Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2020, 05:19:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

190 Guests, 2 Users

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Black Series Packaging  (Read 670 times)

dangerlinto

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
New Black Series Packaging
« on: May 28, 2020, 11:37:56 PM »

If you haven't seen it, the Black Series packaging will be changing for wave 25 and the Rebels wave (Btw - you can preorder at amazon and redshift7 already)

So, basically, they went all Marvel Legends for the packaging.  Is it better?  Sure - especially from the side where you can get a nice pic of the figure.  This is a HUGE deal for placing items on the shelf, where you can get a lot more shelf space when they are on the side like that.  In a place like EB Games where shelf space is at a premium showing that picture is a much better draw than the awful side of the red line.

But the front is boring as hell.  It's boxy, and makes poor use of the small band of color.  It would have helped a LOT if the inside had the same band of color, but they've made it white(ish).  It's the BLACK series and they made the inside WHITE.   :sign0065:

In addition, they will regret the decision to make the sides of the boxes match up with others to form a flowing artwork... it will be exhausting keeping that up.

Goldenrod

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: New Black Series Packaging
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 01:09:52 PM »

With this reveal, can we assume that we won't be getting the Hoth Trooper and Dagobah R2-D2 in the black box packaging and only in vintage style?

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • Gathering dust awaiting new figures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 01:16:35 PM »

I would think that will likely be the case.

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 09:22:31 AM »

Hoth rebel trooper is slated to come in a later wave according to the yakface.com list. And I'm pretty sure hasbro said that any new figure done on the 40th packaging will also come in a box later. Not sure if R2 qualifies as new though.

As for the packaging I keep very few black series in box so it's pretty irrelevant to me. I still need to get some of those vintage custom wraparounds from dangerlinto for the few i have.

I do like the splash of colour on the new boxes, as I found the black boxes very dour. What I think hasbro thought of as classy I found boring.

dangerlinto

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 09:37:13 AM »

I do like the splash of colour on the new boxes, as I found the black boxes very dour. What I think hasbro thought of as classy I found boring.

It will be nice to make new slipcovers. The old design was terrible and tiresome - everything red except some exclusives.  I will have to step up my game on the side, obviously

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 10:03:44 AM »

Hoth rebel trooper is slated to come in a later wave according to the yakface.com list. And I'm pretty sure hasbro said that any new figure done on the 40th packaging will also come in a box later. Not sure if R2 qualifies as new though.

I'm pretty sure most if not all the 40th Anniversary ESB figures will end up in the new packaging. Even the repacks (Leia Hoth, Han Bespin, Lando, AT-AT Driver). Hasbro have been masters at repackaging old figures. The BS line seems to follow the same path as all their other lines, if not even worse. To them, it's quite easy money. People are so much into packaging variations that they follow suit (look at TROS white box variants: people went nuts over these and the figures were the very same! Even at the steep price of 30$! And those carbonized versions? Another trick to get people to buy the same figure twice but with a new paint application: so, other REPAINTS!)

You wanna know why I'm so sure? Well, say Leia Hoth is labelled ESB-06. You think some will want to skip it because they already have her? But who would want to do that? Would you not want to complete the very nice side flowing artwork for ESB? Say 1-2 years from now, when these figures won't be around on the pegs, you'd feel sorry for skipping a few of these. Would you want to be missing a few boxes and not having a complete tapestry? Not having the complete lot will become torture for some collectors. We all need to ask ourselves why Hasbro chose to do that side artwork. Nothing's done without purpose in the toy industry. They will be able to make real easy money out of collectors who are all known to be obsessive grown ups with lots and lots of cash to spend...  :shakehead:

As Ackbar used to said, "It's a trap!"
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 10:06:43 AM by JediPatrick »
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 175354
  • Total Topics: 14604
  • Online Today: 287
  • Online Ever: 755
  • (January 23, 2020, 04:54:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 190
Total: 192

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 45 queries.