Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 18, 2020, 12:26:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

32 Guests, 2 Users

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: The Rise of Skywalker (BEWARE - SPOILERS)  (Read 1644 times)

jmac

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
The Rise of Skywalker (BEWARE - SPOILERS)
« on: December 14, 2019, 08:09:17 AM »

Iíll be at the 6:30 showing on December 19 with my sons. Anyone else going opening night? Iím thinking this movie will be pretty predictable since itís the last of the trilogy. My guess is that all of the heroes survive with the possible exception of Lando and Leia, since the sequel trilogy likes to kill of the original trilogy characters, and that Palpatine (if thatís really him) will be finally defeated. Kylo will probably turn good at the end and either die a heroic death or go into self imposed exile. I donít think itís possible that the First Order to be completely eliminated, just itís leadership. These are just completely guesses by the way. No spoilers!

EDITED: spoiler warning added. Have at it. - jj
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 12:45:12 AM by jjreason »

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Execute Order 67!!! Bring in the space horses!
    • View Profile
Re: The Rise of Skywalker
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 12:24:29 PM »

As someone who has read all the leaks, including the latest reshoots, I think fans will probably be okay with how this movie ends. 

As I said in the other thread, JJ wrote a modular script which allows him to make fixes (reshoots) to scenes that they later determine would anger fans and need to be revised.  And believe me, they made some stunning boneheaded storytelling mistakes in earlier versions of TROS that I feel have been somewhat corrected in the final cut.  It went from a shockingly bad story to an "okay, well it's no longer a flaming train wreck, it's just a bumper collision now."

Kylo's revised fate is far far better than what they originally planned.  Which is good, because I personally think of him as the protagonist of the sequels (because in terms of GOOD writing, the character who undergoes a trial, faces obstacles and slowly overcomes them while learning new things about themselves, is the character that you normally treat as the "hero" of the story).

The final cut of the movie definitely feels super-predictable, I will be shocked if anyone walks out of the theater and exclaims, "Wow! I didn't see THAT coming!" (in a positive way).  Honestly, you could skip watching the first 85% of the movie and just walk in for the final battle and denouement and you will not have any trouble following the story.  This movie is mostly just side-quests and time filler, leading up to the battle that you'd expect to see.

Disney is probably just hoping the movie is "safe" and not another TLJ (or in my case, TFA) that will permanently drive any remaining fans away from the franchise and buying SW merchandise, and that's what they've delivered.

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 04:32:47 PM »

Based on what I have heard from these forms, mainly napseeker, here is where I think it will rank on my list:

1) Star Wars
2) Empire Strikes Back
3) Return of the Jedi
4) Rogue One
5) Revenge of the Sith
6) The Phantom Menace
7) Attack of the Clones
8) Solo
9) The Rise of Skywalker
10) The Force of Awakens
11) The Last Jedi
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

bob

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 03:15:14 AM »

this had to been allowed to leak as much as it has. they know its in a bad place so why not try to build as much hype as possible.

the story seems ok. not great but ok.  only one part might be total cheese but i cant imagine they'd go that way with it.  will see what happens.

i prob will go opening night so i can avoid smaller things that i dont want spoiled plus i am excited to see it. its still SW.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • Hungry for some new TVC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 09:08:04 AM »

Still trying to be optimistic - I'm almost certain I'll enjoy the first viewing (as I always have). 6:40pm Thursday night, Kitchener Fairway cinemas. My son Thomas & I, one more time. This is the way.

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 10:47:17 AM »

I am seeing it Saturday morning so I aiming to stay away from the internet from the time it opens until I see it.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 10:56:50 AM »

The movie has now made its Hollywood debut (to a select, chosen group of audience members) as of last night.  Reactions seem to be mixed, no big surprise. I'll offer two quotes that range from the very positive to the not-so-positive.

Positive:
TROS is everything I wanted it to be - because there's never been a Star Wars movie like this before.It's dark and scary but hopeful and beautiful.

It ends the trilogy while also ending the saga as a whole.
I know I'm rambling but I worship this movie.

Negative:
At worst, I expected The Rise of Skywalker to be a well-made movie that I didn't like or whose story choices I disagreed with. I was not expecting a genuinely bad movie with videogame plotting, thin characters, weak action, and endless exposition of no consequence. Heartbreaking...

Me:
I'm binge-watching the Mandalorian again... whose with me?

And it looks like all of the leaks have proven to be true, and not misinformation spread by Disney. Anyone else who has been reading those leaks now knows in advance what kind of ending they can expect and can decide for themselves if they want to give Diznee their hard-earned cash or not.

bob

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The Rise of Skywalker (PLEASE NO SPOILERS FOR A LITTLE WHILE LONGER!!!)
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 12:38:14 PM »

i dont think im going to mind it but the one thing thats not good was character development. Rey doesnt have much of it. Poe did in the TLJ that sticks a bit more. Kylo Ren does i guess but that side of this trilogy feels empty. i know others have said that too.

PizzatheHutt

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 02:30:14 PM »

The movie has now made its Hollywood debut (to a select, chosen group of audience members) as of last night.  Reactions seem to be mixed, no big surprise. I'll offer two quotes that range from the very positive to the not-so-positive.

Positive:
TROS is everything I wanted it to be - because there's never been a Star Wars movie like this before.It's dark and scary but hopeful and beautiful.

It ends the trilogy while also ending the saga as a whole.
I know I'm rambling but I worship this movie.

Negative:
At worst, I expected The Rise of Skywalker to be a well-made movie that I didn't like or whose story choices I disagreed with. I was not expecting a genuinely bad movie with videogame plotting, thin characters, weak action, and endless exposition of no consequence. Heartbreaking...

