Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2020, 05:35:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

33 Guests, 1 User
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Outbreak! (Coronavirus discussion)  (Read 1052 times)

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
Re: Outbreak! (Coronavirus discussion)
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2020, 06:16:51 PM »

ONTARIO & BC vs. New York State:

14.47 million + 5.07 million = 19.54 million vs. New York at 19.54 million

same population.

Number of cases:

Ontario & BC: 1,060                       

New York: 25,677

Deaths:

Ontario & BC : 20

New York:  210
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

old man ben

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • "Born to Collect!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2020, 07:38:11 PM »

The biggest difference I would think is the ten or twelve million people squeezed onto Manhattan Island.

DarthDerek

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2020, 09:43:47 PM »

ONTARIO & BC vs. New York State:

14.47 million + 5.07 million = 19.54 million vs. New York at 19.54 million

same population.

Number of cases:

Ontario & BC: 1,060               

New York: 25,677

Deaths:

Ontario & BC : 20

New York:  210

Did you make it home yet CJ ?

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Execute Order 67!!! Bring in the space horses!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2020, 09:50:52 PM »

It continues to boggle my mind that Italy will likely reach over 10,000 dead before this virus subsides.  In some sense, an invisible virus being the cause almost understates the magnitude of the horror. 

Replace virus with "serial killer" or "mass shooter" and it would seem almost ridiculous for one thing to cause so much death in modern times.  "Breaking News: Serial killer kills 6,000 people in Italy over a few weeks."

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2020, 11:57:50 PM »

Yes, it's the relatively short timespan during which those deaths are occurring that is the mind-boggling part. There are plenty of things that kill more people, but those numbers are spread out over a year at a "reasonable" pace. For instance in Canada in 2018 alone:
- 80,000 died of cancer
- 53,000 from heart disease
- 8,500 from flu/pneumonia

Imagine the coronavirus being allowed to continue unchecked for a whole year, and you can see how easily it could climb into the millions worldwide like the pandemics of history.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2020, 08:36:36 AM »

Yes, short-time span for so much death but also unlike the 3 other big killers that you cited, the virus has caused massive disruption to society across the globe. 

If any of those other 3 had regularly triggered the kind of systemic changes in how we live and go about our daily routines, then this outbreak might not seem as apocalyptic.

That said, who knows maybe going forward we could have regular viral outbreaks that force society to permanently adjust to it the same way we have adjusted to things like the flu.

edit: and now a summary of developments for Tue Mar 24 2020:
- in 84 days, the world has now reached over 417,966 positive cases and 18,615 dead.
- WHO is now saying that social distancing is no longer enough to keep the virus from spreading. Countries must use more aggressive testing of suspected cases and then quarantine any who had close contact with the patient.

- the US saw an increase of 9000 new cases in just 24 hours; this is the biggest increase for any country. After Trump said he would like to get Americans back to work by Apr 12th, a health official said that if that happened, it would lead to millions of deaths. Trump is reportedly listening more to his economic advisors than to his health advisors. Trump: "I think Easter Sunday, and you'll have packed churches all over our country, I think it would be a beautiful time." (uggghhhhh, this idiot is going to get SO many people killed...)

- China is beginning to ease restrictions after a sharp decline in COVID-19 cases; once it ends on Apr 6th, the lockdown will have been for 76 days. Work is slowly beginning to resume in factories. Travel restrictions still remain.

- there have been 743 new deaths in Italy in the last 24 hours. The prime minister says fines will be as high as 3000 euros to anyone who ignores the nationwide isolation rules. And a cruise ship has been converted into a floating medical facility to house and treat patients who are in recovery, so that hospitals can be opened up for patients who need more intensive care.
- an Italian priest who gave his own respirator to a younger patient has died.

- there were 514 new deaths in Spain in the last 24 hours, with a total number of deaths to just under 3000.
- an ice rink in Spain, has been converted to a morgue, after the local funeral service could not accept any more dead bodies.

- India, with a population of 1.3 billion, where many people live on the streets homeless or in makeshift houses, is going into a 21-day lockdown. It will be the world's largest lockdown, with a total ban of people venturing outside of their homes. Infections have been occurring in small towns within India. There have been 460 positive cases and 10 deaths in India.

- the Olympic summer games will be postponed by 1 year; this is the first time that they've been postponed (the games have been cancelled before but never postponed).

