Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2019, 06:44:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

29 Guests, 1 User
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My next project - Vintage Cardbacks  (Read 216 times)

dangerlinto

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
My next project - Vintage Cardbacks
« on: November 24, 2019, 10:18:33 PM »

Just thought I'd post what I'm working on next:

« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 11:22:04 PM by dangerlinto »

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile
Re: My next project - Vintage Cardbacks
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 04:56:03 PM »

Nice

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 11:07:29 PM »

Oh wow. I'm primarily an OT guy but Thrawn on a vintage card.... fantastico!

I still need to get some 6" ones from you... hopefully soon.

dangerlinto

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 10:55:40 PM »

OK so I'm moving along with these - I have a number of these lined up, and here is what I'm looking at - the front remains pretty much as you saw above, but instead of replicating the back with it's umpteen languages an copyrights and all that, I've taken a couple of leads from newer figures which show 10 figures and then the very first waves of Wintage Collection which showed the original figure packaging - though in this case I'll be showing the packaging of the figure I'm using.

So the back of Thrawn will look like this (never mind the colour bar and corner markings)

It's a nice way to pay homage to that design, plus know what figure is actually on the front. So far I have the figures to do these, so I've got their digital files ready

Ahsoka Tano (Rebels)
Baze Malbus
Bodhi Rook
Chirrut ╬mwe
Director Krennic
Ezra Bridger
General Hux
General Leia Organa
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Grand Inquisitor
K-2SO
Kanan Jarrus
Lobot
Maz Kanata
Padme Arena Battle
Sabine Wren

And by the way - now I know WHY they are so adverse to doing 6" figure on cards like this - apart from the blister logistics (which are considerable), getting hi-res enough photos that are the REPRODUCTIONS of the originals must be ridiculous hard.   I'm sure Lucasfilm has a digital asset file but it's possible the Kenner ones are lost to time. So NEWER pics - no problem.  Getting the older ones - so hard.

It's hard for me to find hi-res files.  So far I've gotten a bit lucky but also had to photoshop a LOT of the tops of these images. I can't imagine having to find and even higher res to fit on an 10" card and retain good resolution.

dangerlinto

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 09:19:00 AM »

So I couldn't really be happier with the way this turned out:

Here are some hi-res shots of Ahsoka - Rebels version

Ahsoka - Front
Ahsoka - Back
Ahsoka - Top/Down
Ahsoka - Bottom/Up

I've done several of these (8 so far) and they all look great.  Will have over 20 of these prepared so far,  just need to get some of the figures - some are on the way.

I will take some more photos, but I have several duplicates of some (Thrawn, Ezra, Kanan, Bodhi Rook, Chirrut) and I'll be considering selling some.

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 10:19:40 AM »

These are very nice.

dangerlinto

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 06:30:56 PM »

These are very nice.

Thanks!

I thought I'd throw in a comparison, although it's not perfect since the new figures have come out, and I haven't done any Rise of Skywalker figures (obv)  so I compared with the slightly older style

Some things I can fix:

• The white/silver "border" is a little brighter on mine.  I will darken it up a bit
  • The "4+" image on the top left is similar, but not quite what the newer cards have.  I can do that better
  • The small starburst on the bottom underneath the kenner logo is a bit too big.  I actually dunno how that happened - by accident I think. 
  • Their are some super-slight kerning issues with the lettering in some of the logos.
  • Turns out star wars cardbacks (Vintage ones) aren't exactly 6" wide.  I have to correct that because that 1/16 of an inch means that they don't fit in tight starcases!

Some things I can't (or won't fix)

• The bubbles are not the same - these are the bubbles I can get.
  • Turns out the rounded edges are some weird mm radius my 3 in 1 corner rounder doesn't have.  The one you see is closest
  • The cards are printed on two pieces of cardstock glued together, and I edge them with a black marker - otherwise you'd see the white on the edge - it's better this way.  Also I can't print on any thick cardstock becasue while it's possible, it's just not available to me.  Two 100lb cardstock put together is about the same thickness but has a different consistency than a regular card.
     Anyone I'm not going for repros here - I'm not likely to ever try and make a card for something that already has a vintage card.

Some other notes

• I could get the cards punched by a McGill Hand punch - The spot where it typically goes I've made sure doesn't get affected front or back.
  • The text on the back comes from the databank on Starwars.com - unless there is no databank entry (see Mara Jade).  In those cases, I'm going to wookiepedia
  • I REALLY like cutting out the trays of the figures and taping them to the inside of the bubble.  MUCH better than having them loose, I think, but if for example I didn't have the try I print up a with the card a piece of cardstock with the appropriate color to serve as that wedge some people use in customs to keep them from falling over. Haven't had to yet but I could
  • I'm looking to do probably 50 or so of these - it turns out there is a lot I want.  I will try to keep a running list of figure I hope to find in bargain bins at trade shows - it's nice card condition doesn't matter.

Anyway, at some point I'll make a master list.  I have 10 of 12 done right now (just waiting on the Grand Inquisitor and Mara Jade to arrive) and then I'll get photos on the next wave, which will star Padme in that sexy cut-off from the battle of Genosis scene

« Last Edit: Today at 11:34:36 AM by dangerlinto »

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Today at 09:53:55 AM »

I was wondering what material you used for the card backs. Whatever Hasbro is using now is really flimsy. I don't really like it. I wonder how Hasbro is going to produce figures in the future by not having any plastic packaging.

Very nice work overall. I would love to have the skills to be able to do that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 174381
  • Total Topics: 14563
  • Online Today: 55
  • Online Ever: 536
  • (October 31, 2018, 08:32:38 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 29
Total: 30

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 45 queries.