Montreal, thus ruining the gift I wanted to send to a dear friend.

Moreover, a package that was shipped from China almost 3 months ago never reached me, a first in 10 years. It's probably "lost" in bins filled with undelivered packages.

And I have 2 other packages coming from the USA that will now never make it in time for XMas. These were gifts for my daughters. Thanks for ruining that for me again.

It's more than time we get a private postal service. Amazon, Walmart, please develop your own mailing services! It's now time to act. Never been so pissed off. And I'm sure many others are as well...  >:(
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

Ookk

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2018, 10:12:13 PM »

Thanks to these strikes at Canada Post, a package that was shipped on Nov. 28th will take more than 15 days to get from Toronto to Montreal, thus ruining the gift I wanted to send to a dear friend.

Moreover, a package that was shipped from China almost 3 months ago never reached me, a first in 10 years. It's probably "lost" in bins filled with undelivered packages.

And I have 2 other packages coming from the USA that will now never make it in time for XMas. These were gifts for my daughters. Thanks for ruining that for me again.

It's more than time we get a private postal service. Amazon, Walmart, please develop your own mailing services! It's now time to act. Never been so pissed off. And I'm sure many others are as well...  >:(

Dude... sorry to hear that, it sucks.  But if it makes you feel better, I could show you - if I could figure out how to post pictures here - the state of my 'fragile, handle with care' box shipped from Entertainment Earth with my two Han/Leia exclusives. IanToronto can attest that it looks like someone elbow-dropped the box several times before taking a shovel to it. 

IanToronto

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2018, 10:19:53 PM »

It was a though the canopy of Echo Base had collapsed on Han and Leia...twice. It was something nightmares are made of....oh the horror!

Darth Woo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2018, 11:39:04 PM »

That sucks. 

By the way, Amazon has it's own shipping service.  That's how the last few things I bought were shipped by them.  It's hit and miss whether it'll be Canada Post or their own service though.  I am pissed though as I bought an Xbox One for my daughter on Black Friday sales.  It arrived in 2 days (I'm not even a Prime member) but I there was someone home all day long and they delivery guy never bothered to knock on the door or ring the doorbell.  He just left it on the doorstep and uploaded a picture to the Amazon account as proof he delivered it and even had a survey asking how I felt about the picture.  Needless to say, they didn't get a glowing recommendation.  They practically left the Xbox one on my doorstep without even checking to see if anyone was home.  Luckily I was checking online my order status and saw the picture and quickly went out to get it.

For Walmart, I have it shipped to the store.  They send it on their Walmart truck.  Takes a lot longer, but I don't have to use Canada post at least and I know it won't be left on my doorstep.

KaleDayspring

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2018, 10:29:22 AM »

Walmart switched to Loomis and it has been a nightmare. My order, which used to be shipped as one package, came as 6 different shipments. With Canada Post, I use my Box number. Loomis requires physical address. So they needed my physical address and called
Every!
Single!
Load!

And they still ended up screwing things up. One package went to my company address in Saskatoon and one was delivered to Swift Current, 5 hours away from where I live. I'm still waiting for that to be resolved.

Being in a rural area, CP at least is a lot more reliable.

Darth Woo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2018, 01:08:06 PM »

That I didn't know cause all my latest purchases were via shipping to store cause I didn't hit the $50 mark for free shipping to  home.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Begun, the Tariff Wars have!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2018, 10:21:57 PM »

The postal strike has cost me 4 TVC rebel tantive troopers.

The chinese ebay seller had them in stock, then after waiting for Canada Post to accept overseas mail again, probably decided that he wasn't going to bother with the hassle and wrote me a faux apologetic message saying "oh sorry, it turns out we were out of stock of this item" (which was BS since his earlier message to me clearly indicated he had tried to ship them before realizing that Canada Post was backlogged).

So now all I get is my money back and no reasonably-priced SA rebel troopers in my stockings this XMas. Grrrrrwarararghghghghgh.  The new guy taking over Hasbro's SW line better repack some Tantive dudes in a future wave of TVC (and add in some friggin' holsters while you're at it)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2025
  • Latest: rep
Stats
  • Total Posts: 172064
  • Total Topics: 14478
  • Online Today: 21
  • Online Ever: 536
  • (October 31, 2018, 08:32:38 AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 6
Total: 8

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 46 queries.