Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2019, 03:18:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

14 Guests, 2 Users
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Board Games - General discussion thread  (Read 900 times)

skywalker1973

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
Board Games - General discussion thread
« on: February 23, 2019, 10:19:53 AM »

Plus they have an offer where they take an additional 10% off if you buy 2 or more board games so even better.
The game's won a bunch of awards and is usually $120+ CAD so a pretty good deal. Their board game selection is quite good so finding a 2nd game to activate the additional 10% off deal shouldn't be difficult.

Goldenrod

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Rebellion Board Game $90 @ Bestbuy.ca
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 05:27:55 PM »

funny to see that this game can't be shipped to the province of Québec because it's english but every board game store is allowed to sell it.

Have the game, played it once. really good game. Now if I can motivate the wife to play it more often. Will get the expansion soon.

skywalker1973

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 10:22:38 PM »

I finally bought it with this sale, I'd heard from a few people and reviews that it was a fun game and did a good job of recreating the feel of star wars. Looking forward to trying it out!

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 11:01:09 AM »

I didn't know Best Buy sold board games. I will have to check it out. I liked playing the Rebellion game. I have only tried it once. Finding the time is difficult for me. Damn job and kids seem to get in the way of all my free time. LOL

skywalker1973

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 01:05:21 PM »

Also, do yourself a favor when you search at bestbuy.ca and click the "Best Buy Only" tab so that you don't get all the garbage results from 3rd party sellers. 

bob

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 10:27:25 PM »

Also, do yourself a favor when you search at bestbuy.ca and click the "Best Buy Only" tab so that you don't get all the garbage results from 3rd party sellers.

aaah, a lot of canadian sites are like that now. were becoming more americanized all the time and it sucks! i noticed US walmart online was like that awhile ago and i had a feeling we would get that way too eventually. well the time is here..amazon,,walmart,,bestbuy and possibly other sites i dont bother with are doing the same things now. its annoying!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 10:29:08 PM by bob »

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 09:11:04 AM »

I had no idea best buy sold board games. My daughter and I have been getting into board games the past year. And she's at an age where she can play games that are a lot more interesting than snakes and ladders and the like.

I've been getting a lot from a store called 401games. They usually have game prices regularly at about what indigo has them at sale price. And they had a great black friday sale last year.

And a great resource for info on board games is boardgamegeek.com. I've learned a tonne by surfing that site.

Anyway thanks for the heads up on best buy. That really does seem like a good price for the SW game. I always ignored it thinking it was part of that miniatures game that is a complete money pit with all the expensive little ships and add ons. Rebellion being a stand alone game (with one expansion that seems to be getting great reviwws) I may like this game. My daughter probably won't play with me so I'd have to find someone to play with but it looks super cool.

skywalker1973

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 01:42:05 PM »

Hi Darth Cujo, I'm in a very similar spot as you it seems, my son's 8 but he's able to play with us on games like Sherrif of Nottingham, Forbidden Desert, Pandemic, Zombicide,  Ticket to Ride, etc.  I think Rebellion will be a little above his level for now (it's probably above my level too) but it will probably be ok soon and yeah the standalone nature of the game (i.e. not having to buy a bunch of extra x-wings at $15 apiece to complete the experience) was a big selling feature for me, too.  I'll have to check out 401games - thanks for the tip.

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 12:21:52 PM »

I also use Meeplemart to buy games. They have a ton of stuff in their store in Toronto if you ever get a chance to visit. Their online site is fantastic and updated constantly. Their prices are excellent and have a flat shipping rate if you are under a certain amount. I have never had any issues with them.
They have some good sales sometimes and they have discounts on games where the box may be damaged. I have ordered a few games with damaged boxes. If you aren't too worried about that kind of thing that is a good way to same some money on a game.

skywalker1973

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 01:52:43 PM »

Today's the last day for the sale at Best Buy on Rebellion if anyone has $90 burning a hole in their pocket!

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 07:33:22 PM »

I added 2 games to my cart but the 10% off didn't kick in (Rebellion and Pandemic).
Probably just take the chance to get just Rebellion on sale now, if the extra discount won't tack on anyways.

