Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 03, 2020, 09:46:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

178 Guests, 2 Users

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Outbreak! (Coronavirus discussion)  (Read 5204 times)

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • Gathering dust awaiting new figures.
    • View Profile
Re: Outbreak! (Coronavirus discussion)
« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2020, 09:44:36 AM »

And the right wingers are now trying to laugh it off as sarcasm saying only the left would be so dumb as to take him seriously...... ok, guys. Whatever makes you happy.  :speechless-smiley-004:

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Execute Order 67!!! Bring in the space horses!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2020, 07:21:59 PM »

It's pretty obvious that Trump has no grasp of even basic science...  I almost wonder if his unfamiliarity with the toxicity of disinfectants has to do with him being born with a silver spoon in his mouth, and never having to actually CLEAN anything himself his entire life.  He probably has had maids and servants do all the cleaning, so he's literally unaware of disinfectants being poisonous.

Of course, what's even scarier is that this is his SECOND time making this kind of an idiotic suggestion to his followers, with the first time being the anti-malaria drug that led to one death and another serious hospitalization.  The newscasts of his press conferences literally should have a banner underneath the videofeed with a disclaimer: "Don't listen to anything I say when it comes to medical advice. My advice will literally KILL you.  I am the man that you elected to lead the most powerful country in the world. Elect someone else (smarter) next time."

And now the COVID-19 news from the last few days:

- there are currently 2.9 million positive cases worldwide, and more than 202,000 deaths
- in Canada, there are 45,000 confirmed cases and 2,500 deaths

- the USA continues to have the highest number of positive cases, at 950,000. The total number of deaths so far is 54,000. Several states are actually easing social distancing restrictions but luckily most Americans still feel that it is safer to stay at home.
- random testing in New York suggests there may be 2.7 million more infected than the official tally

- Spain has the 2nd highest number of positive cases in the world, at 220,000; for the first time since the late 1970s, Spain has called off the annual July bull run, which usually draws in thousands of attendees.

- in Germany, Oktoberfest has been cancelled; the event typically draws in 6 million over 2 weeks in late September. A huge blow to the local economy.

- the UK has exceeded 20,000 dead. It is the 5th country to surpass the 20,000 threshold.

- China reported that for the 10th day in the row, there have been no new deaths. The country has reported about 83,000 cases and just over 4600 deaths.

- in Italy, military cannons are being repurposed and now used to spray disinfectant on the streets

- also in Italy some restaurants are testing out a new way for 2 people to safely dine: by putting a giant transparent plexiglass window that cuts halfway across the table, providing a barrier between the two patrons so they can still face each other, but can't pass any virus across to the other person.

- the premier of Ontario lashes out at protestors, who gathered together today, demanding that Ontario re-open businesses. Doug Ford criticized protesters for standing too close together, increasing the risk of infecting one another. Hmm, maybe those protesters should look at what happened in Kentucky:
- KENTUCKY REPORTS HIGHEST CORONAVIRUS INFECTION INCREASE AFTER A WEEK OF PROTESTS TO REOPEN STATE

Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear announced Sunday that the state had set a grim record with 273 new confirmed cases of the coronavirus, the highest single-day rise to date. Kentucky's increase in infected individuals comes after protesters took to the streets throughout the week to call for the state to be reopened.

With the 273 additional confirmed infections, Kentucky now has 2,960 cases of the novel virus and 1,122 recoveries. Beshear also announced four new deaths on Sunday, bringing the total number of fatalities across the state to 148.

https://www.newsweek.com/kentucky-reports-highest-coronavirus-infection-increase-after-week-protests-reopen-state-1498835

- the World Health Organization says that there is NO proof that people who have recovered from COVID-19 and have antibodies are protected from a second infection. Even if antibodies are present in the blood, it isn't clear that it offers any protection.

- Alec Baldwin and SNL mock president Trump's earlier and horribly misguided advice for Americans to inject themselves with disinfectant to fight COVID-19 infections.

- a 2km asteroid will be flying by Earth next week; a photograph of the asteroid has made the rounds because it looks like the asteroid is wearing a faux-medical face mask (due to a combination of lighting from the sun and its natural geological features). Very appropriate timing!

- Africa has seen a 43% jump in positive cases in just the last week.

- Canada Post reports that the amount of items being shipped during the outbreak is equal to Christmas time (no big surprise there)

- Quebec says 9500 health care workers are unable to work because they've become infected by the virus and must stay at home. The military will be tasked with taking care of seniors to make up for the absent long-term care workers.

