Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 24, 2019, 12:19:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

25 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Star Wars Celebration updates  (Read 773 times)

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
Star Wars Celebration updates
« on: April 12, 2019, 10:54:11 AM »

Hey guys,

I am sitting at the Galaxy Stage, waiting for the Episode 9 panel to begin. So excited!

I am going to use this thread (and any other attendees, please use it, as well) to post news, updates, and other awesomeness from Star Wars Celebration Chicago to share with our Snowtrooper brothers and sisters who couldn't make it down.

The panel starts in about an hour. I'll post updates right after if I can.

Yesterday was really just the Exhibit Hall, which is incredible. So much to see there. I didn't get to see it all - I couldn't spend as long as I wanted, as some of my kids were getting cranky after walking for hours on end exploring the place.

If you have questions and comments, please post, as well.

old man ben

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • "Born to Collect!"
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Celebration updates
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 10:58:37 AM »

Thanks Brian,
I will really appreciate the updates and exciting news.

Ookk

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 10:59:47 AM »

Glad youíre keeping us posted!!! Looking forward to hearing the news. :)

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • Hungry for some new TVC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 01:20:32 PM »

Watched it live via Facebook & Youtube (could not stand the comments & my feed kept locking up on FB).

Teaser trailer & title revealed. I think I'm going to go ahead & start new topics for the discussion.  :luke:

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 01:22:33 PM »

Just started one for the trailer.

The panel was quite cool, as well. Not much revealed, of course, but nice comments, especially from Billy Dee Williams. It was great to see him there (as well as in the trailer).

And Joonas whatever his name is (the new chew) can do a pretty mean Shyriiwook, as well  :love0030:

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 07:14:48 PM »

I should have mentioned here, and alluded to it in the thread on the trailer, that right before the trailer, all of the panel (which included Stephen Colbert as the host, JJ Abrams, Kathleen Kennedy, Anthony Daniels, Lando Calrissian, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Kelly Marie Tran, Joonas Suotamo, and a new one named Naomi Ackie (she plays some character named Hannah) left the stage. Then, right after the first viewing on the celebration stage, the lights came up and Ian McDiarmid is standing there. In his Darth Sidious voice, he says "Roll it again" and then they showed it again.

Certainly, the emperor laugh and him being there could all be misdirection to get fans off on a wild goose chase, but man, it made for some interesting speculation!

Also, I thought it was interesting and cool that the biggest ovation of all of the cast went to Kelly Marie Tran. I think a big part of that was to show her SW fans love her, despite the bad comments from trolls on social media after episode 8.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 11:20:12 PM »

Wow - an eventful day here today. The panel was a big start for sure. After that, I had to get my oldest son shipped off to the airport, as he has an exam tomorrow morning, so I missed a chance at some panels I was considering. Instead, we took the kids to the family room where they were learning how to make some Porgs (which my daughter loves!).

At 3:00, we started the Bounty Hunt. At Celebration Anaheim, my two oldest sons, along with my wife and I, did the Bounty Hunt and ended up winning 1st place, although it was specifically for families (meaning that they weren't teams of 4 adults, but usually 2 parents and 2 children). As a brief explanation, the Bounty Hunt is a scavenger hunt where you get a series of clues (in this version, you start with 7) that are really a series of questions that, when answered, give you the name of a target or a clue to figure out the target. The targets are Star Wars characters, and you then have a "passport" that lists a bunch of character names and where those characters were "last spotted". Basically, if you figure out who the character is, you go to the spot in the convention centre listed and you will find someone with a special badge, and if you tell them the name of the character, they will stamp your card. Each "bounty" is worth a certain value, depending how hard the questions were, and how hard the spot is to find in the convention centre (some were really challenging, including one on the 5th floor when the maps all only showed 4 floors! Once you get at least 4 of the 6, you can return and get another set of clues to solves - there were 5 in the second batch.

Of the 12 clues, we figured out 11 (although 2 of them, we couldn't find the location of the bounty). No one figured out the 12th clue - they basically had a bunch of character names - 30 in total - scattered around on a page, and you had to connect the dots in the order that they appeared on screen in episodes 4-6. And these were not main characters!  Some examples of the characters were Dathcha, Shane Children, Khurgee, Sim Aloo, Cecius (who I have never heard of, and couldn't even find online!)Jhoff, Shekil, and Hewix. There were some not quite as hard, like Dutch Vander, Crix Madine, and Malakili, and a few even easier like Paploo and Bib Fortuna.

