Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2020, 10:50:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

100 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Petition for Hasbro to make more NEW 3​.​75" Star Wars Vintage Collection figure  (Read 599 times)

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • Gathering dust awaiting new figures.
    • View Profile

jmac

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile

I signed too. Hopefully this campaign makes a difference.

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile

Signed.

Although I really really doubt this will do anything.

I mean, what does it tell? Just that people would love to get many different new figures, a large variety like we used to get back 10-12 years.

Hasbro has said over and over again: "Hey collectors, switch to the REAL collectors line, the Black Series 6" figures!" They're trying so hard to make us believe that our beloved 3.75" line is not targetted at serious adult collectors, that these are a think of the past.

I was kinda shocked and angry two weeks ago when one of the key Hasbro SW Rep, during their Fan's First Youtube sessions, called the TVC line format the "heritage" format. Because it's linked to the first generation of SW toys back in the 70-80s.

To me, it tells a lot: they're really pushing harder and harder to put this line aside. Because it's "a thing of the past", and that nowadays serious collectors should all agree that the 6'' line is the best.

Sorry, but I'm not buying that at all. Being an adult, I honestly feel quite dumb already to buy small action figures. Now, trying to tell me that buying 6'' figures will make my hobby look more... serious and adult? Come on! Whenever I'm holding a 6'' figure I feel like a dumb grown up, I mean, the figure is so big, likeliness is not really there for any human character, and I feel like I'm holding a big huge crude toy meant for kids who does not have the fine motor skills and dexterity to handle small figures. At least, with the small figures, the size excuses smooth facial features and I can put them in some kind of display setting to reneact movie scenes.  With large figures, I'd just display them in rows on shelves or cabinets... which would make my collection look boring... and make me look quite silly to be honest. So, the 6'' figures being more collectors-oriented? Nah. Not buying that at all. I think Hasbro has got into the heads of so many people trying to convince them that it's okay to buy a 35$ toy because they're meant for adult, some actually finally believe these s**tty arguments...  :shakehead:

Anyway, about the petition, to me it's kinda a waste of time. It's yet again people whining to get what they want. Forgetting the fact that Hasbro is a toy company that exists to make money. So money speaks. It's the only langage they understand, like any other profits-making organisation. As collectors -- and consumers -- the only way to send Hasbro a clear message is to boost up sales of TVC line. To buy them at full retail price when they are on the pegs rather than wait for every penny you can save during clearance sales. And to redirect your purchases from all other lines to TVC...

Because when you buy those BS figures and TVC figures at the same time, what you are telling Hasbro is that they provide you with a good alternative. You'll remain a loyal customer even if they end up scrapping both the BS 6'' and TVC lines by feeding you with Hyperreal 8'' figures, 2.5'' Mission Series figures and Galaxy of Adventures 5'' figures. People who are buying these just boost up the sales numbers for each of these lines. So Hasbro understand that, even though you're complaining about the lack of TVC figures, you're still taking hard-earned money from your pockets and throwing it at them for whatever s**t they're making.

Basically, there's the real message (you buying their products, even those you don't really want and thus engrossing their sales and bottomline numbers), and then there's the background noise (you complaining about the lack of TVC figures). I strongly believe Hasbro, like all other companies, don't really care about this background noise...

So... waste of time. Still signed it, but I don't think our voices are being heard when people act incoherently and keeps buying stuff they don't really want...
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile

I'm going to be honest and hope not offend, but I'm not signing.  I have 3 reasons for this.

1: my wallet/marriage would probably not survive a doubling in output per year of TVC figs when most are around $20 a pop.  I only got back into collecting 3 3/4" (avoided the Walmart only black series line) because of the reintroduction of TVC, and because I found a bunch at EB during a $5 Friday.  The price has gone up from the previous TVC line considerably.  And that $20 is most figures at retail, with tax.  Never mind the ones I miss out on and have to pay aftermarket prices for.  Which brings me to my next reason..