UPDATE: I placed the full order, then called them and had them apply the 10% discount manually.
Figured that was the easiest way to go. Looking forward to learning a couple new games with my family.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 11:16:53 PM by Wedge1021 »

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Board Games - General discussion thread
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 10:56:30 PM »

To kind of continue the conversation started in this thread:

http://www.snowtroopers.ca/index.php?topic=24050

I was thinking maybe a general board games thread might be handy (jjreason, maybe there's a better spot to put this thread? and maybe you could merge that thread below this post for continuity?)

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Board Games - General discussion thread
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 10:56:48 PM »

So, to get things going... I got my copy of Rebellion and Pandemic delivered from BestBuy today. Hopefully one day I'll find someone to try out Rebellion with, but I'm optimistic that I can at least play Pandemic with my family. I've watched a "TableTop" playthrough of the game on YouTube, and it looks like it's something that my daughters could play along with, since it's a co-op game. I'll be able to help them out, and there's not a lot of reading or crazy strategy memorization.

I've purchased from Meeplemart a few years ago for a gift for someone, but never for myself. I checked their website out again this past weekend and browsed through their discount  bin. After watching some reviews on a bunch of the games, looking out for ones that hopefully my whole family could play, I ordered the following (they're still all on sale if anyone else is interested):

- German Railways $15 (reg. $60) --- 75% off
- Squarrels 2nd ed. [damaged] $7 (reg. $10) --- 30% off
- Dark Seas $6 (reg. $17) --- 65% off
- Drakon 4th ed. $23 (reg. $41) --- 44% off
- Metro $20 (reg. $41) --- 51% off
- Arcana $15 (reg. $33) --- 55% off
- Orcs Orcs Orcs $10 (reg. $57) --- 82% off
- Orcs Orcs Orcs: Reinforcements $8 (reg. $30) --- 73% off

My main criteria for ordering was having a discount of at least 50% off in most cases, and looking like it could be played by my non-gaming family. We rarely play games and when we do it's the usual 'classic' boring ones, which doesn't increase our interest. I'm hoping some of these are enjoyable and we can try and get a family game night going once in awhile.

So that all said, I have a question for those of you who do a lot more board gaming.

Do you have any suggestions for tabletop games that would be good for family play? It could be anything for 2-4ish players. My kids are 6 and 9 right now, so something in the ages 6+ to 10+ range would be ideal to start with, but I'd be open to slightly older especially if it's a co-op game where the adults can help out the kids. In fact, pretty much any family co-op games you can recommend would be great. I'm thinking that style can help keep everyone engaged, and also cut down on any fighting between the kids, haha! Looking forward to your thoughts!

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 12:23:24 AM »

Ooh nice idea for a topic. I'm always looking for suggestions on games. My daughter, 9, is really enjoying family game nights these days. I picked up Seikatsu along with Rebellion during the sale. We just cracked Seikatsu open yesterday and my daughter is really enjoying it. Easy to pick up. Short game, 20 to 30 minutes. This is nice since we can pull out a short game on the occasional weeknight when homework is all done. Also it's not too complex for my wife who isn't really into boardgames.

A couple other suggestions off the top of my head that have gone over well with my daughter:
Kingdomino,  Carcassonne, Santorini, Ticket to Ride, Keys to the Castle, Ghost Fightin Treasure Hunters (this one is cooperative).

These all have fairly simple mechanics but still have enough strategy for the adults to enjoy. I really enjoy carcassonne and kingdomino in particular. I also love maps.  :)

And telestrations is a fun party game we've had a great time with when other family and fiends are over. That one is great with 6 to 8 people. Not so much with 2 or 3.

Some of these I picked up at 401games who have great sales from time to time. I'll have to check out the meeplemart site.

cash_fan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Tell that to Kanjiklub
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 09:26:18 PM »

Monopoly and Risk for me.
Cash fan, as in Johnny Cash
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 173091
  • Total Topics: 14518
  • Online Today: 26
  • Online Ever: 536
  • (October 31, 2018, 08:32:38 AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 14
Total: 16

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 44 queries.