Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2019, 01:43:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

24 Guests, 2 Users

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RIP Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca)  (Read 557 times)

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Begun, the Tariff Wars have!
    • View Profile
RIP Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca)
« on: May 03, 2019, 09:03:24 AM »

ambasah

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 09:24:13 AM »

I am glad he got the opportunity to reprise his role in the more recent movies.

I had a chance to meet him at a con a few years ago. A true gentleman.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 09:59:16 AM »

Another article, with some nice quotes from SW alum:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/peter-mayhew-chewbacca-from-star-wars-series-dies-at-74-1.4406094

I disagree with the idea that Chewie and his costume are among the "hokier" elements of the movies. I certainly don't consider Chewie corny or contrived. Chewie rocks!

Sad to see that Mayhew has passed, although his health hasn't been good for a while. RIP, you big walking carpet...

Darth Woo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 12:16:15 PM »

RIP

dangerlinto

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 12:40:09 PM »

Another article, with some nice quotes from SW alum:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/peter-mayhew-chewbacca-from-star-wars-series-dies-at-74-1.4406094

I disagree with the idea that Chewie and his costume are among the "hokier" elements of the movies. I certainly don't consider Chewie corny or contrived. Chewie rocks!

Sad to see that Mayhew has passed, although his health hasn't been good for a while. RIP, you big walking carpet...

Agreed - the Chewie costume is one of the better ones of all time.  In fact, it was such a good costume it doesn't even appear like on on screen - there's just a Wookie there.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Begun, the Tariff Wars have!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 04:02:15 PM »

I always thought the Chewie costume was great, not once in my entire life, from kid to adulthood, when I saw Chewie onscreen did I ever think "There's a human being in a furry costume..."  I just naturally thought, "Oh, there's Chewie!" and nothing else.

Gizmodo also posted some of the reactions to Mayhew's passing here:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-world-of-star-wars-mourns-the-loss-of-peter-mayhew-1834506579

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 08:56:16 PM »

I always thought the Chewie costume was great, not once in my entire life, from kid to adulthood, when I saw Chewie onscreen did I ever think "There's a human being in a furry costume..."  I just naturally thought, "Oh, there's Chewie!" and nothing else.

I never thought about it before... I don't think I've ever said that either. Of course now that you mention it, I won't be able to watch without thinking that!

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 12:06:35 PM »

Agreed and well said. Can we say Peter Mayhew was a great actor? Some would argue he did not deliver a single line and thus he's not even qualifying as full-fledged actor. But the real talent of an actor is to embody a completely different character, to "act" as another being, to allow his own self to disappear for his character to come to life. Peter did that very well. Okay, that costume was very well made and helpful, but there was more to the character than just a layer of fur. Peter Mayhew humbly accepted and succeeded in completely disappearing behind that mask. His willingness to play this speechless character made us forget the human being within. Much like C-3PO, I never ever viewed him as a costume. They were their own self.

RIP Chewbacca / Peter Mayhew. Thank you for this magnificent character.
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • Hungry for some new TVC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 11:59:45 AM »

100 percent agree on the "no costume, just a wookie" sentiment. I finally DID have an outer-body experience watching A New Hope not too long ago - I actually saw it through "non nerd" eyes just briefly.... but it was the metallic robot talking that triggered, not the Wookie (sorry, Anthony.....).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 173659
  • Total Topics: 14542
  • Online Today: 37
  • Online Ever: 536
  • (October 31, 2018, 08:32:38 AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 24
Total: 26

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 45 queries.