Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2020, 05:11:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

222 Guests, 1 User
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Canada Post Parcel Delivery Delays: A Star Wars Story  (Read 1058 times)

IanToronto

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Canada Post Parcel Delivery Delays: A Star Wars Story
« on: June 09, 2020, 05:12:23 PM »

Hello fellow collectors!

I just thought I would vent my frustrations with Canada Post right now.  I get it that there is a Pandemic....I get it they are social distancing at the sorting facilities....what I don't get is how disorganised from a customer perspective they are at processing & delivering parcels during this time within a reasonable time. The delays I'm experiencing (and probably most of you) are beyond comprehension right now. Who the heck is organizing things there???  Nobody by the looks of things.

This is what I'm waiting on:
1. Parcel shipping from Entertainment Earth, left the USA for Canada on May 25th, has yet to processed by Canada Post  (heck I will gladly pay any duties and taxes just for a tracking update)....waiting over 2 weeks.
2. Parcel shipping from Mississauga ON, which is being shipped to my home address in Mississauga ON, shipment was picked up on May 29, was processed yesterday June 08, yet to go out for delivery. (took 10 days to process it through the Mississauga facility)
3. Parcel shipping form Montreal QC, left Montreal in transit on June 02, yet to be processed in Mississauga ON at the Mississauga facility. (7 days in transit...really?)
4. Another parcel shipping from Mississauga ON, picked up by Canada Post on June 01, has yet to be processed through the Mississauga facility (really 8 days and still not processed, it's in the same flippin' city!)
5. Parcel coming from Oshawa ON, shipment received by Canada Post on June 03, yet to be processed at Mississauga facility. (6 days processed at the post office, doesn't even show in transit to Mississauga facility.)
6. Parcel shipping from Mississauga ON, which was picked up on June 06 by Canada Post and delivered today (June 09) YAY!!! I got one........I just don't understand how this one got processed and delivered before the others.

All are medium to large packages....nothing overly huge.  All are Expedited Parcel....and 1 USA international parcel to Canada.

This is absolutely disgusting on Canada Post's part!!!

(I need my toys now.)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 05:27:24 PM by IanToronto »

Darth Woo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Canada Post Parcel Delivery Delays: A Star Wars Story
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 07:17:59 PM »

I feel your pain.  Canadapost is very slow right now.  There's been no delay for any of my items that I ship out with USPS.  However, the one item I shipped with Canadapost from BC to ON was shipped on May 14 and didn't arrive at the destination till June 1st.

B/S/T list:
http://www.snowtroopers.ca/index.php?topic=23390.0

BS 6" First Order Tie Fighter for sale.  See B/S/T thread.

Goldenrod

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 07:19:55 PM »

I will try to help you as much as I can.

1- We have more parcels than christmas time;
2- We are short staffed because a lot of employees need to stay home for different reasons (stay with kids, those with health problems);
3- Facilities are the same size as before this pandemic, we dont have more docks to unload the stuff;
4- Since the major warehouses (Amazon, Best Buy and so on) are located in Mississauga, the Gateway sorting plant in Toronto have many vans that await to be unloaded (sorry, I don't know how man), here in Montréal I heard that we had 350 vans waiting to be unloaded, with an average of 2000 parcels per van.

I'm just a postman, so I can only talk about the reality of my office that I see each day:
Some routes have like 150 parcels everyday, Most of our routes are evaluated at around 35 parcels/day. Our little Ford Transit can't hold much more parcels than that. Everyday we leave with what we have, it's ''clean floor'' when we leave. In christmas time, they offer overtime to deliver parcels after our shifts and on week-ends, at my office, management don't offer overtime to deliver parcels after our shifts or in the week-ends. A lot of us postman, again at my office, offered ourselves to do overtime, but it is refused. No more delivery guarantee so no need to rush to deliver.

