Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2019, 09:16:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

27 Guests, 3 Users

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Fan Expo Exclusives  (Read 3394 times)

dangerlinto

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Expo Exclusives
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2019, 05:46:39 PM »

Hasbro (and other companies like Gentle Giant etc.) have been doing this for years. They limit supply to build interest and 'buzz' about their products. They did the same at SDCC and past Star Wars Celebrations since 2002. These companies aren't stupid. They know the venue capacity/tickets sold that are admitted to these events and they know the limit of items that can be sold per person so they can easily do the math. To be sold out each morning before the regular eventgoers actually get in is absurd. There will be more of these available at a later date. If you can supress the urge to 'buy-it-now', wait another 6 months to a year when the hype on these have died down and buy them for a reasonable price. The original Boba Fett will undoubtedly come with the 'Fett tax', but the asking price will drop from this initial period of hysteria.

I'll take that bet on 40th Fett.  What's a reasonable price?  If the past is any indicator, after the 5 minutes it's on sale at Hasbro Pulse are done it'll shoot up in price even higher in 6 months.  And then even more again later if they fail to release a non-foil version along with any other 40th ESB 6" Vintage Figures.

No, like other good SDCC exclusives (of which there are few) it'll stay very high in price indeed.

There's actually a fairly sizable group of SW collectors over on actionfigurenews.ca. I think because that site has a multi-license focus, it naturally gets more people in due to simple cross-pollenation between fandoms. This place used to be a lot busier, back when I started collecting about 10 years ago, but let's face it - SW collecting isn't what it used to be back then. There's not as much to keep the topics flowing here, so a site like AFN provides other lines to fill the holes. Which is sad cuz I feel like it also pulls in a lot of, shall we say, "grumpier personalities" - more so than we've ever had on here. This has always been a great site to just chill and talk SW collecting, and everyone has always been fairly polite and welcoming.

It's an OK site - but the SW stuff is really thin over there, and it's all I'm really into (that I can afford to be into!)

DarthDerek

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2019, 11:32:17 PM »

Yup should have a VIP sticker on these Fetts!

But the fact the Sith Trooper is also sold out tells me that they didnt bring enough.  The sith trooper is not that great
100% agree!

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2019, 09:00:08 AM »

To me, this mess was made on purpose. They know what they're doing (100% agree with @DarthVader77 on this). They've been doing it for years and they have good marketing resources that can plan what they need in advance. And Star Wars isn't such a big deal anymore, it's not a retail success, fans and collectors are leaving the boat (or at least they've been putting their hard-earned money elsewhere to other high end collectibles like Hot Toys).

Just ask yourself: to whom this mess can contribute to? To the customers? No. To the exclusive retailers? Not really if they can't meet demand it means they could have been making way more cash if they had the stock. Well, to Hasbro: by creating a false scarcity, they improve customers interest for the product. For future products as well. They create a hype for Star Wars products in general. Sure, they're going to sacrifice sales on the exclusives, but if these exclusives are widely and easily available, even more than their normal product line for which we struggle to hunt thru retailers, e-tailers, secondary market due to poor distribution, why the hell would these be considered exclusives? In people's mind, exclusives are supposed to be hard-to-get products. I'm sure a lot of us collectors wouldn't even care for half of what's tagged as exclusives were not real exclusives. People are so predictable...

I'd say just wait. Wait and see. Patience, as Yoda said. All these will be available within 1-2 years at more reasonable price thru the secondary market. People who hoarded these in hopes to make big cash (I know there is) will be stuck with their overstock. They'll be forced to sell them near the original retail price.

And if not, then it was just not meant to be. And maybe it's better this way...

