Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2020, 10:46:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

99 Guests, 3 Users

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: USA Address with forwarding capabilities to Canada  (Read 733 times)

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
USA Address with forwarding capabilities to Canada
« on: April 22, 2020, 10:53:17 PM »

Hi guys,

I need very urgently to setup a US Address mailbox with forwarding capabilities to Quebec, Canada. The initial plan I had is not working anymore and I need to find an alternative to have some orders from US stores shipped to a US mailbox, with possibilities to forward the packages to my Quebec address (since our border is blocked for the time being... and maybe for a little while longer).

Do you guys know of any such service near the border (Ontario or Quebec)? What do you suggest using?

Thanks for your quick help on this...
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

66jedikiller66

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: USA Address with forwarding capabilities to Canada
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 11:13:43 PM »

I'm in the same boat, not sure what to do.
I was able to order 2 of each of the ESB Retro, figures form Walmart.com for store pick up in Michigan...luckily they have been postponed for the website orders until May 20/20 now.
Got a couple of dorkside orders coming up i figure they're going to get the VC Re-issues soon.
My wife also has about 6 boxes of Pez orders sitting at our po box in Detroit, luckily it's the main branch so they don't send stuff back.
It's tough, being a collector right now.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • Gathering dust awaiting new figures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 06:11:28 AM »

No idea if this might help or not, I didn't look at any reviews. I hope you're able to find something that will work!

https://www.shipito.com/en/?countrycode=CA

DarthDerek

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 09:01:22 AM »

Not sure if this helps either.  I have friends that use this service.  I don’t have an account my self but I believe the basic idea is that you set up an account with them, then ship to their address (from multiple stores). You then have up to 45 days that they will hold or gather all your parcels, then you direct them to put all you USA parcels into one box and they will ship to you here in Canada.  It’s even up to you what you declare the value to be of the parcel your having shipped to Canada.  They may hold items for longer then 45 days, but have a fee based on it, I’m not sure.

https://www.stackry.com/

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 09:51:25 AM »

I used to use myus.com. They are based out of Florida which is a long way to ship but they weren't too bad. The only issue I had with them is that once in a while they would take my figures out of the shipping box to put them in a smaller box and it sometimes did some damage to the card backs. I think you can give them specific instructions now how to handle certain items so it may not be a problem anymore. They provided different shipping options.

Ookk

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 10:56:34 AM »

Aren’t items still crossing the border if shipped from Dorkside or other US vendors? My understanding is that the mail was still going through internationally - just slower that usual.

old man ben

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • "Born to Collect!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 11:25:15 AM »

I think that there are some sellers who won't ship to Canada, especially on eBay.  Shipping companies like UPS and FedEx have very big handling charges for shipping across the border.

bishop

• Empire
  • Recruit
  • Newly registered to snowtroopers.ca...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 04:06:44 PM »

I used freeportforwarding a long time ago. I don't know if they can hold your item though. 

http://www.freeportforwarding.com/

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 04:10:43 PM »

Hey guys, thanks for all these references! I'll check these very shortly.

Like 66jedikiller66, I pre-ordered a bunch of the ESB retro figures from WM US and the mailbox I was planning to use will be inoperative starting May 8th, with no more storage capabilities due to the overstock. Now the order originally planned to be delivered on May 4th has been pushed back officially to May 20th. I have to resort on another mean to get my stuff delivered to a US address, then forwarded to my Canadian address. It's a PITA, but I have no choice, since we're mostly sure these items won't hit Canada... :-/

To that I have some other stuff I was planning to buy, but having no US address now makes these purchases impossible (some sellers won't ship to Canada... stupid...)

Or I may have the packages dropped to a friend lady I have in Colorado, then ask her to reship the stuff to me as a "gift". We'll see. It could be the simplest way. :)

"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 11:03:53 PM »

Or I may have the packages dropped to a friend lady I have in Colorado, then ask her to reship the stuff to me as a "gift". We'll see. It could be the simplest way. :)

Patrick, as you say, that's probably the simplest way. You can even have her open the box first and remove the WM shipping papers, etc. The only thing is Colorado is a bit in the wrong direction, not sure if US Postal charges by distance or not.

If you find a place that looks promising, make sure to seek out reviews first. That's what I did when first signing up for mine. Some services are basically just behind-the-counter "side jobs" at some hole-in-the-wall shop or run out of someone's basement or garage, while others are fully dedicated businesses with large warehouses and customer service departments. Look for forums or reddit pages to get the best cross-section of reviews and recommendations.

As I mentioned to you before, a place in or around Champlain, NY might be worth checking out too. Even if it's somewhere that doesn't forward the package but will store it for you for a long time. I have a feeling NY State will be one of the last states to open up again, so even if the border re-opens, the facilities may not. So same boat as our original service in that regard. Sorry I couldn't help this time!

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2020, 06:44:21 AM »

Why are we "mostly sure" these items won't come to Canada, JediPatrick? Are you hearing from sources or just worried you won't be able to find them due to all the current events slowing down the shipping?

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 08:58:53 AM »

As I mentioned to you before, a place in or around Champlain, NY might be worth checking out too. Even if it's somewhere that doesn't forward the package but will store it for you for a long time. I have a feeling NY State will be one of the last states to open up again, so even if the border re-opens, the facilities may not. So same boat as our original service in that regard. Sorry I couldn't help this time!

No worry buddy, you've always been of great help! :) I will check with my options, the Champlain NY alternative seems the best, since I don't want to impose myself on my friend (it'd be quite a burden, but she repeatedly offered her help if I ever need stuff from the US, maybe she'd be more than glad to do that for me). We'll see. I'll keep you posted on this. :)

Why are we "mostly sure" these items won't come to Canada, JediPatrick? Are you hearing from sources or just worried you won't be able to find them due to all the current events slowing down the shipping?

They *could* be made available. Hasbro Canada could offer the products to TRU if Walmart Canada decides not to carry them. However usually, when Walmart Canada declines selling the US exclusive products to our country, chances are they won't enable any other major retailers to carry them. Maybe only small businesses like Kaia (Luke Ceremonial was that type of decision: Kaia Boutique was offered to take them, else we wouldn't have seen any here).

So, I'm not ready to take my chances waiting for products that will probably already be very scarce. Canada merely got 300 boxes (sets) of these Retro figures last year (meaning only 300 Leia, 300 Vader, 300 Chewie, etc) thru TRU. I don't think, given the current state of our economy, that we will see more than what was available last year for a similar type of product. The pandemic certainly doesn't help building my confidence in Walmart and TRU ever carrying products for a dying line (yes, SW is pretty much dead at retail).

Frank Herbert

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2020, 08:26:46 AM »

Ok, fair enough. I guess I'm quite optimistic that we will see them since Superstore had them last time (and thus I would suspect they will get them again). Time will tell I guess.

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2020, 08:47:51 AM »

Canada merely got 300 boxes (sets) of these Retro figures last year (meaning only 300 Leia, 300 Vader, 300 Chewie, etc) thru TRU.

Was that case count only for TRU?  I got mine at Superstore and they had two full sets out the day I got them.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2020, 09:43:12 AM »

Yeah I had superstore in my mind too, FF. The day I saw them I easily could have had 2 full sets, and it was possibly 3 or 4. No shortage of any of them - I fully appreciate different areas & even different stores can wildly vary though.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 175218
  • Total Topics: 14601
  • Online Today: 134
  • Online Ever: 755
  • (January 23, 2020, 04:54:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 99
Total: 102

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 44 queries.