Management don't care, so they don't feel the need to rush the delivery of these parcels and who the people blame for the delays, we the employee. It's a tactic that they excell in. Yes, we have a union, but believe me when I say that we the don't have the power to stop or delay the parcels, only management has. Don't believe me? You still are receiving flyers in your mailbox? We asked to stop them because it forced us to go every door and it was denied.

If your parcel don't move for a coupe of days, weeks for others, it means that it is still inside a van, and I fear that vans are not unloaded in a first come first served basis.

I also think that parcels from outside the country are not the corps priority, I haven't seen many parcels from the USA quite as often as I have to before this pandemic started.

I hope it helps and we hope, as you do, that management change his mind about the overtime (it helps me buy my toys too)....

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • Gathering dust awaiting new figures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 07:20:22 PM »

I'll check the tracking on my one outstanding package, but yeah we're not use to two weeks for a box to transit a couple of provinces. Hopefully they'll pick it up.

old man ben

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • "Born to Collect!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 07:38:31 PM »

I understand your frustration Ian.  I sent two parcels by express post from Mississauga to the Ottawa area and they took over ten and 14 days respectively for what should have been a 2 day service.
I also received two orders from Walmart here in Mississauga that took more than a week each.

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 07:43:39 PM »

Yeah its pretty crazy. I had one parcel sit in the mississauga facility with no movement for two weeks. Meanwhile I had another parcel ship a few days ago and it arrived today. Both parcels came from amazon, both went through the mississauga facility. They were picked up by Canadapost two weeks apart yet both got processed and out for delivery within a day of each other.  :crazy:

The sitting in a van explanation seems plausible. Or perhaps a corner of a warehouse. Either way there is no consistency.

Meanwhile I ordered a couple books and a puzzle from indigo.ca Friday night and it arrived today via TForce. My past experience with them was horrible tracking but eventually parcel arrived. This time was amazingly quick. 1 and a half business days.

Darth Woo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 08:00:58 PM »

Being a crown corporation, I don't think the higher ups are accountable to anyone so they couldn't care less if service sucks and people wait longer.  They aren't the ones on the front lines being yelled at.

I don't even use Canada Post when I mail packages to the US anymore.  I can ship like 3 or 4 packages using USPS for the price of shipping one package from Canadapost across Canada.  Stuff I ship to the US are usually delivered before Canadapost even 'accepts' the package in the sorting facility.  Even my Ebay auctions, I charge way more for shipping within Canada than to the US even though I live in Canada.  That's just how sad things are. 

If I was not able to ship via USPS, I wouldn't be able to sell anything on Ebay cause the costs for shipping would be too cost prohibitive.
B/S/T list:

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • Gathering dust awaiting new figures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 09:04:50 PM »

How are you doing it, Darth Woo? Pack stuff up & take it over the border to ship it?

dangerlinto

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 09:35:54 PM »

2- We are short staffed because a lot of employees need to stay home for different reasons (stay with kids, those with health problems);
3- Facilities are the same size as before this pandemic, we dont have more docks to unload the stuff;
4- Since the major warehouses (Amazon, Best Buy and so on) are located in Mississauga, the Gateway sorting plant in Toronto have many vans that await to be unloaded (sorry, I don't know how man), here in Montréal I heard that we had 350 vans waiting to be unloaded, with an average of 2000 parcels per van.

I'm just a postman, so I can only talk about the reality of my office that I see each day:
Some routes have like 150 parcels everyday, Most of our routes are evaluated at around 35 parcels/day. Our little Ford Transit can't hold much more parcels than that. Everyday we leave with what we have, it's ''clean floor'' when we leave. In christmas time, they offer overtime to deliver parcels after our shifts and on week-ends, at my office, management don't offer overtime to deliver parcels after our shifts or in the week-ends. A lot of us postman, again at my office, offered ourselves to do overtime, but it is refused. No more delivery guarantee so no need to rush to deliver.