- a number of meat-packing plants throughout Canada have had to shut down after some employees died, and hundreds of other employees became infected. One expert noted that: "If I were a virus, I would love meat-packing plants...   they're 4-deg Celsius, very humid, and everyone works close to each other. It's an ideal environment for a virus to spread."  The older the plant, the more likely it is to have an outbreak because of a centralized design.

- the Calgary Stampede has been cancelled for the first time since its inception a century ago.

- Toronto home sales plunged 69% this April over April 2019. It's only because there are fewer houses for sale that the prices have remained close to what they were before the COVID crisis started.

- Trudeau finally announced financial help for students. The Canada Emergency Student Benefit provides $1,250/month from May to August, or $1,750 if a student takes care of someone else or has a disability.

- long-term care homes in Ontario continue to be the focal point of new deaths; 2 out of every 3 COVID deaths in Ontario have happened at a long-term care home.

- apps like Uber Eats charge high fees to the restaurants who use them, as much as 25% of the order's cost; so people ordering from restaurants and using these delivery services may not be helping out these restaurants as much as they think.

- Unilever reports that deodorant sales are down 25% from last year; sales of razor blades, shampoos and other personal grooming products are down as people staying home feel less of a need to groom themselves.

- there have been a number of stories this past week about how the virus isn't just a danger to our respiratory system, but can affect other organs in our bodies too: it can contribute to the formation of blood clots which cannot be treated, leading to the amputation of a limb.

- the director of the CDC says that a second wave of the virus is likely to be even more deadlier than the first because it would likely coincide with the start of flu season, and having 2 simultaneous respiratory outbreaks would overwhelm the health care system. The 1918 Spanish Flu came in 3 waves over 2 years, resulting in more than 50 million deaths worldwide. That pandemic peaked in the US during the SECOND wave, in the fall of 1918. This highly-fatal second wave was responsible for most of the US deaths.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2020, 07:59:56 PM »

I just saw this posted on Instagram.  For many older collectors, you probably also collected GI Joe alongside the Kenner Star Wars figures... so this is sad news.  The fact that the artist died a few days ago, I certainly hope it wasn't due to COVID-19, but it would not be a total surprise if the virus was the cause...

NOTE: the text may not be visible on your browser due to the image size. Use the scrollbar to slide over to the right to read it.

His artwork on those Joe cardbacks will certainly form an integral and wonderful part of the childhoods of many toy collectors.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2020, 12:14:02 PM »

I was very sad to see that news as well - the art was a HUGE part of each character's mytique in my opinion. I found a good website that lets you see all the cards (I'm sure there are lots but here's one anyhow):

http://www.3djoes.com/the-gi-joe-yearbook-a-visual-index-of-carded-figures.html

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2020, 12:35:52 PM »

Sad for sure. G.I. Joe was a big part of my toys when I was a kid.
The artwork was awesome. 3D Joes is a great site.

bob

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2020, 03:55:15 PM »

damn, thats a bummer! i never liked G.i Joe that much but had a snowmobile and a figure or two. the artwork was cool and is embedded in your brain wether you were into it or not as far as i remember.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2020, 07:39:07 PM »

After a bit of googlling, he apparently died peacefully in his sleep, no indication that COVID-19 played any part in his passing, which is a bit of a relief (ironically enough, I just found out this afternoon that one of my aunts likely passed away from COVID-19 yesterday).

Hector Garrido was 92 years old when he passed, so he lived a good long life, and clearly made a huge contribution to the success of GI Joe. I didn't know the name of the artist who did the card art until this news of his death, but I certainly won't forget his name now.

https://www.cbr.com/hector-garrido-gi-joe-artist-dies/

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 04, 2020, 06:48:56 AM »

In China, if you try to warn people of the virus (be you a doctor or a chinese reporter), they threaten you with arrest or you are vanished into the night by the authorities.

In Russia, if you're a doctor trying to raise concerns about not enough PPE to keep yourself and your fellow doctors safe from infection?   You are pushed out a window to your death.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8282033/Third-Russian-doctor-plunges-coronavirus-hospital-window.html

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2020, 10:26:45 AM »

I thought they were jumping due to the hopelessness of the situation & being overworked so badly.... but for sure they could have been helped. In Putin's Russia the windows open you. :(

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2020, 06:52:56 PM »

Auston Matthews of the Leafs has contracted Covid. Spring training spots in Florida have been hit, as well as NCAA football teams (most notably LSU having 30 positive tests in the last couple of days). Sports isn't going to be safely back any time soon.  :(
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 175368
  • Total Topics: 14604
  • Online Today: 259
  • Online Ever: 755
  • (January 23, 2020, 04:54:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 178
Total: 180

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 44 queries.