Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 09, 2019, 08:07:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

33 Guests, 1 User

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Star Wars The Vintage Collection Archive Edition Book  (Read 2207 times)

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Star Wars The Vintage Collection Archive Edition Book
« on: June 07, 2019, 11:34:02 AM »

This looks nice - too bad it will not be totally complete, with TVC still running:
https://news.toyark.com/2019/06/07/star-wars-the-vintage-collection-archive-edition-book-348108

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars The Vintage Collection Archive Edition Book
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 04:13:50 PM »

I backed it. Don't worry about being behind, they can always release volume 2.

bm459

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Orleans, ON
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 05:14:19 PM »

Oh, great idea. That shipping price though ... $40 to Canada ... yikes

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 06:16:21 PM »

I'm a sucker for nice books, and this subject matter is truly something I enjoy. I will be backing it. It already funded, too late for the early bird $50 price. :( But it looks like they're well on their way to meet the stretch goals.  :D

The vinyl case slip cover is pretty great looking but that's too pricey for me. I'll settle for the basic book.

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 06:43:49 PM »

Don't forget the International Bundle option, if you can get 3 others to order with you. They'll combine the shipping.

I backed it and plan to get it shipped to my US address.

bm459

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Orleans, ON
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 08:51:53 PM »

Oh, great idea. That shipping price though ... $40 to Canada ... yikes

I gave it about 5 minutes thought and decided this was something I really wanted. Went back and backed it. Looking forward to it!

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • Hungry for some new TVC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 09:03:34 PM »

Very nice design.

skywalker1973

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 09:10:48 AM »

I backed it, it looks like they'll do a nice job of it and the vintage collection is my favorite line so it was only a question of what bundle to choose. They've got the right insider people involved on this, hopefully some interesting stories find their way onto the pages.

Who knows,  they might do a volume 2 at some point to keep it up to date, but I'll assume they won't and that way I won't be disappointed.

Either way, this will be a good snapshot in time of (in my opinion) the best toy line of the modern era.
 :love0030: :yoda:

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 09:32:00 AM »

Very nice book that definitely appeals to the collectors.

But honestly, I have no room for my toys, yet alone books about toys. And I mean, it's nice, but do I really need it? It's not that I don't know my TVC stuff. I have that stuff. The pictures look great... but to me, it looks more like a catalog than a real piece of art. I mean: I have these figures. I have them MOC and loose. Why the hell would I need a book that shows toys in a very straightforward and non scene specific way?

Do I really need this?

Do I ever wished it was created?

No and no.

The book does look slick. I almost fell for the trap to be honest. But then I realized it would be pushing my consumerism obsession to the limit: buying a book that acts as a catalog of the toys I bought. It's not nostalgia, it's in fact way past nostalgia, it would be almost like revealing to myself a huge mental flaw (that I have, obviously, looking at the 60k$ worth of toys I bought over the last 23 years). That's when I simply told myself: no, that's too much. Not for me. Control yourself buddy, it's way too much...

Then I just went to the store to buy the Retro figures to calm myself down.

:speechless-smiley-004: :P
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 09:33:41 AM by JediPatrick »
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

DarthMark

• Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2019, 09:36:48 AM »

Also backed it with the additional poster option. On JTA one of the authors mentioned they will cover up to the end of 2019 and, should the line continue long enough, they might male a volume 2.

Can’t wait to receive it. It reminds me of how ecstatic I was when I received Sansweet’s book around Episode 1 (before internet guides).

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2019, 10:28:01 AM »

But honestly, I have no room for my toys, yet alone books about toys. And I mean, it's nice, but do I really need it? It's not that I don't know my TVC stuff. I have that stuff. The pictures look great... but to me, it looks more like a catalog than a real piece of art. I mean: I have these figures. I have them MOC and loose. Why the hell would I need a book that shows toys in a very straightforward and non scene specific way?

Do I really need this?

No and no.

The book does look slick. I almost fell for the trap to be honest. But then I realized it would be pushing my consumerism obsession to the limit: buying a book that acts as a catalog of the toys I bought. It's not nostalgia, it's in fact way past nostalgia, it would be almost like revealing to myself a huge mental flaw (that I have, obviously, looking at the 60k$ worth of toys I bought over the last 23 years). That's when I simply told myself: no, that's too much. Not for me. Control yourself buddy, it's way too much...