Management don't care, so they don't feel the need to rush the delivery of these parcels and who the people blame for the delays, we the employee. It's a tactic that they excell in. Yes, we have a union, but believe me when I say that we the don't have the power to stop or delay the parcels, only management has. Don't believe me? You still are receiving flyers in your mailbox? We asked to stop them because it forced us to go every door and it was denied.

If your parcel don't move for a coupe of days, weeks for others, it means that it is still inside a van, and I fear that vans are not unloaded in a first come first served basis.

I also think that parcels from outside the country are not the corps priority, I haven't seen many parcels from the USA quite as often as I have to before this pandemic started.

I hope it helps and we hope, as you do, that management change his mind about the overtime (it helps me buy my toys too)....

A good friend of mine is a Canada Post carrier such as yourself and told me almost verbatim the same story.

Everyone wants things delivered now, there are less postal workers working and the facilities are the same size. 

Patience!

I don't even use Canada Post when I mail packages to the US anymore.  I can ship like 3 or 4 packages using USPS for the price of shipping one package from Canadapost across Canada.  Stuff I ship to the US are usually delivered before Canadapost even 'accepts' the package in the sorting facility.  Even my Ebay auctions, I charge way more for shipping within Canada than to the US even though I live in Canada.  That's just how sad things are. 

If I was not able to ship via USPS, I wouldn't be able to sell anything on Ebay cause the costs for shipping would be too cost prohibitive.

Yes, Chit chats is good ;)

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2020, 10:14:11 AM »

I feel bad for the front line employees. I am curious, was a proper contract ever signed after the strike was forced to end?

Darth Woo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020, 11:34:34 AM »

How are you doing it, Darth Woo? Pack stuff up & take it over the border to ship it?

As dangerlinto mentioned, yes, I do use Chit Chats.  I drop stuff off at the branch and they do daily deliveries across the border to ship.  They charge a small fee, but is still way cheaper than Canadapost.

My friend is a Canadapost delivery person too.  For a while, he was the one delivering to my work place so whenever I got a package, he'd just call me up to meet him outside so I didn't have to go to reception.  Unfortunately, someone with higher seniority wanted his route so he lost it.
B/S/T list:

Goldenrod

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 02:36:59 PM »

I feel bad for the front line employees. I am curious, was a proper contract ever signed after the strike was forced to end?

Still no new contract. Arbitration ended in may I think with Canada Post begging the arbitrator that we deserve a salary less than the 2% raise they offered back in 2017. Decision supposed to drop on june 30

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Execute Order 67!!! Bring in the space horses!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2020, 06:53:14 AM »

Looks like the Canada Post story is now making the news. Did this Snowtroopers thread inspire a local reporter to write about it?   :P

https://globalnews.ca/news/7048741/coronavirus-canada-post-delay/

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2020, 01:01:04 PM »

I just don't get the 2m distancing. Wear a mask, gloves, suits and you could reduce that distancing quite considerably. authorities are simply too lame and lack leadership to do that. What do people do in subways, buses, etc?

Anyway. Been waiting for 1 month for a package that usually takes 10 days to get here. You figured that USPS would be even worse than Canada Post. Well no. Packages coming from the USA get to Mississauga in 2 days even from California! But once they get to Mississauga, you're in for at least 10 days before it's even being looked at by Customs, then at least 2 weeks before it's put in a van by Canada Post. Then at least 2 weeks in transit time where ever you need it to go.

Again, my question: WHY DO THINGS MOVE NORMALLY IN THE USA BUT NOT IN CANADA?

Just saying. Comparing ourselves may be the key to improve matters.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 01:05:52 PM by JediPatrick »
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2020, 09:31:28 AM »

Still no new contract. Arbitration ended in may I think with Canada Post begging the arbitrator that we deserve a salary less than the 2% raise they offered back in 2017. Decision supposed to drop on june 30

I see contract details were posted today/yesterday.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 175353
  • Total Topics: 14604
  • Online Today: 287
  • Online Ever: 755
  • (January 23, 2020, 04:54:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 222
Total: 223

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 45 queries.