- the mayor of New York announcing that the rate of new infections in his city is doubling about every 3 days.

- more than 80 new cases in Ontario, including a police officer; a woman in her 90s living in an Oshawa long-term care residence has died.

- starting today, Ontario will cut hydro rates to help people working from home and in self-isolation, for the next 45 days/6 weeks, the rate during the day will now be the lowest rate (i.e. the same rate that you would pay after 7pm)

- Canada Post will cut their service hours (they will open 1hr later, and close 1hr earlier) and start dropping packages off at the door without waiting for a signature from the resident
- new cases in Canada are now doubling every 4 days, and at that rate we could see 10,000 cases by the end of March (that's just next Tuesday!).

- Canada saying that 90% of new cases being reported are from infections occuring while people are walking around in their community, not from international travellers returning home. The gov is again urging people to stay at home. There are over 2700 cases in Canada.

- Ontario now reports 50 people now in hospital due to COVID19, up 11. 17 are in ICU beds, up 5. 7 are on ventilators. 31 frontline healthcare workers have now contracted the virus.

- 10,000 people in Ontario are still awaiting to find out if they are positive or not for the virus.
- hundreds of thousands of people in Ontario apply for employment insurance, with lines stretching around the block (many who say that they are having trouble filing online so they came to the physical Service Canada office). The number of the total Canadians applying for EI is approaching 1 million. Service Canada's 1-800 number is overwhelmed, with people being put on hold for hours.

- list of “essential” businesses released by Ontario, including feed, animal food, pet food and animal supplies including bedding. Also: banks, taxis/ride-sharing, Motor vehicle, auto-supply, auto and motor-vehicle-repair, including bicycle repair, aircraft repair, heavy equipment repair, watercraft/marine craft repairs, car and truck dealerships and related facilities; Hotels, motels, shared rental units and similar facilities, including student residences;  More essential businesses include: Newspaper publishers; Radio & Television Broadcasting. Laundromats, dry cleaners and laundry service providers. Beer, wine, and cannabis stores are also treated as essential.

- Trudeau is leaving the door open to using smartphone data to track Canadians' compliance with pandemic rules
- Parks Canada is restricting vehicles in national parks and national historic sites after people flocked to the popular areas on the weekend.

...and some breaking news: Prince Charles has tested positive for the virus, only showing mild symptoms so far: https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/prince-charles-coronavirus-test-positive-1.5509194

« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 08:47:37 AM by napseeker »

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2020, 02:38:44 PM »

Unfortunately, things will continue to get worse before they start to get better. This is going to be a long haul.

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2020, 07:02:11 PM »

Yes we are at home and my daughter came home this morning from BC.  So we are isolating ourselves for 14 days voluntarily.   I understand now it is mandatory as of 12 midnight tonight.   We are getting food delivered by my neice who lives in Whitby.   

I am concerned by TRUMP's comments. He is speaking to his base and it is what they want to hear and believe.  In Florida the people we talked to thought it was being over blow-in and that the democrats want a recession so they can win the election.    But if he is wrong and they follow his example of not taking the situation as seriously as is being recommenced by the health care professionals:   New York State is the entire's USA future in the next 6 weeks and you could see upwards of 10,000 to 30,000 people die every week.        I hope TRUMP is right and this is a 2 week event and things go back to normal quickly.     

bob

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2020, 07:17:34 PM »

your joking right ? Trumps fn retarded. i cant believe the crap hes been spewing the last two days. even for him its bad.

if he wins again there is no hope for the US.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2020, 07:53:23 PM »

Trump has already gotten 1 American man killed and his wife almost killed.  Some of you may have heard the recent news story about a married couple that heard Trump talk about an anti-malaria drug that he proclaimed could be the answer to combating the virus...  you can guess that they didn't hesitate and sought out the "cure" themselves.

END RESULT:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/24/coronavirus-cure-kills-man-after-trump-touts-chloroquine-phosphate

I listened to Trump's press conference myself and for sure he was overselling it as a potential treatment. The way a slimy snake oil salesman would pitch a cure-all.

The wife was in critical condition but was still able to give a phone interview. I think she sadly learned her lesson the hard way.
“Trump kept saying it was basically pretty much a cure,” the woman told NBC.

She said her advice would be: “Don’t take anything. Don’t believe anything. Don’t believe anything that the president says and his people … call your doctor.”

