Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 03, 2020, 10:05:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

196 Guests, 2 Users

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Outbreak! (Coronavirus discussion)  (Read 5206 times)

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
Re: Outbreak! (Coronavirus discussion)
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2020, 12:44:55 PM »

10 DAYS OF QUARANTINE REALIZATIONS & DAILY NEWS

•   DAY 1:  I don't think anyone expected that when we changed the clocks we'd go from Standard Time to the Twilight Zone

•   DAY 2: Half of us are going to come out of this quarantine as amazing cooks. The other half will come out with a drinking problem.

•   DAY 3: I used to spin that toilet paper like I was on Wheel of Fortune. Now I turn it like I'm cracking a safe.

•   DAY 4: Homeschooling is going well. 2 students suspended for fighting and 1 teacher fired for drinking on the job.

•   DAY 5: This morning I saw a neighbour talking to her cat. It was obvious she thought her cat understood her. I came into my house, told my dog..... we laughed a lot.

•   Day 6: Saw this virtual restaurant called THE KITCHEN. You have to gather all the ingredients and make your own meal. I have no clue how this place is still in business.

•   DAY 7: I'm so excited --- it's time to take out the garbage. What should I wear?

•   DAY 8: I hope the weather is good tomorrow for my trip to Puerto Backyarda. I'm getting tired of Los Livingroom.

•   DAY 9: Just read a Classified Ad: Single man with toilet paper seeks woman with hand sanitizer for good clean fun.

•   Day 10:  Homeschooling Results: My child just said "I hope I don't have the same teacher next year".... I'm offended.
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

Bespin-81

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
  • Ash for the win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2020, 02:14:07 PM »

THIS.   IS.  FANTASTIC.

Simply hilarious! 

Had to comment to say thanks for posting!

While I'm at it, thank you napseeker for the situation updates.  I've been following.

Keep safe and such

old man ben

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • "Born to Collect!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2020, 05:35:14 PM »

Thanks for posting this.  We need to have a few giggles.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Execute Order 67!!! Bring in the space horses!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2020, 10:23:52 AM »

While I'm at it, thank you napseeker for the situation updates.  I've been following.

Thanks Bespin-81.  Always good to know someone is getting some use from the news.

Here's a fascinating heat map that depicts where the cases of infected are showing up around the world (posted on Breakfast Television this morning).

In a bit of offbeat virus news:

- much of the world is on lockdown, and police in South Africa (where there is a ban on public gatherings) went to a wedding that was being held this weekend and arrested the bride, the groom, the pastor, and all 50 guests. Hauled them down to the station and will be charged on Monday.  And in Argentina, a man was stopped by police because he was riding around in his motorcycle while wearing a purple Barney the Dinosaur costume. He initially told cops that he was a children's entertainer on his way to a party but eventually confessed that the costume was an alibi and that he was actually on his way to visit his girlfriend. NOTE that his alibi is dumb since he would've been arrested anyway for risking the lives of children.

- new research from Harvard says that social distancing could be a part of our lives for another 2 more years, until 2022!  The study says that the best way to beat COVID-19 will involve staggered stages of physical distancing, allowing immunity to take hold within the population. Without any other interventions it could be necessary for 2 more years. The study was looking at the problem that while physical distancing is an effective strategy, it also means people who aren't being exposed don't develop any immunities so that once the lockdown is halted, the virus could spread again.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • Gathering dust awaiting new figures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2020, 02:30:28 PM »

They've been talking about an almost certain second wave for the last couple of weeks. I foresee people being more conscious of social distancing as thing moving forward.... forever.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2020, 11:09:53 PM »

And now the news for Wed Apr 8 2020:

- more than 88,000 deaths worldwide, with 1.5 million cases. Germany now becoming the 5th country to top 100,000 cases and has more than 1000 dead. The US still has the world's most cases.

- in the US, African-Americans seem to be dying at a higher rate than other Americans.

- after being on lockdown for 76 days (since Jan 23rd), the restrictions in Wuhan are finally being lifted, with people allowed to leave the city and go to work again so long as they are not infected. Both trains and airports are open again. Most residents are still being told to stay home unless they have gov approval to go back to work. They need a health check to prove that they are healthy. So the streets are still relatively empty and people are still on high alert for contracting the virus. Wuhan has reported only 2 new positive cases in the last 2 weeks.

