Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2019, 05:41:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

26 Guests, 1 User

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Basic 3 3/4 inch figures for Rise of Skywalker?  (Read 730 times)

bm459

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Orleans, ON
    • View Profile
Basic 3 3/4 inch figures for Rise of Skywalker?
« on: September 04, 2019, 08:18:56 PM »

Say, I read somewhere (reddit, maybe? can't find it now) that there will only be the new 5" Galaxy of Adventures, 6" Black Series and a small handful (3-4) Vintage Collection figures made for Rise of Skywalker... no basic 3 3/4 5POA line.

Has anyone else heard this? Any real news sources reporting this? Would that mean no vehicles either?
I find this hard to believe, but, if true, I guess that's the end of an era. No dedicated 3 3/4" line for a new movie would just be devastating to me as a collector.

neospike

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
Re: Basic 3 3/4 inch figures for Rise of Skywalker?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 08:25:54 PM »

It's true.  5POA is dead and buried.

darthric

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 08:27:14 PM »

Hi BM459, I read the same thing.

:snowtroopers:
Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try !

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Begun, the Tariff Wars have!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 08:48:00 PM »

Hasbro could only ship "clearance-ready" 3.75inch figures to the retailers for so long before the retailers wised up and no longer wanted to take on any more 5POA junk. 

With any luck, the line will get a rest and come back in a few years when the royalty rates charged by Disney sink like a stone and they stop being so greedy. 5POA figures were only ever worth $5 at best.

This is assuming that Hasbro will even renew the license, given that they are currently buying up other properties (Power Rangers, Ghostbusters, etc) and focusing on exploiting their own, more profitable, intellectual property, we're more likely to see the return of 4inch GI Joe than we are 4inch Star Wars.

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 09:17:06 PM »

Say, I read somewhere (reddit, maybe? can't find it now) that there will only be the new 5" Galaxy of Adventures, 6" Black Series and a small handful (3-4) Vintage Collection figures made for Rise of Skywalker... no basic 3 3/4 5POA line.

Has anyone else heard this? Any real news sources reporting this? Would that mean no vehicles either?
I find this hard to believe, but, if true, I guess that's the end of an era. No dedicated 3 3/4" line for a new movie would just be devastating to me as a collector.

Yes, it's true. All of it.

Hasbro has decided to get rid of the redundant toy format. Now we have TVC, TBS and GOA. 3.75", 6'' and 5''.

It's truly devastating IMO. E9 will be the first movie without its dedicated 3.75" action figure line since 1977. Even Solo, with its poor ratings, got its own line of figures.

So we'll end up getting what? Only 4-8 figures for E9. No more. Probably spread over 2-3 waves of TVC figures. We already know 4 of them from Wave 1 (I won't tell them the names, check YakFace.com for details and pictures from Ceremonial Luke's cardback). Maybe we'll get 2-4 more in subsequent waves, alongside other movie characters. But your hopes of getting a background Cantina-type character in the TVC line? Slim to none. Hasbro will never produce a background character in this line anymore. We're not in 2010-2012 anymore. We'll be stuck with Troopers and main core characters.

Who's to blame? You know my POV on this. I don't want to start a debate. But the toy business is tied with offer and demand. They will look at sales numbers and will base their strategy on what sell. When the shift to another size format was offered to collectors, most jumped in without thinking too much. And now is the end result. Sadly.

I just hope people will think carefully before buying these Galaxy of Adventures 5" figures. Were these even on your wish list last year before they produced that crap? Please please please, think about it guys. Reason yourself These are made for KIDS. Not for collectors. Please don't buy them. If you want to send a clear message to a toy manufacturer that you don't want this product, just don't buy it. If you buy it, their sales numbers will go up for that particular product niche and they will continue producing them. Make the GoA line their next SW Angry Bird, MicroForce, Epic Force, SW Mighty Beanz, Star Wars Destiny Dolls...

"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 10:34:24 PM »

Attack of the Clones never got its own dedicated packaging, but the first 28 or so figures of the then, new saga line were all from that film. So I suppose that still counts as a dedicated movie line, despite the packaging.

This is a pretty big deal. And really makes me wonder if Hasbro will maintain the licence beyond next year. Or if it will be a carved up version of the licence. As I read on Adam Pawlus's Q&A, gone are the all-encompassing master licences, so who knows what the future could hold.

I just feel like we should count ourselves extremely lucky to have been able to collect during the golden age of 3.75" action figures. Extensive 3.75" figure lines seem to be going the way of the dodo bird, along with the majority of action figure collecting among children. That doesn't mean Hasbro gets a free pass on all their mistakes over the years, but I think they are treading up stream with a much smaller paddle than they used to have. The market is a LOT smaller than it used to be. At this point, I just wish they would finish out the original 96 in 3.75" form.

As for the 5", I can honestly say I have zero interest. 6" came along and I was begrudgingly pulled in, as it is truly a wonderful line of figures, quibbles aside. But that's the final scale for me. 3.75 will always be king though.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • Hungry for some new TVC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 01:56:05 AM »

I would wager that Disney has told Hasbro the gig is up. It will be interesting to see the evolution of the line if (when) it changes hands.

