Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 21, 2019, 05:32:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

8 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New Kenner style/sculpt figure line by hasbro.  (Read 915 times)

ambasah

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: New Kenner style/sculpt figure line by hasbro.
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2019, 09:00:29 AM »

if these are copies of the toys I had as a child, I am 100% in for all of them.

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2019, 09:04:41 AM »

Target had the first wave up for preorder and sold out already. Along with the TVC stormtrooper Han. I'm hoping someone will bring that target exclusive to Canada.

As for these retro figures, they're mostly nice. I actually really dislike the fake wear around the edges. And are they going to have the big ugly red circle saying Retro on the card backs?  I get its kinda reminiscent of the old offers but I hated those too. Takes away from the image on the card. And $10 is about $2 too high a price on these. No reason they should be more than the current 5poa line. I'd like to hear hasbro's explanation on that.

Anyway criticisms aside I will likely grab these. I do like the idea. But I did think they would be rolling out missing characters alongside some of the originals. I would love a tarkin, rebel fleet trooper and Sandtrooper in this style.

DarthVader77

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2019, 01:24:46 PM »

DarthVader77

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2019, 01:31:54 PM »

I remember the furor the Classic Edition 4-Pack caused back in 1995. Many of the concerns proved true as many unsuspecting loose collectors back in the 90s (and even up to today) were duped into paying inflated amounts for a modern day figure instead of a true 1970s/1980s version of the figure.

I'm not 100% sure about these. They're all right, but the TVC approach that Hasbro had (new figures/old card design) I liked better. There are enough loose original Kenner figures around these days, and the negative impacts that these reissues (when loose) could have on collectors and general consumers could be high.

If these are the final product, it's funny that the cards appear to be scarred/beaten-up.

DarthVader77

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2019, 01:44:08 PM »

One additional point - the reason I feel that the current TVC line is failing is due to the Last Jedi and the playability associated with the characters. Regardless of how you feel about the movie, the characters available on TVC cards from the Last Jedi didn't really do much in the film. Snoke - sits around and gets cut in half; Luke Jedi - stands around and talks; the only one that was interesting was the Hoth Rebel Trooper - the only figure from the original trilogy in the TVC line. Additionally - the only 6" black series figures that are selling well are the original trilogy figures. I'm *still* trying to find Dengar/Lando Skiff/Leia Hoth while tonnes of DJs, Poes and Finns clog the pegs. The original trilogy stories and the excitement that they generated really lent playability and excitement to the toys. The current films - not so much, which is why Hasbro is taking a hit. I think that these retro figures are a move to recapture that excitement from older fans while introducing new fans to the original line as well.

DarthVader77

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2019, 09:03:53 PM »

Ah, they're releasing a vintage-style Tarkin. Very nice:

« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 09:07:24 PM by DarthVader77 »

darthric

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2019, 10:48:43 PM »

Easy easy pass for me !

:snowtroopers:
Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try !

bob

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2019, 11:57:33 PM »

if these are going to be 12 in canada they are going to fly off the shelves. a target exclusive though ? that sucks. someones gotta sell that here or we are getting royally screwed! :S

i like them. Leia looks great! agreed that big red 'retro'' bubble should be smaller. i do wonder what they are up to with this. is it a thought to get rid of SA TVC ? sales permitting im sure. hmm. or just more exclusives for SA tvc and this will take over. unless this is just a short lived thing. i donno
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 11:59:32 PM by bob »

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2019, 11:55:39 AM »

Fingers crossed that either TRU or EB picks them up.  Or both..

jmac

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2019, 09:26:01 PM »

What's the deal with all the Target exclusives? Hopefully Toys R Us steps up here. I think I would have trouble passing on the game with Tarkin if it comes here.

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2019, 11:24:32 PM »

If these are the final product, it's funny that the cards appear to be scarred/beaten-up.

That's just the new standard for packaging at HASBRO - either bent like hell or extreme shelf wear .  This new standard allows Amazon or Walmart to take your carded figures and stuff them in an envelop and you will no longer be able to return the item for product damage.
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2019, 07:28:34 AM »

The fake wear on the cards is lame. This is their attempt at mimicking the worn clothing look. But with clothing there's at least some logic. It's theoretically cooler to wear a shirt with a worn logo because it shows you're not just a noob or a bandwagon jumper. A worn t-shirt is actually desirable. Worn cardbacks on Star wars cards is actually undesirable. It's like hasbro is adding something to try and make it look cool but they're doing the exact opposite. Perfect example of how they make an attempt and yet manage to miss the boat. Just like how they brought back vintage and yet the character selection caused them to miss the boat.

old man ben

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • "Born to Collect!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2019, 09:31:09 AM »

My main concern with these retro figures is that they will lessen the demand for the originals and thus reduce their value.  A watered down market is not good for any collector - not that I am in any hurry to sell off my own vintage collection.

bob

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2019, 05:17:36 PM »

ya, i like them but the worn out look is cheese. i didnt care for that but the rest of it is ok so i looked past it a bit. if that RETRO 'sticker' is that big that sucks too but im still in cause they are cool mostly.

a worn out band shirt, i get what your saying. i have older tool shirts i stopped wearing cause there too worn out. ive liked them since 93 when i saw them at the 2nd stage at palooza in Barrie,Ont. what an intense experiance! life changing! but a worn out shirt sucks to me ;) nothing to do with all that other stuff. hehe

ive seen other people commenting it will devalue there true vintage on FB and now here too.. is that all that matters sorta is how much its worth ? O o these are new versions. its still not the same as the originals. i guess some people must of payed way too much for there figures if they feel that way about this new line.

we might not even get it in canada anyway. dooh! :p
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 05:22:14 PM by bob »

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2019, 11:57:45 PM »

I think for the people that want to buy the actual vintage figures, it will make no difference. All it does is weed out the people who want some representation of the vintage-style in their collection, but would never pay the price to buy actual vintage or go through all the work of tracking down good specimens for a low price. It's also a cheaper way to enjoy the figures without needing to crack open that MOC vintage figure collection.

This coming from a collector who couldn't care less about vintage, retro or anything else 5POA  :winking0071:

Except the vintage card backs. Those are awesome!  :love0030:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2025
  • Latest: rep
Stats
  • Total Posts: 172737
  • Total Topics: 14503
  • Online Today: 22
  • Online Ever: 536
  • (October 31, 2018, 08:32:38 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 8
Total: 8

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 43 queries.