- the UK has had its deadliest day so far: 938 new deaths; the UK currently has 60,000 positive cases and 7097 deaths.
- the British PM Boris Johnson, remains in intensive care and is being given oxygen but is not on a ventilator. His condition is said to be improving.
- Spain saw another 757 deaths, while France reported 541 deaths.

- Paris is banning outdoor exercise during the day after too many people went out during this weekend's warm weather.  The streets are now virtually empty.

- a newborn dies after severe COVID-19 case forces the mother to deliver nearly 4 months early

- Twitter founder Jack Dorsey is donating $1 billion US to pandemic research

- US records its highest ever daily deaths, more than 1800 new deaths yesterday for a total of 13,000. The country has 399,929 confirmed cases.
- in New York: nearly 20% of uniformed NYPD are out sick and 12 have died from the virus. Only half of the subways were running due to a shortage of workers. New York reported 779 new deaths, a record number for the second day in a row. More than 6200 have died in NY state. But the good news is that the governor reports social distancing IS flattening the curve of infection.

- in EU, its top scientist resigns criticizing the EU's handling of the outbreak

- Canada has almost 20,000 cases; 10,031 in Quebec, 5289 in Ont, 1291 in BC, and 1373 in AB.

- 550 new cases in Ontario for a total of 4700 cases; and 21 new deaths for a total of 153 deaths. This is the highest spike yet for the province.
- Ontario hospitals being asked not to throw out used face masks, in case they can later be cleaned and reused again

- Toronto is recalling more than 62,000 face masks, deemed defective a week after they were handed out to long-term care homes. Reports were that they would rip or tear after being taken out of their packaging. The masks were made in China and the cost of $200,000 will be refunded.

- Quebec projects up to 8660 deaths
- Alberta expects 25% unemployment as the price of oil may go into negative territory.

- what items did people "panic buy" in March?  Stats Canada organized them by category:

DRY and CANNED GOODS
1. rice, up 239% in March over last year
2. pasta, up 205%
3. canned vegetables, up 180%
4. flour, up 179%  (because everyone seems to be baking bread during their isolation!)
5. canned fish and meat, up 169%

FRESH and FROZEN FOODS
1. frozen vegetables, up 129%
2. frozen fruit, up 117%
3. frozen potatoes, up 65%
4. eggs, up 63%
5. frozen fish, up 55%

HOUSEHOLD PRODUCTS
1. Hand sanitizers, up 639%  (I have my suspicions that a chunk of this spike is due to scumbag scalpers)
2. masks & gloves, up 377%
3. facial tissues, up 253%
4. bathroom tissues, up 241%
5. personal wipes, up 231%
6. cold remedies, up 226%

- the amount of air travel now happening is equivalent to the dawn of the airline age, in the 1960s.
- in Toronto, thieves are targeting closed stores, robbing them of cash and merchandise, and ransacking the inside of the stores, generating thousands in damage. 39% of Canadian small businesses are worried that they will have to permanently close even once the crisis is over.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • Gathering dust awaiting new figures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2020, 09:46:46 AM »

As a country we seem to be staying fairly consistent with approximately 1000 new confirmed cases per day. Obviously this is due to the amount of tests being done & processed more than it is the actual rate of virus spread, but I'm trying to see the positives.

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2020, 11:48:58 AM »

Have a nice weekend my friends. It will be a bit weird for some of us not getting together with family but we can always plan for something at a later date.
The Easter Bunny still plans on showing up on my house, so the kids will be happy.

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2020, 09:36:52 PM »

As a country we seem to be staying fairly consistent with approximately 1000 new confirmed cases per day. Obviously this is due to the amount of tests being done & processed more than it is the actual rate of virus spread, but I'm trying to see the positives.

I read an article the other day (can't remember where anymore) where they talked to some statistician type expert. He said the numbers to focus on as a gauge of how things are progressing is the # of hospitalizations and the # of deaths. We cannot use the # of confirmed cases or the # of recoveries as a good primary indicator, as those are based on incomplete data due to the low amount of testing; there's likely many more cases that go unrecorded. We know for sure though that the hospitalizations and deaths are basically all of their types that are COVID-related. I would say even the # of hospitalizations would be the best indicator or whether the curve is flattening or not, as the # of deaths could be affected by age of the patient, quality of care, overworking of the hospital system, etc. Unfortunately that seems to be the number that is reported on the least in the media.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2020, 10:48:38 AM »

Thur Apr 9 2020:
- 1.59 million positive cases, and more than 95,000 deaths worldwide

- in the UK: greater Manchester Police warning after 660 parties shut down. “That included 494 house parties - some with DJs, fireworks and bouncy castles - and 166 street parties.”  The country reported 881 new deaths. It may see 65,000 deaths by August.
- the 55-year old British PM is now out of the ICU.

