Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2020, 05:47:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

147 Guests, 1 User

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The next HasLab project  (Read 2369 times)

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: The next HasLab project
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2020, 09:49:25 PM »

Cost & space were very real factors. I didn't back the barge because there was simply nowhere I could think to put it, as much as I would have loved to have gotten one just on principle alone. It wasn't for everyone. Finding a space for this Sentinel in a collection of 6" figures is about like finding space for your vintage Falcon - nowhere near as daunting - and it's about half the cost if not less.

For arguments sake, if the HasLab project had been the 6" Snowspeeder with Dak or a Bacta Tank set with the medical droids & diaper Luke for $350, I would suggest it would have been backed just as quickly as the Sentinel.

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2020, 10:23:13 PM »

I'd also say that, if we're being really honest, the barge is kind of a niche vehicle even within the Star Wars universe. For those of us who are hardcore collectors of Jabba's Court Denizens, it's a no-brainer. But for the rest of the collectors, and even Star Wars fans in general, I'd put it pretty low on the list of iconic vehicles. I agree with JJ re: the Snowspeeder, etc, though it being in the 6" scale might have hurt that too.

In contrast, the Sentinels are one of, if not THE iconic "big figure" that Marvel collectors and fans think of - possibly second only to Galactus. And within the Marvel Legends collecting community, the X-men have a very dedicated, hardcore collecting fanbase. I'm sure there are many who have ordered multiples, not as a resale investment like those who bought multiple barges, but to actually keep and display. And the add-on incentives only make that even more likely. I went from likely ordering just one, to seriously contemplating how I could make 3 happen now that there are the different heads.

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2020, 12:20:11 PM »

I completely understand the argument of space constraints, niche product (although not that niche considering that the Jabba/Sarlacc scenes take about 1/3 of the ROTJ movie), and maybe pricing as well. But honestly, for 500$, this was a real bargain considering the product once you have it in hands. It's clearly the most well-done and detailed product Hasbro made for Star Wars to date. There's no way anyone could justify the Barge not being at least 50% more than a 300$ Falcon or 5 times a Disney Jawa Sandcrawler. No way. This is a masterpiece.

What I don't understand is rather people whining that we do not get enough products, signing a petition to request more, and then who will most probably back up when asked to back the new Haslab, whatever it is. I mean, for me the lack of coherence is what will most probably have the next campaign failing.

I've been in this game long enough (since 1996) to see that the SW Community has sadly become one mostly seeking bargains, clearance sales, and trying to not to pay the product at the original price. That's almost all we see: store reports of sales, mail call with low prices, etc. etc. I do appreciate people trying to save money, but then these people shouldn't complain that the 3.75" line is almost dead...

That behavior is what kills the line nowadays, because Hasbro not seeing the profits margins they expect for this line will most likely results in them axing the line for good. I respect the decision of people passing on a product due to pricing, but then again, why complain and whine about Hasbro not offering enough if you don't intend to buy? That's what I see all over social media nowadays. Personally, if I were not planning to buy the products they offer us, I would certainly not sign a petition, and furthermore would never complain about Hasbro. I would stay low...

But it's just me. Maybe I'm getting too old to see kids whining all the time. Yeah, that could be it...   :-\

« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 12:22:06 PM by JediPatrick »
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2020, 01:22:11 PM »

For myself I find myself not being a deal seeker .  What I want is the product to arrive in good condition and not to have to run around to several different stores to get an item.  So the next 2 waves I have ordered from Dorkside in a full case, that will hopefully arrive in great condition .  If a deal comes up, I will take advantage of it, but I am willing to make a purchase at full price to save time and energy.   I am tried of competing for the same limited supply of product which fellow collectors and scalpers are trying to get. 
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

old man ben

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • "Born to Collect!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2020, 02:11:04 PM »

I have to say, I agree with Canadian Jedi.  I will gladly pick up a deal if I find one, but I will happily pre-order to get the products I want with the least amount of hassle - no running around to dozens of stores only to find nearly empty pegs.

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2020, 02:29:33 PM »

Same here. I'm happy to take advantage of a sale, but most of what I buy now is pre-ordered at regular price. I have no time to chase things down only to miss out on them anyways.

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2020, 04:04:17 PM »

Ha I'm notoriously a cheapskate on certain things. Collecting included. I always was one to take advantage of sales. To the point of price adjustments and planning around sales. Product was so frequent, and as difficult as certain waves were to get, the vast majority could be found on sale. And TRU had constant cycles of sales, they conditioned us to the point where the sale price was the real price. That was the business model on a line that was massive and perpetually available and selling successfully. I don't blame collectors for expecting sales and not being willing to pay full price. For a long time that was the norm.

While I think TRU and even Hasbro are partially to blame for setting the market the way it was, collectors need to recalibrate their expectations. We're in a new era now. Finding stuff at regular price is hard enough let alone on sale. So I also have started preordering from Dorkside and Amazon. I pay more but buy less so it's a little less painful. And I don't have to run around and waste my time and money on gas.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2020, 12:18:05 AM »

The stores receiving brand new figures & putting them out at clearance prices because they're finally dumping last years figures provides the opportunity for folks to get deals too & you cant blame the collectors for that. That's retail not understanding their product well enough -or not caring about making any money off it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 174118
  • Total Topics: 14420
  • Online Today: 166
  • Online Ever: 755
  • (January 23, 2020, 04:54:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 147
Total: 148

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 44 queries.