In the end, we placed 5th, which was just enough to get prizes (top 5 one prizes). We one 4 cool Hallmark ornaments, which were Han, Leia, Chewie, and Greedo in these soft, stuffed-toy-like figures in vintage-like packaging (and the full set, pictured on the back, actually includes a blue and a red snaggletooth!). We were the only team with kids (I played with 3 of my children) to place in the top 5. We had a blast!

For anyone who attends any celebrations, you should try a bounty hunt - they are a lot of fun. Maybe I'll post some of the clues in the trivia section so people can try them out.

After the bounty hunt, we met up with my wife and youngest daughter (who had been driving a mini-motorized land speeder around a racetrack) and went and waited for a panel called "I'll take droids for $500, Obi-Wan; An Intergalactic Game Show". It was billed as Star Wars fans competing head to head against their favourite authors, namely Claudia Grey, Timothy Zahn, and Delilah S. Dawson. In fact, they had it as a jeopardy-style game show, and 3 fans would be picked to play, one each on a team with each author. To select the 3 audience participants, they would ask a question and whoever raised their hand first (in a room of like 2500, so it required a fair bit of luck for them to see that it was you that raised your hand first) would get picked.

They started by picking a partner for Claudia Grey. I don't remember the question offhand, but it was a medium-difficulty question. I felt like my hand went up first, but I was in the front row, but way off on the left side of the stage, and the guy was looking straight out and didn't even see me. The person picked got it right and became Claudia Grey's partner.

Next it was time to pick Timothy Zahn's partner. The question was "What odds did C-3P0 say the group had of successfully navigating the Ateroid field in The Empire Strikes back". My hand went up quickly, but a dozen or so hands shot up, and they just picked one of the people in the centre. and they guessed 3750:1, which is incorrect. They then picked a second person, and their guess was 3725:1 (which was close, but is actually a mix between the real answer and the odds of surviving outside of echo base on Both, which 3P0 quoted as 725:1). I was jumping up and down at this point, and they actually picked me, and I answered (correctly) that it was 3720:1. And just like that, I became Timothy Zahn's partner! :love0030:

Delilah S. Dason then insisted on having a female partner, so no males were allowed to answer the next question. They asked who was the commander of the Death Star (which I felt was a vague question) and the first guess was wasy off by saying Admiral Ozzel. The next one was correct (from a certain point of view) by saying Grand Moff Tarkin.

Anyway, I am going to take a long story short and just say that Timothy Zahn and I emerged victorious! Unfortunately, they just gave the same generic prize bag to all 3 winners, which had a Star Wars Pop Socket (if you don't know what those are, neither did I, but they are basically a smart phone accessory), a couple of Star Wars pins, and a T-shirt that says "I (heart) books". Not the greatest prize pack, but the chance to play (and win!) with Timothy Zahn - priceless!

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • Hungry for some new TVC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 11:30:15 PM »

Just awesome! The trivia will be strong with you, always!

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 10:34:37 AM »

Excellent. Sounds like you had a great time. I was there as well and I must say everything ran pretty smooth for me. I didn't get in the Celebration Store but I didn't really try. The first day was an 8 hour wait and in the end there wasn't really much in there that I wanted. I was able to get some free posters, t-shirt, and pins so that was awesome.

Overall I had great time. There are obvious things ReedPop needs to work on and I hope they can figure out how to improve things.
I will have to decide if I want to go to Anaheim. Depends when the actual date is. My guess is the May 4th weekend.

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 09:16:19 PM »

Timothy Zahn's partner!!!!! - Brian you must have had a blast.   Congratulations on the win, well deserved .   
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

Ookk

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 12:58:34 AM »

Iíll echo the other statements...  Zahnís partner, eh? Iím pretty sure that makes you the automatic heir to the Heir to the Empire (...writer). Very cool!!!

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 01:50:27 PM »

It was pretty cool, for sure, being with Zahn.

I agree with you, Eradicator. This was the most well-run of the Celebrations I have been to (I have been to 6). I would suggest a few things to them to make it even better - really, the two main things would be some tweaks to how they ran the panel lotteries, as well as either going somewhere else with more hotels right by the convention centre (and Anaheim will solve that problem) or, if they do Chicago or a similar location again, they need to have more frequent buses/shuttles
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 173473
  • Total Topics: 14532
  • Online Today: 21
  • Online Ever: 536
  • (October 31, 2018, 08:32:38 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 25
Total: 25

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 44 queries.