2:  Distribution.  Hasbro already screws the pooch for most of Canada when it comes to quantity for most lines, TVC being no different.  Either too much of 1 wave or blink and you miss it releases of other waves.  Adding more figures to the line in a year, would just add to this problem

3.  Exclusives.  I hate them, I really f*#king hate them.  EE, Target or any other online or US only based retailer that gets exclusives means cross your fingers and hope TRU or EB picks them up or welcome to aftermarket prices again....Add more figures to the line and you're almost guaranteeing there will more exclusives.

A dozen or so a year, plus the sub lines like the Retro series that have a defined beginning and end are fine with me. 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 04:42:08 PM by fishfan »

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile

I hate to say it, but I agree with fishfan on all 3 counts.

1. I have over 1000 figures in the 3.75" format, many of characters that were on screen for half an eyeblink. I have to say, there's really not a whole lot I can think of that I'd like to see come out anymore. I don't collect sequel figures, but have been picking up stuff from Disney-era media that are set in/around the OT timeframe (Solo, Rogue One, Mandalorian). So of course I'd love to see NEW stuff from those types of things come out, as long as it is super-articulated. Which bring s me to my next point. I am an opener. Before TVC started (10 years ago!!! Really, how spoiled are we?), I never bought a single figure to keep carded. But beginning with VC01, I have a complete MOC set of TVC alongside all my openers. So that's been doubling my costs, and it's not like I even have the space to display them. I was actually kind of relieved when it switched to the WM Black Series line for awhile. It saved me buying the MOC set, and with all the repacks, it saved me even buying any openers. I buy so much from other lines now that TVC is becoming a bit of an afterthought.

2. I gave up on Hasbro's distribution a long time ago. I order waves by the case as much as possible now. This has really helped for TVC as I'm usually able to get a full MOC set, plus enough doubles to cover the figures I want to keep as openers. There's only been a handful of figures that I've need to track down at retail as extra openers. If TVC were to go away and just become a throwaway-cardback SA line, I'd probably have to revert to the retail hunt, but that might not be so bad as I'd only be looking for the few new figures I want to actually add to my collection. They might even be easy enough to buy individually online. The real problem with distribution is the next point...

3. Like fishfan, I absolutely hate exclusives, even though I've had pretty good luck being able to get most of them over the years, either online/in-store from the US retailers (I live in Niagara so a short border hop solves some of those problems), or more recently with TRU or EB being pretty good and consistent with getting them in Canada. I just hate all the extra hoops you have to jump through to secure them. Even when they come to TRU or EB, if you're not right on the pre-order on day one, forget it. That leaves stalking the aisles every day once they hit street date, hoping you find one before a scalper. And we all know Amazon is a lost cause unless you like getting cancellation emails on everything. It just takes the fun right out of collecting. Exclusives were fine when it was the odd figure here and there, once or twice a year, for a special repaint or something that would be neat to have but you could live without. And for completists collecting a numbered line like TVC, having a numbered basic figure from the line be released as an exclusive is enough to make you rip your hair out (remember the SDCC mouse droid and Salacious Crumb?)

So if TVC ended soon, I wouldn't be too sad - AS LONG AS what follows is the same quality, just in different format. Super articulated figures, some new and some repacks as necessary. No more 5POA garbage. For sure Hasbro should finish off the "Original 96" characters that sites like JTA keep harping on about, maybe bring the line up to VC200 and call it a day. After that, maybe one or two special releases a year in TVC would be cool and would feel like a treat rather than a slog. Sort of like what they did during the WM black series years. They could even do a single wave of basic figures on TVC cardback once every Christmas or something - repacks of any new figures that were released over the previous 12 months out again for those who want them on the vintage style. Sort of like what Hasbro has done with the anniversary line of the 6" figures. Most of those are repacks, with the few new figures becoming available in the regular packaging as well. And any future release from HasLab must of course also be in TVC packaging format.