But it's really really frustrating. Waiting hours to get these products and getting back home empty handed is not good.  >:(
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

IanToronto

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2019, 10:17:59 AM »

Fan Expo Day 4.....Boba Fett and Sith Trooper SOLD OUT! (What a surprise!)....Actually, the staff told me that the Sith Trooper sold out before the Boba Fett. I don't get it! I would have thought the crappy Sith Trooper would outlast the other exclusives even with lower quantities.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 10:23:36 AM by IanToronto »

DarthVader77

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2019, 12:19:51 PM »

Patience is a virtue - I've *never* paid a heaping premium for any of the SDCC or other event exclusives. I've had to wait awhile, but prices eventually drop. The Fett will always come with its 'Fett tax' but I stand by what I said earlier; wait awhile and the prices will come down. If you (and others) are impatient and pay the outrageous asking prices because you have to 'have-it-now', then prices will stay high until demand cools.

I'll take that bet on 40th Fett.  What's a reasonable price?  If the past is any indicator, after the 5 minutes it's on sale at Hasbro Pulse are done it'll shoot up in price even higher in 6 months.  And then even more again later if they fail to release a non-foil version along with any other 40th ESB 6" Vintage Figures.

No, like other good SDCC exclusives (of which there are few) it'll stay very high in price indeed.

dangerlinto

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2019, 02:45:36 PM »

Patience is a virtue - I've *never* paid a heaping premium for any of the SDCC or other event exclusives. I've had to wait awhile, but prices eventually drop. The Fett will always come with its 'Fett tax' but I stand by what I said earlier; wait awhile and the prices will come down. If you (and others) are impatient and pay the outrageous asking prices because you have to 'have-it-now', then prices will stay high until demand cools.

Tell that to anyone who didn't get an SDCC Thrawn.  Not that you couldn't get one when you wanted to for regular price -  heck you could even get one at Fan Expo last year, but here we are two years after and you have to shell out ~$150 for one. I mean, I suppose you could just tell people to be even more patient...

... but if you were looking for a 12-back Vader, and 20 years ago you told people $200 was too much - be more patient, how would that have worked out?  Patience doesn't always work... otherwise collectible markets would not exist.   

FYI - I paid the retail price for my Fett.   

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2019, 11:14:47 PM »

Some drop some don't.  Unfortunately there's no hard and fast rule. But generally SDCC exclusives are at the very least a pain in the ass but usually command a significant premium. If you have managed to get them all without paying much of a premium you are very lucky as that is not what I've observed. I've been mostly lucky and gotten what I've wanted over the years but sometimes it took sitting at a computer at exactly the right moment and getting lucky plus having help from collector friends and/or American relatives... it's a lot of effort to collect SDCC items without paying a ridiculous premium. Which I no longer have the patience for.

Hasbro must have some marketing data that says pissing off the majority of your collector base is outweighed by the so called "buzz" of a hard to find item because at this point I'm convinced they short supply SDCC items on purpose. However I know they left money on the table from me. I would have bought a number of items over the years if they were readily available but never got the chance. But again I guess the "buzz" is worth more than the collector dollars they could have earned. Sure they never lost me as I still collect but they could have had more of my money.

Black series Fett with Han carbonite certainly never dropped in price. I was patiently waiting for the carbonite block to be available at regular retail as Hasbro indicated it likely would. The blessing there though was I knew from the get go I would never be a completist for that line. So I passed on quite a few things I would have bought for completion sake. More money lost by Hasbro due to their desire for buzz. 

ambasah

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2019, 09:51:05 AM »

hi guys. as mentioned dealers were not able to get any...so the sell out wasn't from them.

I think the vip guys who were able to get in early each morning scooped up most of these each and every day...you were out of luck if you only bought a one day pass.

Really, what they need to do is only allow one per person for the ENTIRE show...not each day. All they would need to do is "punch" your badge after your purchase. That would give more folks a shot.

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2019, 12:32:43 PM »

There's a lot of people that bee-line it right to the exclusives at cons these days. I know if I was shelling out all that money for a 4-day VIP pass, I'd want some way to recoup some of that money too. Cons are getting more and more expensive to attend, so I cannot blame some people for wanting to subsidize these fees with some ebay/kijiji profits. It sucks for the people who actually care about the items though. It's this same "pay for access" philosophy that has seeped into many things - like the Hasbro Pulse Premium access, Amazon Prime, gaming, etc etc. Gotta keep the "plebs" and the "proles" separate.

dangerlinto

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2019, 01:11:39 PM »

hi guys. as mentioned dealers were not able to get any...so the sell out wasn't from them.