- New York seeing a record-breaking number of deaths for the 3rd day in a row: 799
- New York City is burying any unclaimed coronavirus victims in mass graves in its potter’s field on Hart Island

- Canada has 19,805 cases, 509 deaths.
- Ontario has 5,759 cases, 200 deaths.
- Quebec reported 41 new deaths, raising the total to 216 deaths

- Ottawa releases its projections on the outbreak: anywhere from 11,000 to 22,000 Canadians could die from the virus in a best case/expected scenario.depending on how many people work together to stop the spread.  If Canadians did nothing, the projections are that 80% of the country would become infected and 300,000 would die. Trudeau comments that there will be no way to safely resume life as normal, and that this will be the new normal until a vaccine is developed.

- people who claim they have COVID-19 have been deliberately coughing on police (NOTE: the police have my permission to beat these people senseless with batons)

- March 2020 job losses in Canada: 1,011,000; the unemployment rate rose from 2.2% to 7.8%
- in Ontario, job losses were 403,000 and the unemployment rate rose from 2.1% to 7.6%
- there are few jobs in the service industry unless you want to deliver food.
- Beck Taxi says that its business is down 75%, with many of its taxis still parked in the parking lot since March 15th

- 16.8 million (1 in 10) American workers have lost their jobs in the last 3 weeks; it may rise to more than 20 million by the end of April.
- 6.6 million Americans filed for unemployment insurance last week
- 13% of Americans are now out of work, the most since the Great Depression

- long line-ups of people at grocery stores, Walmarts, etc. due to the Easter long weekend.

- a Toronto ER nurse, Katherine Cheung, has posted after she was spat on and verbally abused by a passerby while walking on the street. She is asian and believes it was a racist attack due to the virus outbreak.

- both Air Canada and WestJet will now use Ottawa's wage subsidy program to re-hire many of the workers that they laid off, even though most of them won't be doing any actual work.

- stock markets seem to be recovering this week and looking past the epidemic, the DOW was up 12% this week.

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2020, 12:35:17 AM »

" both Air Canada and WestJet will now use Ottawa's wage subsidy program to re-hire many of the workers that they laid off, even though most of them won't be doing any actual work."

In I believe Sweden, they retrained the airline people and had them start working in all the retirement homes.   They have people skills and basic medical training.   

We could re-train the airline industry to do this. The people in the health care services will need additional help.   We can't make these people Doctors or Nurses but we can make the jobs of the Doctors and Nurses easier by helping them with the things in their jobs that do not require special knowledge or training.   

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2020, 03:07:09 AM »

I think that's a great idea although I wonder if the government even has enough PPE to outfit the airline workers once they were retrained. The last thing anyone wants is for the workers to infect the elderly or vice-versa.

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2020, 09:17:13 AM »

I think in about 1 month we will have ramped up Canadian production .  In the meantime everyone can be retrained while they are at home via video.

Another idea is to have Airline workers and other workers step into the seasonal worker roles that Canadian Farms are trying to bring people outside of our country into the country to do.  Why are we bringing in people to plant our food when we have people unemployed.  It is very easy to social distance on a big farm . 

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2020, 12:20:23 PM »

Why are we bringing in people to plant our food when we have people unemployed.  It is very easy to social distance on a big farm .

Most people aren't willing to do the hours and labour involved, and the compensation isn't very high either.

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2020, 06:56:55 PM »

Hi wedge :  what I mean is instead of having people get money for not doing anything .  We give them the money they qualify for under the 75/25 split but as a condition they work in the health care industry and farms or were ever they are able to help .   We also do not have to have them working 40 hour weeks , they could work 20 hour weeks or work every other full time week.  What ever makes the most sense for the farm.   Anyone who has never worked on a farm would learn a great deal and appreciate more the food on their table .
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 09:10:44 PM by Canadian Jedi »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 175368
  • Total Topics: 14604
  • Online Today: 259
  • Online Ever: 755
  • (January 23, 2020, 04:54:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 196
Total: 198

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 44 queries.