Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2020, 06:55:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

188 Guests, 3 Users

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The next HasLab project  (Read 2150 times)

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Execute Order 67!!! Bring in the space horses!
    • View Profile
The next HasLab project
« on: March 02, 2020, 04:09:40 PM »

The next HasLab looks like it will NOT be Star Wars, which is a shame (but not surprising, I'm sure Hasbro wasn't going to do any work on Star Wars in case they didn't renew their licensing deal with Disney at a lower royalty rate).

Instead Haslab will be Marvel Legends of some kind... see here at the hint:

https://hasbropulse.com/blogs/unboxed/marvel-legends-haslab-coming-soon

My guess would be a full 6-inch scale Galactus or Sentinel.

66jedikiller66

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: The next HasLab project
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 04:30:26 PM »

Sentinel.
The hint had a Danger Room feel.
They showed Jubilee as the Mutant detected.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 07:07:25 PM »

I would have to agree with the Sentinel - they already have molds to get started if they want to reuse them. Jubes looks amazing in that little snippet too, wow.

dangerlinto

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 09:42:14 PM »

Umm yeah that's a Sentinel for sure.

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 10:48:13 PM »

Depending how this turns out, I'll probably get it. I have the old Toybiz build-a-figure Sentinel, which looks awesome but isn't really 6" scale. Didn't pick up either of the 3.75" scaled releases that Hasbro made - I didn't like the style as much. As a Haslab project, I gotta assume it's gonna be bigger than the previous releases, something a little closer to being in scale with the 6" figures so it can hold one in it's hand. I just hope it doesn't cost as much as the Barge or Unicron did!

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 10:03:18 AM »

As much as I would love to see a new Star Wars project it does make sense they tap the Marvel well. The Marvel Legends line seems to do really well.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 11:01:02 PM »

It would be interesting if this turned out to be not a typical Sentinel, but Master Mold himself...  they'd likely get the MarvelU collectors (what few are left) to also sign up.

What's not so good... the possibility that the recently shown-off Nimrod might be part of the Haslab as an incentive item. It's definitely not a BaF which Hasbro has confirmed.

https://marvelousnews.com/252-26570

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 11:45:39 PM »

Oh man, Master Mold would be awesome and something that definitely could only be done as a Haslab project.

I don't think Nimrod would be tied in as an incentive... I think too many collectors would be up in arms. Speculation is that he will be a "deluxe" sized release. If they do include an incentive, they might do one of the X-men (Jubilee? Or how about Trask?). Or maybe an alternate version of Nimrod (the classic head version that they mentioned?) Probably take a page out of the Barge playbook and put whatever the figure is on Retro cardback.

Either way, there's a pretty good chance I'm on board with this.

EDIT: Reading through the comments on that Marvelous News link... I don't think most people quite grasp the concept of what Haslab is meant for, and just how much their projects tend to cost. One person said they can't see Haslab making something that would just be a one-off and never sell the mold again. Hello?! That's exactly the point of Haslab!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 12:00:47 AM by Wedge1021 »

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 03:10:42 PM »

Hasbro has revealed, not to anyone's surprise, that the Marvel Legends Haslab is indeed the Sentinel. 

https://hasbropulse.com/products/x-men-legends-marvel-s-sentinel

I'm both disappointed and relieved at the same time.  It's the House of X design, which I don't really care for, so I won't be backing it, and thus I'm relieved because I can now save up for the forthcoming Star Wars Haslab annoucement :-)

They need 6000 backers and at the time of this writing, are already at almost 2900. I note that the cost for a Canadian to buy this will likely be in the $500CAN to $600CAN range, so definitely not cheap, but also not quite in Jabba Sail Barge territory either.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2020, 09:57:04 PM »

Little bit of a New X-Men Marc Silvestri look to it. Not bad, but I haven't been into Marvel Legends for a long time so this is an easy pass.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 07:50:10 PM »

Wow, the Sentinel is now backed!  Talk about getting it done at record-breaking speed! The Barge sure didn't have anywhere as easy a time as the Sentinel did.

