Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2019, 05:36:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

27 Guests, 1 User

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fan Expo Exclusives  (Read 2592 times)

DarthVader77

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Expo Exclusives
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2019, 11:34:32 PM »

We're talking purchase price. You said $150 - I'm showing you that you can purchase it for $120 (and even less). If you want to start adding in shipping then balance that with what you save without having to pay entry tickets to SDCC or FanExpo and I'm not even including travel costs to get to the venue either (the majority of people don't live in the city where these events are held). Factor that all in and it is cheaper.

HAHA!

90USD + $13.70 USD shipping (I plugged in a 90210 postal code since he didn't ship to Canada) which is super cheap considering the size of the box = 103.70 USD or $137.23 CAD.

And you call that *a lot* cheaper?

Seriously.  Done with this discussion.  You just proved you can't even come close to the $56.50 CAD (with tax) anyone paid for one of these at Fan Expo.  Not even less than TWICE the price.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 11:56:48 PM by DarthVader77 »

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2019, 01:53:01 AM »

We're talking purchase price. You said $150 - I'm showing you that you can purchase it for $120 (and even less). If you want to start adding in shipping then balance that with what you save without having to pay entry tickets to SDCC or FanExpo and I'm not even including travel costs to get to the venue either (the majority of people don't live in the city where these events are held). Factor that all in and it is cheaper.

HAHA!

90USD + $13.70 USD shipping (I plugged in a 90210 postal code since he didn't ship to Canada) which is super cheap considering the size of the box = 103.70 USD or $137.23 CAD.

And you call that *a lot* cheaper?

Seriously.  Done with this discussion.  You just proved you can't even come close to the $56.50 CAD (with tax) anyone paid for one of these at Fan Expo.  Not even less than TWICE the price.
When discussing exclusives and their cost, factoring in convention entry cost and travel etc. is such a BS argument to justify inflated pricing and lack of availability. When someone goes to a con the ticket and travel etc is the cost of attending, not the cost of the exclusive and should not be factored in. I've always hated that argument since it holds no water. It's more like hollow justification of the exclusivity. 

DarthVader77

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2019, 09:15:38 AM »

I totally get that, but if you were just after the exclusive itself from the event, you'd have to pay the admission fee just to get it which is an additional cost to keep in mind. Whenever a friend picks up an event exclusive for me, I definitely give him more than just the item's purchase price because of the fact that he had to buy a ticket and wait in line to purchase it.

When discussing exclusives and their cost, factoring in convention entry cost and travel etc. is such a BS argument to justify inflated pricing and lack of availability. When someone goes to a con the ticket and travel etc is the cost of attending, not the cost of the exclusive and should not be factored in. I've always hated that argument since it holds no water. It's more like hollow justification of the exclusivity.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • Hungry for some new TVC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2019, 08:12:10 AM »

You the sellers are factoring in all those costs when they come up with the outrageous prices. I really feel that these exclusives should be made available on an ongoing basis through Hasbro's online ordering or toyshop or whatever - just change the packaging to remove the "Exclusive" badging & leave the chase for those to the big time collectors. They do damage to their reputation every time they pull this stunt with the super desirable items.  :crazy:

skywalker1973

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2019, 04:35:57 PM »

If anyone missed out on the Luke 3 Pack, it's still available at robotkingdom.com for 59.90. Or you can wait for hasbropulse on sept.10 when it should be $54. I just took the $5 hit and saved myself the hassle. Arrived very well packaged and protected from robotkingdom.com.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2019, 05:49:25 PM »

Patience is a virtue - I've *never* paid a heaping premium for any of the SDCC or other event exclusives. I've had to wait awhile, but prices eventually drop. The Fett will always come with its 'Fett tax' but I stand by what I said earlier; wait awhile and the prices will come down. If you (and others) are impatient and pay the outrageous asking prices because you have to 'have-it-now', then prices will stay high until demand cools.

I'll take that bet on 40th Fett.  What's a reasonable price?  If the past is any indicator, after the 5 minutes it's on sale at Hasbro Pulse are done it'll shoot up in price even higher in 6 months.  And then even more again later if they fail to release a non-foil version along with any other 40th ESB 6" Vintage Figures.

No, like other good SDCC exclusives (of which there are few) it'll stay very high in price indeed.

Tell that to anyone who didn't get an SDCC Thrawn.  Not that you couldn't get one when you wanted to for regular price -  heck you could even get one at Fan Expo last year, but here we are two years after and you have to shell out ~$150 for one. I mean, I suppose you could just tell people to be even more patient...

... but if you were looking for a 12-back Vader, and 20 years ago you told people $200 was too much - be more patient, how would that have worked out?  Patience doesn't always work... otherwise collectible markets would not exist.   

FYI - I paid the retail price for my Fett.   

You can't compare vintage figures to modern figs in this scenario. Almost no one collected figures back then, which is why examples of figures i packages are rare and very much higher priced then when they were released. Now everyone is a collector and examples of MOC are so common that supply very frequently will eventually outstrip demand.

If you look at most of the show exclusives that used to be "hot commodities" - Jorg Sacul, CIII Vader, McQuarrie concept R2/3P0, etc. - none of them go for much more than retail now, and sometimes less. A quick eBay search of completed items shows that ones have sold average between $10 and $20. It may have taken years, but the prices have cooled off.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 05:55:31 PM by brianakarobin »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 173656
  • Total Topics: 14540
  • Online Today: 38
  • Online Ever: 536
  • (October 31, 2018, 08:32:38 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 27
Total: 28

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 44 queries.