Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2019, 06:06:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

23 Guests, 1 User

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GameStop's future not looking good in US - Wonder what's in store for EB Games..  (Read 872 times)

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • Hungry for some new TVC!
    • View Profile

dangerlinto

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile

Just when EB Games was doing so well for us up here.....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/01/29/gamestop-shares-plunge-after-it-called-off-search-buyer/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.3bb776731afb

Yeah I read that.  I love EBGames.  It's easily my favourite retail store to get figures at. The ones near me always have great staff, are happy to help and since they don't buy 400 cases per store of wave 1 of a product line, you actually see new stuff there.

If TRU and GameStop go down in the USA, the only silver lining will be if the exclusives are more limited or they move more of them online for SW.

Late 2020 is going to be a year of reckoning for this hobby, and if retail partners keep disappearing and/or giving less shelf space it's going to have to evolve or die.

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile

I wish they would put up pre-orders and have the exclusives up on their website. Their website is pretty weak.

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile

Yeah I wonder what would happen to Canadian stores. From what I could tell the Canadian stores are a Division of the US company and not a completely sperate entity. This is different than ToysrUs where TRU canada was protected by that seperation. Also TRU canada was apparently profitable, unlike the US counterpart. I wonder how well EB games is doing in Canada and if it's any different than the US.

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile

The US market is definitely crumbling. It's very distressing to see that most collectors down the border have access to incredible sales for just released products we have to pay at full price mostly all year long. 6" figures costing normally 19-20$ down there cost us 30$ here, yet they are usually going on clearance merely 1-2 weeks after their release and for a fraction of the normal retail price (I've seen reports throughout Instagram of figures being found at 5$!!)

From what I can gather as information, the portrait of the normal US buyer is that of a cheap buyer. He's always on the lookout for sales. Will probably never pay an item at full price and if he does, he will get his money back with a price adjustment as soon as the item goes on sale. Given that, it's no wonder why the US retailers struggle so much. They simply cannot make money by selling products cheap and lower than the MRSP. Yet they do all the time.

So it's not surprising these big companies fall one after the other. Dragging their profitable Canadian counterparts in their s**tty mess.

Knowing that, it always makes me laugh to hear Trump and some of his followers asking for more protectionism, to bring back manufacturing jobs in the US. Damn stupid! If they're not willing to pay 25% of a product value made in China, I can't reason myself they will accept buying the same product if it costs 5 times more to manufacture in the US, given the high salary these workers are paid for compared to cheap China...  :shakehead:

"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • Hungry for some new TVC!
    • View Profile

In this day of fairly paid production workers (at least in North America), companies simply can't afford to produce here for the most part.

If the governments (ours and the US') want people to work in production, they are going to need to deeply incentivize production at home - and I mean by paying part of the workers' salaries, not by giving any more tax breaks to the rich. Hard to imagine a time when that comes to pass, but we'll see.

Brick & mortar is another relic of the past. No one - and I mean no one - should burn gas traveling store to store when you KNOW there won't be anything there. It makes so much more sense to spend full price on amazon (which is going to be cheaper than TRU full price anyhow) and get the stuff you want.... the trick is finding it in stock.

The thrill of the hunt has gone from driving around to clicking around. One step closer to us becoming the blobs of gelatin floating around in electric chairs at the end of Wall*E.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile

The thrill of the hunt has gone from driving around to clicking around. One step closer to us becoming the blobs of gelatin floating around in electric chairs at the end of Wall*E.

:rollfloorlaffsmiley:

Or should I say  :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 173307
  • Total Topics: 14530
  • Online Today: 32
  • Online Ever: 536
  • (October 31, 2018, 08:32:38 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 23
Total: 24

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 44 queries.