Hasbro has offered a look at the bonus that backers will get if it reaches 7000 pre-orders:  a very cool alternate head that turns the sentinel into Master Mold. Yikes!  :love0030:

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2020, 08:14:13 PM »

As a near-40-year X-Men fan, I do have to say this is completely awesome!

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2020, 08:32:37 PM »

Oh my, well that was also very fast.  There are now 7000 backers, which means the first tier is already unlocked and folks will get their Master Mold head too. 

Do we get his massive chair if it hits 8000 backers?

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2020, 11:02:51 AM »

This is awesome news for the Marvel Legends fans and collectors. It just shows how much the fans are dedicated to this toy line and what they're willing to do to make sure it sustains itself, by backing projects instead of whining about pricing, size, etc. Is it really worth 350$? No. Is it comparable to the level of details and complexity of the Barge? Absolutely not. But they backed it. In less than 1 day. And within 2 days, they will have reached 8000 backers, something the Barge needed 45 days to do... and with some huge incentive by Hasbro to their own employees within the last few days to back the campaign (I think they were given a very substantial rebate).

This is what the SW community lacks. Even during the Barge campaign, I've seen so many people arguing the ship was too expensive, that Hasbro wanted to rip us off, that Hasbro shouldn't be asking for people to fund a project, that they're already rich enough to produce it themselves and taking the risk of not selling it.

And we will obviously see the same whining when the next Haslab project will hit next month for TVC line. I guarantee you that they'll be a lot of people saying it's too expensive, not cool enough, missing some things, not movie accurate, not enough bonus pieces, etc. etc. I'm 100% sure backing will not be as swift as this Marvel Sentinel. 1 day to fully fund the project is outstanding. And it's way above the level of commitment I've seen from the SW community lately, one that is always looking for bargains and clearance sales to buy new stuff.

I'd like to say it's time to WALK THE TALK. That people have signed a petition for more TVC product, that's great, but now is the time to prove your commitment and interest to keep the line alive. But I'm quite fed up with the general attitude of the SW community. Everything Hasbro release for this line gets criticized...

If this next campaign ever was to fail, I honestly don't think SW collectors would deserve any more attention from Hasbro, and that they should kill the TVC line for good. It'll be the best way to save money, much more than waiting for clearance sales and bargains.

Sorry for being pessimistic, but comparing both collectors community, the response they receive for each campaign, is not helping to calm me and being hopeful...
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2020, 03:43:33 PM »

As a star wars fan who has no interest in this item it really is an eye opener on the current market. I've always thought of SW as an amazing juggernaut of a brand but in recent years that reputation seems to have shifted to the marvel franchise. To sell that many that quickly for what looks to me like a giant doll is amazing. A nice doll with some gizmos but it does seem overpriced.

The barge was a struggle and I understand why. It was very expensive and it was freakin huge! Not everyone has room for such an item. But I do wish it would have sold faster and the success of this marvel doll makes me wonder why it didn't sell quicker. Perhaps the marvel market isn't as fractured as the SW market. Or maybe SW fans have been spoiled for too long and have higher expectations/standards. I dunno.

As for the next haslab, I have been wanting more vintage but if it's the rumoured razorcrest, I'll be passing on it. If it's  a large item and it's not OT I will pass. My money is where my mouth is as I've always been an OT first person. So I'm a good example of the fracturing of the SW market.

I wish they would use haslab for more affordable things like figure sets of aliens or a bunch of missing original 96 or something. Or small connectible playsets. It seems to me like there are lots of things collectors want that Hasbro is afraid to bring to market. That's what haslab should be for not just for large items. No matter what it is, it will feel overpriced compared to the old days. We were massively spoiled over the years. But a few smaller more affordable items done more frequently would be nice.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 174008
  • Total Topics: 14416
  • Online Today: 234
  • Online Ever: 755
  • (January 23, 2020, 04:54:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 188
Total: 191

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 45 queries.