Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2020, 05:12:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

150 Guests, 3 Users

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone else kinda bummed there's so little merch for Rise of Skywalker?  (Read 3159 times)

bm459

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Orleans, ON
    • View Profile

I already got all the figures I wanted weeks ago. No basic figure line. No vehicles. It's kinda boring.

Anyone else feeling let down?

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else kinda bummed there's so little merch for Rise of Skywalker?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 11:53:06 AM »

I really think Disney knew they had a potential turd on their hands months ago & reined back hard on supporting merch. The no new toys is super painful.  :(

skywalker1973

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 02:10:41 PM »

I would like there to be more 3.75" vintage stuff but I do realize we've got 4 vehicles on the shelves at the moment (atst, skiff, 2 XWings) and a wave of figures so it could be worse.
I liked ep9 so I'm hoping there's more stuff in the works.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 02:19:51 PM »

Wedge you're right- more out than I was giving credit for.... but I think more needs to hit when the movie hits. It's like they have no confidence in the fan reaction when they want us to buy everything before we see the movie.

DroidWorld

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
  • My joints are frozen up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 02:50:26 PM »

What little they (Hasbro)  have is stellar though.  Poe’s X-Wing, Vintage and Black Series figures with photoreal. I even like the Galaxy of Adventure style now.  The world is a different place today. I’m sure more from TROS will trickle out for years, but Hasbro may not retain the Star Wars license and they WAY over-produced for he last two.  It took twenty to forty years to get some of the obscure backgrounders from the original trilogy. I doubt we will get any from the recent films.

jmac

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 03:02:13 PM »

I already got all the figures I wanted weeks ago. No basic figure line. No vehicles. It's kinda boring.

Exactly my feelings. I only collect 3 3/4, and it’s strange to have a new movie in theaters with hardly any figures from the movie in stores. Not only did Hasbro neglect make most of the main characters, but there is no local store here that stocks the vintage collection, not even Wal-Mart. I hope lots of new figures from this movie are coming, but I’m not feeling very optimistic about it.

bob

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 03:42:28 PM »

TVC is mostly repacks. so ya, they wont be making too many new characters.  im honestly bummed the 5POA line is toast. i mean they could of at least finished it off for the trilogy even if it was done in lower numbers. thats just mean and weird. collectors did want it out which was bad karma! ah well.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Execute Order 67!!! Bring in the space horses!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 04:24:24 PM »

Considering the huge, insane lots of unsold SW merchandise from TFA, TLJ, Solo, and Rogue One that is rotting away at both regular and discount retailers across the world, Hasbro would've been insane to put much investment into any toys for TROS.  The SW stuff is not selling, and retailers don't want to carry it because it'll all just end up on clearance anyway. 

Hasbro's already taken big losses on what merchandise they did produce for the last 4 films, plus they're paying huge royalties to Disney (far more than what they likely paid to Lucasfilm prior to the Disney buyout) so why bother?  Their profit margins are probably so thin now that they've chosen to focus on developing their own intellectual property to produce toys from, OR they're buying up existing popular franchises like Power Rangers (and by owning them, they don't pay royalties to anyone). 

It's obvious that Hasbro feels burned by the SW situation as much as we do; high royalties charged by Disney increase Hasbro's production costs, while at the same time Walmart is demanding that the SW toys must hit specific pricepoints and not go over that (otherwise parents will deem the toys too expensive and skip them) Hasbro's caught in the middle. Exactly why their toys have so many repacks and are far cheaper quality now than during the pre-Disney era... the only way Hasbro can maintain decent profit margins is by cheapening out on the product itself.

No matter what reassurances they give us now, there is a real possibility that someday Hasbro will simply deem the SW license to be too costly, too resource-intensive, and not worth the trouble. You can bet that if their planned Hasbro cinematic universe takes off (GI Joe, Transformers, Micronauts, etc) they will bid a fond farewell to SW and stick to only properties that they own and don't have to bow down any more to some external money-hungry film studio. Disney needs to understand that they've been far too greedy and need to lower those royalty rates so that we can go back to 2012 pricepoints (TVC for $10 to $12, not $17.99!!!)

bm459

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Orleans, ON
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2019, 09:20:46 PM »

You're right. Over-produced toys for the last few films, but I would have been happy with a half dozen Vintage Collection figures released on Dec 20 to coincide with the movie. Just feels weird to me to have nothing to buy at all for a new movie.

I suppose it'll be like this until Hasbro loses the license

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 12:14:37 PM »

We've been told by Hasbro that 70% of the merchandise would not be revealed or put on the stores shelves before the movie was released, in order to avoid spoilers.

My guess is that we will see a lot of new stuff coming out in February, around Toy Fair. It's obvious that some characters were impacted by this decision not to spoil the movie for viewers and fans.

That being said, with the first weekend movie results in (which honestly I don't care much about), it could be that Hasbro/Disney will want to reduce the toy offering to prevent clogging of the store pegs. I'm sure they'll want to review their initial plans based on these results. But I hope not... because I really want my...
SPOILERS AHEAD!!!
SPOILERS! BE WARNED!!!
SPOILERS!!! LAST WARNING! YOU MAY WANT TO GO BACK HOME AND RETHINK YOUR LIFE!
... Pommet Warwick, son of Wicket Warwick, Ewok hero of the Rebellion during the Fall of the Empire. :)
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2019, 09:44:15 AM »

I am also bummed there weren't any toys for TROS. I did pick up a second skiff on an Amazon sale that wasn't too bad. Other than that it has been disappointing. Easier on my wallet though.

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 09:03:21 PM »

Meh, I enjoyed the movie despite the many issues I have with it, but have no desire to collect anything from it. I picked up Zori Bliss because she looks very star warsy, and gives me one figure to represent that film on a vintage card.

So the lack of merchandise for the new film is a non issue for me.

If I am disappointed in anything, it's because in the past when there was a big push for a new movie, the franchise overall would get another shot in the arm, and the trickle down effect six months later was a nice influx of OT stuff. I don't see that happening this time. Actual new OT 3.75 figures are pretty much non existent now, sad but true. But I've said it many times, if the line died today, I'm beyond thrilled with all the amazing stuff I've gotten over the years. We have a ridiculous number of unique figures and characters which no other franchise can even come close to matching. It just feels times are a changin, and the wonderful ride is slowing to a halt. Time will tell.

cmkjmacd

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • You must unlearn what you have learned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2020, 11:51:07 AM »

Things have become very expensive for what is out there. $18 for Vintage Line. Yea No. and vehicle prices are high. Kinda hard to support the lines when stuff is getting expensive.

old man ben

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • "Born to Collect!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2020, 01:35:52 PM »

I have a feeling it’s going to get worse.  Six Inch Black Series are going up by 10% to $32.99.   This might mean $20 Vintage figures?

Mandalore1988

• Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2020, 03:03:04 PM »

I have a feeling it’s going to get worse.  Six Inch Black Series are going up by 10% to $32.99.   This might mean $20 Vintage figures?

It could happen. Since the price of 5" GOA also increased at Walmart. I'm surprised TRU hasn't changed the prices yet. Maybe it's only Walmart. For now anyways.

:fett:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 174118
  • Total Topics: 14420
  • Online Today: 166
  • Online Ever: 755
  • (January 23, 2020, 04:54:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 150
Total: 153

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 45 queries.