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 05:20:13 AM »

Disney is a profit juggernaut.  Once their stock priced soared and they started paying dividends - you need to be making a lot of money everywhere to sustain stock market growth and interest in owning your stock.   In 2009 you could get Disney for $17, it is now $140.  And they want it to be worth even more. 
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

66jedikiller66

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 12:59:06 PM »

If, let's say if Star Wars went to Mattel, Disney's go to manufacturer, things will be a lot better!
Look what has happened with the Jurassic Park/World lines.
Everything became roughly 20% -25% cheaper
The sculpting got better
Paint aps got better.
They released more species than ever before
And they are giving the fans what they want...there's a 3 foot tall Brachiosaurus coming out this year!!!
Basically, Jurassic toys actually sell again, sure you see peg warmers but that always happens with select characters, in any line.
They are selling so well that some of the dinosaurs are on their third color variations in production runs.
It has been incredibly refreshing.
Here is what I think will happen, Hasbro will keep the 6" rights and Disney will take over 3.75" to breathe new life into the line.
I think I am actually one of the few that think Hasbro losing the rights is a good thing.

66jedikiller66

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 01:01:25 PM »

One more thing, I think TROS is going to be really huge because we are supposed to get a lot of revelations in this movie.
Hasbro is dropping the ball on this one with the 3.75" line.

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2019, 12:21:35 PM »

Attack of the Clones never got its own dedicated packaging, but the first 28 or so figures of the then, new saga line were all from that film. So I suppose that still counts as a dedicated movie line, despite the packaging.

Agreed. I admit I always viewed the Saga line to be the AOTC line, as the first few waves were decidated to E2. What I should have said was that TROS will be the first SW movie ever not to get its regular stream of 3.75" figures. TVC is a separate line and we'll likely only get a handful of figures from E9, say maybe 4 at first, then a few others later in 2020. Like TBS 3.75" Walmart exclusive line, we only got 4 such figures per movie except TFA with 8 figures spread over 3 waves.

For me, the regular line (5POA) was a mean to get background characters we will never get in TVC line (Hasbbro can't afford to have 18$+ figures of obscure characters sitting on the pegs). In my mind, it's obvious that such figures we got in TFA, Rogue One, TLJ and Solo (like Paige, Cassian Andor in Jedha gear, K-2SO, Nien Numb, Tasu Leech, Hassk Thug, Chirrut Imwe, Baze Malbus, General Hux, DJ, C'ai Threnalli, MAz Kanata, etc.) would never make the cut for the TVC line.

So I really doubt we will ever see background characters now in 3.75" format. Which is truly sad. People may rejoice at the idea that Hasbro will stop producing 5POA figures, but for me it was a nice compromise to get characters to fill in my diorama setups. Now, this is really the end of an era.  :-[
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2019, 08:25:58 AM »

The new annual release cycle for movies has stopped them from being able to really delve into the background characters too. I think of the EpI line, it felt like a long damned time between the release of the flood of original wave 1 stuff & seeking Sio Bibble & swimming Jar Jar at the end of that line. They had enough time to release 50 figures from that movie in various waves over 3+ years. Saga starting in 2002 & ROTS (possibly the high point) in 2005 worked the same way. I hope that they realize the error in their ways & release more 3.75" figures later on, but failing to "strike while the iron's hot" leading up to the release of Rise of Skywalker isn't going to help.

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2019, 12:07:04 PM »

The new annual release cycle for movies has stopped them from being able to really delve into the background characters too. I think of the EpI line, it felt like a long damned time between the release of the flood of original wave 1 stuff & seeking Sio Bibble & swimming Jar Jar at the end of that line. They had enough time to release 50 figures from that movie in various waves over 3+ years. Saga starting in 2002 & ROTS (possibly the high point) in 2005 worked the same way. I hope that they realize the error in their ways & release more 3.75" figures later on, but failing to "strike while the iron's hot" leading up to the release of Rise of Skywalker isn't going to help.

True. With 2-3 years between movies, Hasbro had plenty of time to venture into different dark corners of the stories and release background characters to fill our universe. Now, with movies spread 1 year apart, the pace is too fast for them to do anything interesting past the main characters and troopers. That's what I feared when they started this with TFA and Rogue One. I was kinda surprised to see we still got some of these obscure characters in 5POA no matter what. But it looks like it finally happened and the line was drastically skimmed.

It's sad because once the movies are 1-2 years away in the past, it's not likely Hasbro will go back to produce these background characters. This toy line needs a strong media support to sell, and with movies far away in the past, it's not gonna happen.

We were quite lucky to live in an era where we got 50-60 figures per year back in 2010-2012. To get Cantina patrons like Bom Vimdim, Tusken Raiders, Kithaba, Vizam, Ewoks. But these days are long gone. These are characters we would never get nowadays.

Mark my words: within 2 years, the 3.75" will definitely be gone. We'll be stuck with 5" for kids and 6" for collectors. Sorry, correction: some will be stuck, but I certainly won't. Because as soon as Hasbro drops the 3.75", I'm out of the game. I'll be done. Maybe not with collecting, maybe not with Star Wars, but certainly with collecting modern Star Wars figures.

Frank Herbert

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2019, 09:58:03 PM »

So I have not gotten the last few waves - should I be buying these online now or will they be showing up at retail ? The figures I mean are Wave 19,20,21,22, Guard Pack, Retro Figures, Skiff Ship.
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2019, 11:16:34 PM »

I don't think any of us knows what to expect. I think the next time we'll see anything new at retail will be Force Friday - and I have no idea what wave(s) will be on the pegs - likely bloody wave 1 of TVC.  :speechless-smiley-004:

If you have a line on the figures from the Jabba's Palace Wave, Luke on Crait/R2 wave, and whatever wave is coming after that (what wave IS coming after that????) I'd almost think it's time to order them.

EDITED: I'm hovering over the WalMart Jabba's Set with Han & Ree Yees (these are repacks, not new figures but come on vintage cards of course) for $100 US. Someone tell me no.  :(
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 12:00:13 AM by jjreason »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 173656
  • Total Topics: 14540
  • Online Today: 38
  • Online Ever: 536
  • (October 31, 2018, 08:32:38 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 26
Total: 27

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 45 queries.