DarthDerek

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile

Signed 😀

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Execute Order 67!!! Bring in the space horses!
    • View Profile

Well there is a rumor that a TVC Carbon Freezing Chamber playset is coming so Hasbro hasn't given up on TVC exactly. 

If they're not going to produce that many new 3.75" figures, then churning out quality dioramas like Jabba's Palace and Bespin every year will at least keep the long-time 4-inch collectors from dropping out entirely (which I've felt close to doing on many occasions since Disney took over the franchise and blew it up).

I do wish they'd release that Echo Base playset that was being worked on so many years ago.  Those terminals looked fantastic.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 01:19:39 AM by napseeker »

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile

I don't really understand why they don't "go back to the well" & release nice versions of previously made figures to fatten out the line with greater frequency. There must at least 20 figures they could release "as is" on vintage cards we still need, let alone ones that would sell over & over & over every year or two like Vader & Tatooine Luke. The Jawa was NOT a good example of how to do this, though I was happy to finally get that card.  :speechless-smiley-004:

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile

I don't really understand why they don't "go back to the well" & release nice versions of previously made figures to fatten out the line with greater frequency. There must at least 20 figures they could release "as is" on vintage cards we still need, let alone ones that would sell over & over & over every year or two like Vader & Tatooine Luke. The Jawa was NOT a good example of how to do this, though I was happy to finally get that card.  :speechless-smiley-004:

I think the Jawa was an excellent choice and I'm really puzzled why it didn't sell that well. I think it would have made more sense to release it with the Power Droid wave next Fall. I mean, the figure is nice, the cardback as well. Why was it warming the pegs at one point compared to other figures is a mystery for me, especially since most TVC collectors would want to have at least one for their MOC collection. Anyway...

I agree that Hasbro could give us so many repacks of wonderful previously released figures just for the heck of putting them on Vintage cardbacks. Although I would be thrilled to get some of these on nice cardbacks, we also need new stuff...

The Carbon Freezing Playset would be a nice addition, but at 60USD I wonder what exactly we'll be getting. I think it'll be way too small and incomplete. I would be just thrilled to get a nice floor pattern, to scale, to put it on my own diorama, but there's no way it'll reach the level of what I did myself, with the ceiling, the lighting, the detailing. But we'll see. Anything is way better than nothing IMHO. I want new stuff. The Barge, Skiff, Imperial Troop Transport and Rogue One Tank were really nice additions and I'd hate if Hasbro decided to stop there.

As for exclusives, these are real nightmare. Especially Walmart exclusives. Most TRU and Target stuff ends up here in Canada, but WM is the worse retailer for exclusive products in Canada. As for SDCC exclusives... they are a pain in the a$$. We always end up having to pay 2-3 times the normal selling price and it kills the hobby. I just don't get why Hasbro still keeps frustrating their customers with such elaborate schemes. Maybe because some employees benefit from the secondary market resell? Anyway...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 10:11:40 AM by JediPatrick »
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile

I think the Jawa was an excellent choice and I'm really puzzled why it didn't sell that well. I think it would have made more sense to release it with the Power Droid wave next Fall. I mean, the figure is nice, the cardback as well. Why was it warming the pegs at one point compared to other figures is a mystery for me, especially since most TVC collectors would want to have at least one for their MOC collection. Anyway...

Perceived value. $20 for a half-sized figure that is a salt shaker felt a bit hollow to me, and most of the people I knew who purchased one. It was just to have the card. In days gone figures like that were packed in 2s - I remember getting 2 Jawas & 2 Ewoks at one point for the single figure price - that felt like great value. I know there were other times we paid full price for figures like Chief Chirpa that were literally half the size of their vintage counterparts, but the details on those were so exquisite it helped you feel ok about it.

I don't mean to suggest we don't need new stuff, of course we do - but waves comprised of even 1-2 new figures with 3 repacks would allow them to save money & keep us seeking the new figures.