They were very good about this.  I didn't bother to put my badge on a lanyard and when I showed up they asked to see my pass.  Of course, I could have been a dealer and borrowed anybodys pass once inside - it's not like they are photo id.  But still - they were doing what they could.

old man ben

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • "Born to Collect!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2019, 01:29:00 PM »

I was in my local EB Games this morning, and my buddy there asked if I wanted to pre-order Boba Fett.  I said sure, but was shocked to find out they are quoting a price of $169.00 for him!
Does that sound right?  I remember they were trying to get $200 for the combat tank.

headstone

• Empire
  • Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2019, 01:52:35 PM »

The boba fett helmet being released next year will be $169, that is probably the pre order they were talking about, not the 40th anniversary one..

old man ben

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • "Born to Collect!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2019, 04:00:19 PM »

Thanks, that makes more sense.

DarthVader77

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2019, 09:38:10 PM »

Here are 2 SDCC Thrawns that closed on ebay for $90US and $95US (another example without the outer plastic sold for around $75US):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STAR-WARS-The-Black-Series-Grand-Admiral-Thrawn-SDCC-Exclusive-/133136555087?hash=item1eff8e9c4f%3Ag%3AhooAAOSwAVldOKaY&nma=true&si=jsJNLEj49hF6vtgjD1CiQaiHFio%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Black-Series-SDCC-Exclusive-Grand-Admiral-Thrawn-Mint-In-Box-/283586102206?hash=item42070c83be%3Ag%3A1%7EoAAOSwhkRdW1sr&nma=true&si=jsJNLEj49hF6vtgjD1CiQaiHFio%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

...a lot cheaper than $150.

The vintage figure example isn't an exclusive and 20 years is far too long. Prices initially dipped shortly after the figures were no longer available; after ROTJ, the figures were blown out for as low as 79 cents each:

I still say that you will be rewarded with patience after a *reasonable* timeframe (ie: NOT 20 years).

Tell that to anyone who didn't get an SDCC Thrawn.  Not that you couldn't get one when you wanted to for regular price -  heck you could even get one at Fan Expo last year, but here we are two years after and you have to shell out ~$150 for one. I mean, I suppose you could just tell people to be even more patient...

... but if you were looking for a 12-back Vader, and 20 years ago you told people $200 was too much - be more patient, how would that have worked out?  Patience doesn't always work... otherwise collectible markets would not exist.   

FYI - I paid the retail price for my Fett.   

dangerlinto

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2019, 10:27:44 PM »

Here are 2 SDCC Thrawns that closed on ebay for $90US and $95US (another example without the outer plastic sold for around $75US):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STAR-WARS-The-Black-Series-Grand-Admiral-Thrawn-SDCC-Exclusive-/133136555087?hash=item1eff8e9c4f%3Ag%3AhooAAOSwAVldOKaY&nma=true&si=jsJNLEj49hF6vtgjD1CiQaiHFio%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Black-Series-SDCC-Exclusive-Grand-Admiral-Thrawn-Mint-In-Box-/283586102206?hash=item42070c83be%3Ag%3A1%7EoAAOSwhkRdW1sr&nma=true&si=jsJNLEj49hF6vtgjD1CiQaiHFio%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

...a lot cheaper than $150.

HAHA!

90USD + $13.70 USD shipping (I plugged in a 90210 postal code since he didn't ship to Canada) which is super cheap considering the size of the box = 103.70 USD or $137.23 CAD.

And you call that *a lot* cheaper?

Seriously.  Done with this discussion.  You just proved you can't even come close to the $56.50 CAD (with tax) anyone paid for one of these at Fan Expo.  Not even less than TWICE the price.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2029
  • Latest: Wrenn
Stats
  • Total Posts: 174222
  • Total Topics: 14555
  • Online Today: 151
  • Online Ever: 536
  • (October 31, 2018, 08:32:38 AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 27
Total: 30

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 44 queries.