Me:
I'm binge-watching the Mandalorian again... whose with me?

And it looks like all of the leaks have proven to be true, and not misinformation spread by Disney. Anyone else who has been reading those leaks now knows in advance what kind of ending they can expect and can decide for themselves if they want to give Diznee their hard-earned cash or not.

I'm with you, The Mandalorian is better than this entire ST.  Only way I will see TROS is if some die hard's really enjoy it and change my mind.
We have about a Ewok chance in a Rancor pit.
Formely Darth2002 from thee ancient boards Power of the Northside.
Who's the more foolish...The fool or the fool who follow's him.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2019, 08:08:27 PM »

I am seeing it Saturday morning so I aiming to stay away from the internet from the time it opens until I see it.

Definitely stay off the internet until you see the film.  People are tweeting to those who saw the film asking them questions and getting answers back.  Questions basically seem to revolve around "Who dies?", "How did Palpatine survive RotJ?" (that's a big one I'm sure), and whether Ben and Rey become a romantic couple... 

Keep in mind that some of the TROS cast members have already said that the film won't answer all of the fans' questions, and that's going to be frustrating to audience members. So far it does seem like one of the biggest questions people have is actually going to be totally ignored, possibly answered only later in some EU material like a Marvel comic book or novelization. (or never)

edit: wow, there's a certain faction of SW fans who've now gotten the answer to their question and are really, really, REALLY angry. Which is unexpected because I actually would've thought (and JJ probably also would've thought) that they would be somewhat happy with how it turned out. They are not. I totally understand why though.

Also worth noting that George Lucas conspicuously did not show up for the TROS premiere. Some people online say he was not invited to attend, but that's not confirmed. He could've been invited but declined to attend. Either way, that's a rather interesting development. 

There was a "Lucas cut" that scored the highest out of all the test screenings (88/100) but this cut was not the version that made it into the final cut, so if his input was again ignored despite the high test scores, he may have felt none too happy about it.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 09:19:30 PM by napseeker »

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • Hungry for some new TVC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2019, 10:38:26 AM »

I can see George being put out - when they come begging for help, and you answer the request.... only to have it ignored yet again must be slap in the fat bearded face. I wouldn't go either.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2019, 02:16:45 PM »

Reviews from official outlets are now appearing... the first one I found is from Entertainment Weekly:

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is the Force ghost version of a movie: Review
https://ew.com/movie-reviews/2019/12/18/star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-review/?

They give it a C, citing that JJ has run out of things to copy from the earlier SW films.

The Rise of Skywalkerí is here to remind you just how good ĎThe Last Jedií was
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2019-12-18/star-wars-review-the-rise-of-skywalker-last-jedi

The review seems to target Disney for playing it too safe, and says the company should find artists (i.e. not JJ abrams) to explore the SW mythology rather than design a movie via committee.

George Lucas may have a lot to answer for, including his mostly dreadful 1999-2003 prequel cycle, but itís hard not to admire his stubborn adherence to his own bizarre vision, rather than to some fan-tested, committee-approved notion of what a ďStar WarsĒ movie should be.

Rotten Tomatoes
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_the_rise_of_skywalker

Currently scoring only 57% based on 171 critic reviews. No audience score yet since obviously the film has not yet had its wide release. The audience score will be the real measure of whether fans like it... well, like it more than TLJ.

UPDATE: one day later it is holding at 57% with 267 critic reviews. If the paid-off shills for Disney aren't loving it (and they're supposed to, if they want to keep their press priviledges with Disney) then you know it's going to be a divisive movie.

For comparison, this puts TROS around the same critical rating as The Phantom Menace (critic rating of 53%). 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 05:24:12 PM by napseeker »

PizzatheHutt

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2019, 02:53:49 PM »

Well by all the youtube reviews the rumours are all true...So guess I will be skipping my first SW movie.   TFA was meh TLJ sucked & this movie sounds terrible as well.   Funny they can make a great tv series but have no idea how to write a movie.   Bring Favreau on for a new trilogy.
We have about a Ewok chance in a Rancor pit.
Formely Darth2002 from thee ancient boards Power of the Northside.
Who's the more foolish...The fool or the fool who follow's him.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2019, 05:45:27 PM »

Apparently a pirated version of TROS is already out on the internet!  Wow, that was fast... but then that's what happens when you debut the movie in China first, lol. They love pirating movies over there. Here's the comment from someone who saw the pirated copy:

Just saw it..it's out there, just so you know, as most of you do by now(no money for disney lol). it felts soulless and insulting (leave your brain in the fridge when you are going to watch this). I will try to forget all this mess. box my SW collection and put it in the closet. and will only remember and love the old trilogy.

Another person on Youtube noted that the movie has effectively bombed in China, which is NOT a surprise since the chinese hate "woke" north american movies and Star Wars has no nostalgia over there to sucker in the crowds like it did with TFA here in N. America:

The Rise of Skywalker has bombed in China - it'll end at around $23 million according to estimates which is 50% lower than The Last Jedi. Also, its opening-day in Germany was lower than TLJ, in France it was the lowest opening of a Star Wars film since 1983  - and lastly (and my favourite), Joker had a higher opening-day in Italy than The Rise of Skywalker

cash_fan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Tell that to Kanjiklub
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2019, 07:07:49 PM »

Looking forward to going to it tonight.  My girls are 12 & 13 and this is probably the last time I can force them to come to one.  I've been spoiler free so far and had to quit reading napseekers posts in this thread.  Just here to celebrate what I love.
Cash fan, as in Johnny Cash
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 174647
  • Total Topics: 14576
  • Online Today: 91
  • Online Ever: 536
  • (October 31, 2018, 08:32:38 AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 32
Total: 34

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 45 queries.