The one relief from what I reported yesterday is that Trump does not have the power to override the social distancing restrictions that local state governors have put in place. Trump can WISH that those rules will be relaxed by Easter, but the governors don't have to obey. Thank the maker for that.

The US is already in huge trouble according to this chart that was compiled by the Financial Times. Note that even Italy is starting to flatten a bit, while the US definitely is not.

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2020, 09:56:55 PM »

If Trump had gotten over himself way back at the beginning (which would be a first, I know), he could have possibly had this thing licked in time for the election and come out smelling like roses. Now it'll drag on and make him look more and more like the fool he is. Of course, he will blame it all on the Democrats, the media, China, the Easter Bunny, the Man on the Moon... whatever fiction pops across his Twitter feed at 4:15 in the morning.

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2020, 11:54:57 PM »

I should clarify what I mean.  " I hope TRUMP is right because that would be amazing for all of us"  Trying to stay positive in a time of non-positives.  TRUMP is an arrogant self absorbed ********************************** and an ***************.    What he is saying is completely irresponsible to be said by anyone let alone the President of the United States.   But his base listens to him and believes him.  This is also the reason why I believe things are going to get really bad in the states. I hope I am wrong, I really hope I am wrong and TRUMP is right .   But if things go side way in the states, the 2008 downturn will be a walk in the park compared to the train wreck that is about to happen.  People were loosing their houses back then......people will be loosing their love ones or even their own lives.   And TRUMP and all the politicians can throw as much money as they want to save the economy, but it just won't matter when what they really need is ventilators.  But staying positive, I will hope TRUMP is right and the experts are wrong.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 07:48:23 AM by Canadian Jedi »

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2020, 07:38:14 AM »

As of March 23, 2020 6:02 pm

Total confirmed cases in the US: 66,132
Total deaths: 947
Total recovered:361

The top 10 list you do not want to be on:

State         Total Cases/Deaths
1New York               33,033/366
2New Jersey           4,407/62
3California                3,169/67
4Washington           2,600/133
5Michigan                2,295/43
6Florida                1,978/23
7Illinois                1,870/19
8Massachusetts        1,838/15
9Louisiana                1,795/65
10Georgia                1,387/47
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 07:44:14 AM by Canadian Jedi »

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2020, 07:59:52 AM »

Here's a perfect example of who in the USA will die first. The healthcare workers. I just saw this posted on twitter:

Mark Elliott   @markmobility

Holy freaking hell. A nursing manager at Mt Sinai Hospital in NYC just died from coronavirus. Nurses at the hospital have been wearing trash bags because of the lack of protective gear.

Worker at NYC hospital where nurses wear trash bags as protection dies from coronavirus

https://nypost.com/2020/03/25/worker-at-nyc-hospital-where-nurses-wear-trash-bags-as-protection-dies-from-coronavirus/

The governor of NY has been pleading with the White House to implement emergency measures that would force US companies to start making more protective gear for healthcare workers. Here is Trump's response so far:

Trump commits to helping blue states fight the coronavirus — if their governors are nice to him
https://www.vox.com/2020/3/25/21193803/trump-to-governors-coronavirus-help-ventilators-cuomo

President Donald Trump says he’s willing to help blue-state governors who are struggling to contain coronavirus outbreaks — but only if they’re willing to stop criticizing him in exchange.

“It’s a two-way street,” Trump told Fox News on Tuesday. “They have to treat us well, also. They can’t say, ‘Oh, gee, we should get this, we should get that.’”

Trump’s comments came as Andrew Cuomo — the Democratic governor of New York, the state currently at the heart of America’s coronavirus outbreak — pleaded with Trump to do more to provide his state (and others) with medical gear and ventilators. Trump’s line seems to be that Cuomo isn’t in a position to make demands unless he refrains from criticizing the federal government (and, by extension, him).

It is ALWAYS quid pro quo with this pathetic individual. He won't do anything for you unless you either lavish praise on him or stop criticizing him or whatever.  Even when millions of lives are at stake he can't put his own ego aside.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 08:01:51 AM by napseeker »

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2020, 09:53:25 AM »

All I can say is, the US is *ucked.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 174906
  • Total Topics: 14592
  • Online Today: 55
  • Online Ever: 755
  • (January 23, 2020, 04:54:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 33
Total: 34

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 45 queries.