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile

I don't mean to suggest we don't need new stuff, of course we do - but waves comprised of even 1-2 new figures with 3 repacks would allow them to save money & keep us seeking the new figures.
Actually this is what they're trying to do right now, but with entire waves of repacks. So there's the mix of new and repacks. The real problem for me is their definition of "new" is not the same as mine, and their lack of attention on the OT.

I primarily collect OT, and I'm primarily an opener. But vintage has me getting one of any never done on a vintage card OT figure to keep on card, and one of every new OT figure to open. I also cherry pick "cool" figures as well. So the Mandalorian is on my list, for example.

But here's what we've got for OT for 2020:

Luke Stormtrooper... been done
Luke Jedi Knight... been done
Power Droid... been done

annnnnd.... a bunch of repaints. And I aint buying repaints for a pretty face on a 3.75" figure. Not for $20+.

So for 2020, we've got three do-overs and a bunch of repaints for OT in the vintage collection. They have yet to release or announce a single never before produced OT figure for 2020. This is stunning to me and despite the petition, I'm amazed there isn't more noise about this fact. 

I agree with a lot of what everyone here is saying. And despite my complaint above, I actually don't need much more than we're already getting. As was pointed out, we have literally hundreds of figures and different characters to fill our collections. I really don't need more. I've said it before on these boards, the line could die tomorrow and I'd still be thrilled with my collection. I'd be bummed about no Sim Aloo (the poster boy for my vintage desires!!), but I'd still be pretty amazed at the sheer volume of variety we've been given.

As for the petition, I'd be happy with 10 new figures per year. And if I get two, since they'd be legitimately new, I'd be buying 20, and at $20 a pop. that's $400 per year. I don't need to spend more than that. Plus maybe the odd vehicle or playset. Though at this point I have no room, and I feel content if they never release another vehicle. I'd be more interested in playsets/dioramas.

Bottom line for me is, I think the petition is a good idea, because it's saying that just throwing vintage crap out there is not good enough. And pointing to poor sales is directing blame in the wrong direction. Hasbro needs to do better with their figure selection and distribution, and then maybe see what sales would be like.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile

I'll search for a pic of the power droid - would I be close if I guessed it was a repack of something that came as an add on to another figure back in the legacy days...  :speechless-smiley-004:

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile

I'll search for a pic of the power droid - would I be close if I guessed it was a repack of something that came as an add on to another figure back in the legacy days...  :speechless-smiley-004:

Are you talking about the new one coming? https://www.amazon.ca/Vintage-Collection-Power-Droid-3-75-Inch-Scale/dp/B083ZZQGZC/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=power+droid&qid=1590201836&sr=8-1

I believe it is based on the brand new one from the Vintage 3-pk Droid set several years ago, though with enough retool/repaint that I'd call it a new figure:
https://www.jeditemplearchives.com/2020-02-23-the-tvc-lars-homestead-eg-6-power-droid-doesnt-have-same-face-as-vintage-kenner-power-droid/

But yeah, I remember several releases from Legacy, Saga, TAC that had 2 Jawas, 2 Ewoks, Jawa + Droid, etc... Just off the top of my head:
EWOK PACKS:
TLC - Paploo & NoAhpakk
TLC - Leektar & Nippet
TAC - Romba & Graak

JAWA/DROID PACKS:
TLC - Jawa & Treadwell droid
TLC - Jawa & security droid
TAC - Jawa & LIN droid

OTHERS:
TLC - Trinto Duaba & Dice Ibegon
TLC - Yaddle & Evan Piell

And then there's large figure packs like Ephant Mon, Hermi Odle, Ak-Rev, Umpass-Stay, etc that came just in the basic figure line without having to be "deluxe" items. Which can probably be blamed more on the vintage cardback format restrictions.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 175218
  • Total Topics: 14601
  • Online Today: 134
  • Online Ever: 755
  • (January 23, 2020, 04:54:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 100
Total: 100

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 45 queries.