Interesting take on this book (its a trap!!). I guess we all have our lines that we draw and do not want to cross with our obsessions. ☺ for me this book definitely does not cross the line. Meanwhile there are things that others collect that would cross my lines and I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. To each their own. 

Bottom line for me is it's something I will sit and flip through and actually read and enjoy. I would not just be getting it to feed the obsession so it's a buy for me. Looks great, and appears for me much more than just a catalog.

And I agree with skywalker1973 having Darryl depriest involved and access to hasbro staff who were involved in the creation...   This is a huge part of the appeal for me. I'm hoping the book doesn't just look pretty and is an interesting and informative volume.

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2019, 10:45:20 AM »

Interesting take on this book (its a trap!!). I guess we all have our lines that we draw and do not want to cross with our obsessions. ☺ for me this book definitely does not cross the line. Meanwhile there are things that others collect that would cross my lines and I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. To each their own.

Agreed, we all have our own craves and demons. And also (financial and space) constraints. It's a matter of choice and limits. TO me, while the book is definitely gorgeous (like I said, it's definitely a trap), I try to stay focused on my core obsessions: toys and figures.

And autographs.

And Making of Books.

And Comic books.

And...

Ok... guess I'm a rather complex (not so logical) being.  :P :tongue0024:

"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

DarthDerek

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2019, 11:16:25 AM »

Do I really need this

No and no.

JediPatrick says it best IMO.  I couldn't agree with you anymore JP!
I was close to getting one, and your name printed in the book is cool and all, but I can pass on this and grab some retro Stormtroopers instead.  :sw2:

skywalker1973

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2019, 03:16:15 PM »

That's the spirit!

skywalker1973

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 01:40:02 PM »

So currently they have 824 backers (with 29 from Canada) and $108,583 USD currently pledged. 

Stretch goals are looking better and better, with status as follows:

$60,000 - UNLOCKED
We Shall Double Our Efforts:
A chapter with comprehensive entries for Hasbro's Vintage Original Trilogy Collection (VOTC) and Vintage The Saga Collection (VTSC) action figures.

$70,000 - UNLOCKED
Don't Act so Surprised:
A visual quick-reference, chronological timeline of The Vintage Collection action figures organized by release date / wave.

$80,000 - UNLOCKED
She May not Look Like Much, but She's got it Where it Counts:
Special three-panel, fold-out entries for the Millennium Falcon and Jabba's Sail Barge vehicles.

$90,000 - UNLOCKED
You Know Better than to Trust a Strange Computer
: Appendix with a card back matrix of all variants of U.S. The Vintage Collection action figure packaging such as foil logos, offer stickers, reverse-side artwork, etc.

$100,000 - UNLOCKED
What a Piece of Junk:
Guide to all Hasbro The Vintage Collection promotional materials and giveaways including inserts, card backs, posters and more.

$110,000
So What I Told You was True… From a Certain Point of View:
A chapter covering concepts, unrealized ideas and unproduced items that were discussed or considered to continue the TVC line beyond its hiatus in 2012.

$125,000
You Don’t have to do this to Impress Me:
A folio containing all of the full spread-width chapter break photographs individually printed on premium 8.5x11-inch paper, free of the chapter titles and overlay text. There are currently a minimum of eight (8) chapter break photo spreads earmarked for the book.

$150,000
The Circle is now Complete:
Former Kenner photographer Kim Simmons will recreate his reverse-side masterpiece from the 1984 Star Wars is Forever mail-away poster using The Vintage Collection action figures and vehicles. The 18x22-inch poster comes folded in a mailer envelope, like the original.

$175,000
Sorry About the Mess:
Details coming soon!

$200,000
No Reward is Worth This:
All book backers will receive a digital version of Star Wars: The Vintage Collection Archive Edition as a companion to their print edition.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 174362
  • Total Topics: 14563
  • Online Today: 113
  • Online Ever: 536
  • (October 31, 2018, 08:32:38 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 33
Total: 34

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 44 queries.